Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Would you have the mood for a project in spirit of Clau1024?

Replaying Claustrophobia 1024 and its sequel just reminded me, how much did I love it when it was fresh, and I played the first time - back in the days when I was out of the entire community yet. The bright colors, the amazing details and the great executions and ideas make me want play even more of things like this.

Well, I know that visuals and details are not strictly related to the "1024x1024 map size" concept, but unless you have a better idea, I'd be willing to organize a new one.

What do you think? Is there demand for it?

Katamori said:

Don't you mean MAYhem 2048? Or did I miss an 1024 edition?

No, there was only a 2048 edition.

Honestly, I think 1024 is one of the worst project restrictions. To start with, there just aren't many new ways to explore a map restriction of such a small size. They've pretty much all been done, and even if someone was able to figure out a cool idea that explores the restriction it would just be buried within ~30 other maps that are regular levels squeezed into a tiny box.

For what it's worth, if you were to try and work on a mapsize restricted project Katamori, I think 2048 is a much better size to work with. It's still small, but I don't think tight and unfun architecture would be anywhere near as much of an issue as it would be with 1024.

Marcaek said:

Find another gimmick. At least 2048 (which had 2 wads itself already)

joe-ilya said:

What about 2048x1024?

an_mutt said:

For what it's worth, if you were to try and work on a mapsize restricted project Katamori, I think 2048 is a much better size to work with. It's still small, but I don't think tight and unfun architecture would be anywhere near as much of an issue as it would be with 1024.

I'm not obsessed with the idea, actually - I'm ready for these ideas, if I can preserve the spirit of Clau series. Community Chest 4 was also partially able to do it, but I definitely don't want to make a project of that scope - I'm not even remotely close to the patience of TGH.

It's been done by some mappers but not all. It will be fun at least for these mappers that have never made a 1024 map.

I don't know if there is any point in "I'm not interested" replies. Maybe just wait and see how many people say "I'm in" and then proceed from there.

Katamori said:

Don't you mean MAYhem 2048? Or did I miss an 1024 edition?

Ah dang, you're right. (dunno why I said that, must be some post-stream tiredness or something)
And I actually didn't mind the 2048x2048 format, since I felt it still imposed a size limit challenge yet allowed for decent maps to be made.

So if anything perhaps 2048 could be the new 1024 if there HAS to be more size limiting community projects.

Kuchitsu, given the fact that we are a small community and the majority of you are better Doom players AND mappers than me, I'm ready for ideas if that can make more people join.

I just want a community WAD of compact, detailed, creative and colorful maps, just like Clau1024 1&2 did. Whatever idea or rule makes it real, I'm into it.

In all honesty, small maps with no room to run around in are really annoying to me. And it just doesn't end up being an interesting experience because there's not really anywhere to go and see stuff or and big areas for gameplay to happen in. Plus there's been so many restriction projects in the past few years they all just seem to be overdone.

Classic styled gameplay in cramped spaces tends to suck. However, I'd be up for a wad of 1024x1024 maps with no monsters and centered just about puzzles and maze running - the size limit alone should make them much less unbearable than they normally tend to be, even fun on their own.

Personally, I'd like to see a project take on small maps in a Scythe-like fashion; in other words, maybe it doesn't have to have an absolute limit to 1024 or 2048, but just something small enough and playable within a short time without the need to make cramped spaces. I think that'd be a lot of fun.

Scifista's idea is great! We should name it "Eternal Claustrophobia" or something. "Epic 1024" sounds good too.

DoomLover234 said:

We should name it "Eternal Claustrophobia" or something. "Epic 1024" sounds good too.

Both of your names sound like names for generic classic-styled-gameplay 1024 wads. I think it should be made clear from the name alone that this wad wouldn't be like that. Dumb but self-demonstrating example: "Puzzlephobia 1024".

How about "Eternal Doom 2," but instead of medieval archtecture, it mocks various forums and internet memes?

It's so dumb it might actually work!

A puzzle-focused 1024 mapset could be interesting if pulled off well. I don't think it would be my cup of tea from a mapping standpoint (I'm pretty terrible at making puzzley stuff), but it could be fun to play if done right.

I remember around the time Claus1024 was wrapping up, essel [I think] had the idea to try a 1024x1024x1024 limitation using Eternity's linked portals. I always thought that could have been a really neat idea (and it would be nice to see something made for EE). In theory this affords you more horizontal slices of mapping real estate, though you toss away some vertical flexibility (a nice trade-off from a design standpoint, I think). The only sticking point I can see with that idea, in a community project setting at least, is that your pool of potential mapper's is going to be a bit more restricted since lots of people would need to learn out to use the linked portals properly.

Alternatively, a Doom 64 1024 mapset, in the KEX engine, would be cool to see (and fun to make). Though maybe that's just because I'd really love to play some more custom Doom 64 maps :P

If I weren't already so far up my own ass with personal project's, I'd probably try to organize another community project of some kind.

A Doom 64 1024 would be great, but as I said, I rather want to reproduce the feeling which would not be possible in that, I afraid.

A puzzle-based 1024 project would also have restricted group of mappers, but I think it's acceptable if they can pull out more than one map.

I have the mood to contribute to a generic CP with a little twist. A CP where the first episode is in spacebases such as phobos and deimos (or the moon, any planet), second's in hell, third's on earth, all using a texture pack, boom compability and being for doom2. For example.

Or a CP where each map resembles a country, there's no hell or phobos or anything like that;
but all the maps must be set on earth in a certain country, if you wanna make a map resembling greece put many ancient greek architectures in it, wanna make a map resembling china? Make it based around the great wall of china, wanna make a map resembling Israel's Jerusalem? Make the whole map out of brown rocks and ruins, etc.

I didn't know I wanted a 1024x1024x1024 project until now.

I don't know the first thing about portals, but screw it. Consider me down with that.

an_mutt said:

I didn't know I wanted a 1024x1024x1024 project until now.

1024^3 could be nice using zdoom 3d bridges.

Another idea can be to build a level which remains in a circle of radius = 648.