Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tuaam

What are your thoughts on the Snapmap stream?

Honestly, I think it's better than what we anticipated, considering that you have a variety of larger rooms coupled with smaller rooms (You might even be able to make bigger rooms out of smaller rooms). They even make it so that you can change the player speed.

Loving it so far, I was already sold with the multiplayer (Don´t kill me) and this only fueled my anticipation. One thing I find concerning that I don´t believe anyone has noticed, is the two weapon limit on the Snapmap showcase.

I think I recall Tom saying something about the matter (implying you could set up the game to carry all guns), but I may be wrong.

Even without the singleplayer campaign, I'd kind of want to get the game just to make the stupidest shit. Dootrealm and Sanic 3: Arena would be a funderful time throughout to create. All around the game seems like it was made with the simple goal of being fun and amusing without any pretense, so that's something rather appealing to me.

I liked it but was annoyed that they showed off mediocre stuff like the basket ball game and the count too ten. Would of been better with just MP/CooP/SP. They also didn't answer any of the twitch questions like they promised.

My biggest concerns:

-Unable to edit monster/projectile colors/skins.
-The 4 player limit! This for example will make CTF flags pointless.
-Map size consolitis.

In the future I expect the limits to be lifted for PC's. We shall see...

I liked what they showed, I found the stream itself very annoying though, too much talking over each other and explaining things like we've never played a game before.

Zemini said:

-Map size consolitis.

In the future I expect the limits to be lifted for PC's. We shall see...

You don't even know what these limits are, yet. It's the blind leading the blind off a cliff!

And no, they can't be lifted. The entire point is that all maps are shared on all platforms and network connections (so it's not even just a PC/Console hardware limit).

Jaxxoon R said:

Even without the singleplayer campaign, I'd kind of want to get the game just to make the stupidest shit. Dootrealm and Sanic 3: Arena would be a funderful time throughout to create. All around the game seems like it was made with the simple goal of being fun and amusing without any pretense, so that's something rather appealing to me.

Since E1M2 is possible in snapmap, anything else should.

Yes because every single PC player ever has a $4200 PC that can perfectly run every single game ever at 7K 800Fps, so clearly there shouldn't be any limitations at all, like seriously there is no such thing as an underpowered PC, ever

Zemini said:

I liked it but was annoyed that they showed off mediocre stuff like the basket ball game and the count too ten. Would of been better with just MP/CooP/SP. They also didn't answer any of the twitch questions like they promised.

If all they did was show off generic DM #382 then go to generic TDM #1043, the range of Snapmap wouldn't have been shown off.
We know how the game will be played, so having slight variances in modes wouldn't be as big as a countdown map, a memory based map, a basketball map, a boss-fight focused map, etc etc for a stream dedicated to showing off Snapmap.
Also, its been confirmed you can edit monster's skins.

I also liked how they rigged together a ghetto dialogue system for Kevin just for him to spout cheesy 80's cartoon villain one-liners. I was hoping to be able to do something like that.

Tuaam said:

Have you already seen that E1M2 level? You sound so confident! May be I missed that wonderfull recreation of e1m2? I can make a BS map and call it E2M5 the problem is that'd be a lie.

id.dav said:

Have you already seen that E1M2 level? You sound so confident! May be I missed that wonderfull recreation of e1m2? I can make a BS map and call it E2M5 the problem is that'd be a lie.

Have you already seen that E1M2 level? You sound so pessimistic and salty! Maybe you missed the point of snapmap and it doesn't fulfill your exacting demands? I certainly could say the snapmap couldn't do a 1:1 recreation of Descent and I'd be right as far as saying that a pizza is not a very fast bicycle.

Besides, from the looks of things, if you can't manage to do a recreation of E2M5 in snapmap, maybe you're just not a very map designer? It certainly looks like you could. If you are given a tool and all you can make is excuses...

Tuaam said:

I sort of doubt it is going to be a 1:1 of the map. Since there is no way to create custom geometry or the like, it may sort of look like it but it won't be able to fully keep the shape of the map. Though I wasn't really expecting it to be able to do that (and I can only assume the updates to it will add more functionality).

I like how id.dave is essentially giving the same reaction as all those "NOT QUAKE3" folks. Instead of judging Snapmap for what Snapmap is and comparing what it does for itself to its only other peer (Mario Maker), they're comparing it to a completely different entity (actual external level design tools).

LittleBurger said:

I sort of doubt it is going to be a 1:1 of the map. Since there is no way to create custom geometry or the like, it may sort of look like it but it won't be able to fully keep the shape of the map.

They could have used the smaller pieces to make the larger rooms. You can make a room with columns by probably using a few 4 - way pieces.

Jaxxoon R said:

I like how id.dave is essentially giving the same reaction as all those "NOT QUAKE3" folks. Instead of judging Snapmap for what Snapmap is and comparing what it does for itself to its only other peer (Mario Maker), they're comparing it to a completely different entity (actual external level design tools).

Yeah I judge SnapMap for what it is and that's why I avoid such statements like: "Oh if E1M2 is possible then everything is possible!" Because as I sad I can then do anything I want in SnapMap and call it anything I want. Recreating E1M2 is objectivly impossible in SnapMap and the way they teased that E1M2 in the stream was not very good of them because they mislead people!
Hence the conclusion:
I judge SnapMap exactly for what it is - it is a severely limiting map designing tool in wich one must show ultimate level of creativity to make his creation look as unique as possible and completely eliminating any possibility to recreat anything at all, but instead SM allows great possibilitie in gameplay creation.

id.dav said:

Recreating E1M2 is objectivly impossible in SnapMap and the way they teased that E1M2 in the stream was not very good of them because they mislead people!

Edward850 said:

If you are given a tool and all you can make is excuses...

Hey, maybe we should do a launch day competition for doing E2M5 recreations in Snapmap? If id.dav isn't creative enough to do it, let everyone else try.

I was genuinely surprised with what I saw today with snap-map. I kind of had a general idea on what snap-map was capable of, but actually seeing in action really impressed me. Everything is customizable and i fucking love that. My only problem with snap-map is the 4 player limit, but that goes without saying.

That was done with an actual level editor though, it doesn't prove you can work within Snapmap's limitations at all. All it does prove is, again, that you're comparing Snapmap to actual level design tools, which it is not.

Tuaam said:

They could have used the smaller pieces to make the larger rooms. You can make a room with columns by probably using a few 4 - way pieces.

They could likely do that, but with how the prefabs likely won't be alterable shape wise it wouldn't be a full recreation of it (not counting textures and the like). Not that you couldn't likely make a map that resembles it decently in ways.

Though this is the seems like that is the base SnapMap starting out, who knows what functionality they will add to it later on. Though if they are keeping it the snapmap on equal grounds for pc and console, then it may not be to the extent that we would likely want from it (not an actual map maker, but say making our own prefabs and the like).

Jaxxoon R said:

That was done with an actual level editor though, it doesn't prove you can work within Snapmap's limitations at all. All it does prove is, again, that you're comparing Snapmap to actual level design tools, which it is not.

Yes of course DUDE! How, how can I possibly be able to play around with lego toys...HOW....I'm a moron that can only work with idStudio, how can I even dare to compete with SnapMap proDUDES!

Jaxxoon R said:

Here's my submission:
http://i.imgur.com/3UDRmsF.jpg
I hope I win!

FAILED.

reason:

not a map, though the sandwich might pass if we were doing a sandwich contest, but we're not. I guarantee that if we had a sandwich contest it would be 1st place.

Also that egg would be better off on a bagel. And is that a fucking watermelon slice on top of the egg?

Jaxxoon R said:

I just realized that jokewads are entirely possible, considering that you can put text on screen. You can use this to simulate doomguy's dialouge.

id.dav said:

Yes of course DUDE! How, how can I possibly be able to play around with lego toys...HOW....I'm a moron that can only work with idStudio, how can I even dare to compete with SnapMap proDUDES!

Actually this is more of a comparison with you competing against a child to build a dinosaur, and you're throwing a hissy fit because all you have is a lego set and not a full professional modeling kit.

And the child is winning.

If you were any good as a level designer, that lego set would not be a limitation to your artistic reaction of a dinosaur. Nobody is doubting that you are good at making complete level models with professional tools. You are not being asked to make a complete level model with professional tools in any way, shape or form.

id.dav said:

Don't act like snapmap makes it impossible to mod for this game, if there really is such a demand for a thing, people will write their own tools. Like they had to for the original game.