Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Ultimatum - Riding on the Backs of Giants [Now on /idgames!]

PM received, I'm glad to have received the 1 hour speedmap category. I acknowledge the deadline of 31st of May. I'll possibly stream the mapping session as proof of the 1 hour limitation.

Good luck to all participants!

Thanks for the theme, I know exactly which 1 monster type out of the D1-only bestiary I'll employ in my map!

scifista42 said:

Thanks for the theme, I know exactly which 1 monster type out of the D1-only bestiary I'll employ in my map!

Lost souls?

Good luck to all; I look forward to playing this interesting-sounding cp when it's done.

The idea sounds interesting, so I'll be somewhat intrigued to play this to see if good execution can occur!

Call me a lazy bastard if you so wish, is there a wad that has the sky already included? Means I can get to work on my 1-hour limitation that much quicker. ;)

rileymartin said:

Death Egg, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

rileymartin, before you spam the newproject tag, make sure the target member isn't someone with several projects under their belt. Keep in mind, you've only been here a few months and you look like a tool.

I'm actually rather happy about the resulting map from my hour speedmapping session. Please can anyone test this and respond with your opinions?

I imagine it'd be 'cheating' to react to your thoughts and suggestions, but if anything gamebreaking / really ugly is spotted I'm happy to fix it.

Grab the map!

In the above link, difficulty settings are not implemented, consider that the UV equivalent. If you're okay for difficulty settings to be implemented outside of my limitation, then please use the below link instead.

Grab the (better) map!

Decided at one point to go for a reality run, but I got damaged by nukage once and then by a shotgunner. FDA for the second one:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ac9ek77b8n3t3a4/duswd_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Yeah, it's impossible to criticize a 1-hr speedmap, but the monster count would probably be ideal halved, which would give players flexibility to not kill many of the non-threatening monsters that block various paths. I realized that after some UV-speed attempts. Here's the best time (0:39).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c09edizmmcd009k/duswd_rdwpa_uvs2.lmp

The first outdoor group usually doesn't part so easily. That very first pinky in particular blocks the hallway on 90% of runs, forcing quick resets.

It's a fun map! Forgot to record myself playing it, but I did find a part where you could get stuck. In the bit with the elevator that lowers and releases monsters I tried to get onto one of them and there was no switch to bring me back down.

Thanks for playing it Death Egg! That sure is the nature of speedmapping. If I'm allowed to bend the rules for the purpose of bugfixing I#ll happily add some switches.

Hextech

Restriction: 50 Monsters.
Music: Freighthoppers.mid from 30in30 4 by Jimmy
Notes: All difficulties have 50 monsters, coop starts, the sky is in the wad so I could play with it.
Gallery:

Dragonfly said:

Thanks for playing it Death Egg! That sure is the nature of speedmapping. If I'm allowed to bend the rules for the purpose of bugfixing I#ll happily add some switches.

Absolutely, I'm fine with implementing difficulty levels and fixing game-breaking bugs like that. Anything else would be off limits though.

Yeah, i made a map!
It's finished for me, sorry for the bare bones aspect but that's the better i can do with the restriction given...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7o4r2g4rrw40cni/ult-e1m2a.wad

no title for now...
Restriction: 10 sectors
Slot: E1M2
Build time: 3 days
Music: "Waning Hall" by Jimmy, from the 30in30 midi album

Of course tell me if you found any problems or any feedback, it will be really appreciated!

I will have to get around to playing both of your maps at some point, been swamped with work and other things lately so I've been very slowly chipping away at my own map in the meantime. Here's a preview, the level layout is only about 50% done and hardly any item placement has happened yet, but it's chugging along.

In case people are wondering, I got stuck with 64:64, which is why everything is so boxy.

My submission now has music, difficulty settings and bug fixes based on the comments of Death Egg, and is all packaged up ready to go.

Here you go!

The music was sourced from vgmusic.com. You can find this midi under the PS2 section. The midi is "Combat 4: Event Boss Battle" from the game "Grandia Xtreme" (An RPG that's been on my 'buy & play' list for too long.)

I'll do a round of betatesting when more maps are available :)

Dragonfly said:

Kinda easy on UV, but good flow. Nice submission. The music was cool. Beat it in about 4:00 3x100% with full health. Maybe you could have left a few [medkits] (1?) out. I don't know where it fits in the project, so maybe that's what you're going for.

I was aiming for the map01/02 slot with this map. I've intentionally spent very little time balancing the difficulty as I didn't want to 'break my limitation' too much, so to speak. I do agree, perhaps replacing the 2 medkits on the bridge with stimpaks would probably work best.

scifista42 said:

64:64 doesn't imply that all linedefs should be orthogonal. They can be non-orthogonal as long as their end vertices lie on the 64 grid.

In laymans terms, you can 'cut across' with diagonal lines as long as the vertices themselves land on the 64:64 grid. :)

Thank you for taking the time to play the map, Major Arlene. I'm particularly pleased that you had said it was a good map before you knew which limitation I was bound by!

scifista42 said:

64:64 doesn't imply that all linedefs should be orthogonal. They can be non-orthogonal as long as their end vertices lie on the 64 grid.

Oh, shit, well that opens up a whole new world for detailing then.

No promises, but I'll look to have a go at other people's contributions tonight and provide feedback.

It's good to know that this project is beginning to take shape! My own map is also nearing completion, and is in fact also inspired by the second episode. E2M1 to be precise. I got the 1024 limitation, and before I implement some of the later additions, I'll just make sure that we're on the same page regarding said limit.
So, is the following statement correct?

"A 1024-style map has a playable area of 1024 (yes, that's right) units. The mapper can only add decoration, monster cells for teleport traps et cetera beyond that point. The player is allowed cross the 1024 boundary provided that he is killed upon doing so."

That's the commonly accepted 1024 ruleset! Just as you said, you can have anything you want outside of the 1024 setting (Including visible monsters), as long as the player(s) cannot leave the area, and if they can, they die.

Simple. :)

Dragonfly said:

...as long as the player(s) cannot leave the area, and if they can, they die.

Or exit the map.

My map's going to be about 4 skyscrapers as 4 rooms and an outdoor area as another room.