Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Instant Lifts

Er I thought I posted this a few hours ago... ah well, probably has to do with my connection crapping out randomly today. Anyway, you know those instant lifts that move up/down in the blink of an eye as you walk over/off them (go check out xfire4 from last week's /newstuff, there's an example), I'd like er, a detailed explantion of how to do that exactly because I couldn't pull it off just looking at the map for reference...

Yeah and I coudn't find a tut for this on dw so if there is one forgive me.

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx11.shtml

That doesn't really explain it... basically, if you make a sector and tag it to a "raise to highest floor" linedef, but all the sectors touching it are lower than it, it will instantly jump to the height of the highest sector it is touching.

Conversely, if you tag a sector as "lower to lowest adjacent floor" and there are no lower adjacent floors, it will jump up automatically.

i dont know offhand the exact specifics of which linetypes will do it and which wont, but the basic jist is if you set a floor to move up to some sort of target which is below it (eg up to highest neighboring floor, but the highest neighboring floor is below it), then the floor will move instantly, down, or it will move up at regular pace forever, depending on linetype i think. same thing with ceilings. or maybe they all can do instant motion. but the basic gist is if you want something to go down instantly, select an up linedef type, and also make sure that the target with this linedef type (LnC, NnF, etc) is *lower*. the reverse applies to instant motion up.

sorry if that doesnt help, its 4:00 am here and i'm tired.

They way I did it is to create a sector outside the map (i'll call it sector A) which represents the bridge you want to control (same floor/ceiling height etc) and connect two sectors adjacent to it.

Make one of the sectors have a ceiling/floor height of the floor you want the bridge to lower to (say 0/0), and the other the height the bridge its to be raised (eg ceiling and floor height 128/128).

Now merge sector A with the bridge in the map. Building it the way reduces the 'clunk' noise when the lift operates.

To raise the bridge use 'WR lowerfloor to highest adjacent floor' which will raise the bridge to the ceiling height (128 in this case). To lower the bridge use 'WR Raisefloor to lowest adjacent ceiling'. Tag these to the bridge.

The Gothic maps (GothicDM, Gothic2) have good examples of the instant bidge in action.

It does indeed work - and looks great - in most doom ports. Unfortunatly, glBSP'ing the map for a GL port screws up the effect.
A pain, that.

Spike said:

It does indeed work - and looks great - in most doom ports. Unfortunatly, glBSP'ing the map for a GL port screws up the effect.
A pain, that.

I've tried two maps with instant lifts in jDOOM (calculates the gwa file on loading the map), both work fine. Is there a specific map that doesn't work?

fen boi said:

I've tried two maps with instant lifts in jDOOM (calculates the gwa file on loading the map), both work fine. Is there a specific map that doesn't work?

I think he means when he includes the GL nodes inside the PWAD...