• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperDon

[DEMO] Membrane - a standalone game in GZDoom

Mod DB
Website

MEMBRANE
Membrane is a game being developed in the GZDoom engine. Featuring fast gameplay, expansive labyrinthine levels, with fun sci fi weapons and powers.
Membrane is a throwback to classic First Person Shooters, inspired by the likes of Jedi Knight, Duke Nukem 3d, and of course Doom.

Download Page

STORY
You awaken in the crumbling ruins of a laboratory. An alien membrane covers your arms and back. You hear it in your head... responding to your thoughts, telling you to escape!
As you climb into the light, it becomes clear you have been the subject of alien experimentation. You can hear a patrol in the distance... you will have to fight your way out and find a way
back to Earth!

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE
I have some of my own footage, but screw it: Randomize User does a great funny playthrough of the whole thing (except he misses all the secrets :cry: )

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
I'm actually not too sure what the system requirements will be for this, but you have to be able to run GZDoom so you need an OpenGL capable graphics card. This game uses a lot of 3d models.

TIPS
You will need to use jump and crouch!
There are four weapons in the Demo.
Weapons all have a secondary fire.
Blow up cracks in the wall.
Play in CO-OP for a slightly different experience.

ETC
I am looking for feedback! Love the game? Hate it? Have any issues running it, or the launcher, let me know.
I am a long time lurker on this forum, so hi... Actually I may have registered here years ago. The idea is to monetize this at some point and create a full game. If any experienced level editors would like to collaborate on this, send me a message.

Since it's using GZDoom 2, the system requirements include a card that supports OpenGL 3 or higher... which excludes me, sadly, as this looks like a really cool project. I tried running it in an older version of GZDoom but performance was too poor to be playable -- don't know whether that's my very old computer, or due to using the older GZDoom.

Also, the launcher has a pretty limited choice of resolutions, and didn't like when I manually typed in a custom one.

That's all I can offer I'm afraid! Good luck with it, the art style looks really nice.

I wonder what new things will be added to this mod, interesting start, I especially like how you must kill the armored aliens by pulling their armor off. Try to add some flyers next time and a new theme.

This also looks inspired from half-life 1.

Damn, this is really impressive, especially considering the fact that you're the sole creator (well, music composer aside, cool tunes btw). Props for using 3D models as well, the protagonist looks especially neat (from the rear at least, heh). Just... wow, it's hard to imagine just how much dedication one must possess for something like that.

Took me some time to crack the demo level, though it's mainly due to all the new mechanics and features, like understanding how the tentacle works or that crates are pushable, for instance. Jaguar enemies are cool, I liked how it's not totally obvious how to deal with them.

My only gripe would be that the game was a bit too dark, and I never found a way to increase gamma. If there's none - it'd be a good idea to implement it I suppose.

Overall though, it looks promising and innovative, like if, say, Harmony, Wrack and something alien-related (Natural Selection 2 is my pick, it's got claws and tentacles, too!) had a child. Not an ordinary mix for sure, quite a shake-up for good ol' [gz]doom grandpa. Keep it up, and devilspeed!

Wow, this looks super ambitious. Some of GZDoom's limitations (mainly to do with lighting) are evident, but it still looks really nice by virtue of how polished and cohesive your custom resources are! The aliens are a bit on the cartoony side but I get the impression it's intentional.

plums, what are your system specs? I imagine it's the larger textures slowing things down more than anything. Good call on the launcher, I will add a box to type in a resolution.

joe-ilya: There is already a flying enemy model sitting on my hard drive just waiting to be added. I need to get on that. Half life is also an inspiration, for sure.

merlin86: I know about gloome, and I have a build of my game with it. There are a couple of things I didn't like. since they removed fmod the sounds don't carry correctly, you can hear enemies breathing everywhere on the map. Fmod is free for indies now. Also the old renderer makes everything more pixely/grainy looking than I like, and it stretches the models vertically. It's weird. I will probably take out the software renderer myself at some point so I can sell it.

Demonologist: You should be able to adjust brightness in settings, unless I accidentally disabled that option. hmm...

esselfortium: Trying to follow how doom did it with cartoony, yet somehow scary enemies. Thats the idea anyway.

SuperDon said:

plums, what are your system specs? I imagine it's the larger textures slowing things down more than anything.

Ancient. Athlon XP 2400, Radeon HD 3650 video card. I also figured it was the large textures - performance is fine for a bit but freezes entirely for some time when I move to a new area, which is probably textures trying to load. It wasn't too bad until I encountered the first enemies at which point it became unbearable. Anyhow I might try manually downscaling the textures sometime for myself to try it, I certainly don't expect you to support my antique hardware.

Just wanna give this thing a bump and say that after playing it I am highly looking forward to progress you make on this; it's a lot of fun and very well done!

My only two (minor) gripes are a few misaligned textures, like in the room that gives the tentacle, and that the aliens say "there he is" and "blast him" while the player character is clearly a female.

Aside from those two very minor things, this thing is a lot of fun and shows great promise. In a way it reminds me very much of Metroid. Definitely keep us posted on progress you make on this thing man.

Thank you Fonze, I'll keep you updated.

I finally had a chance to record a video of the flying enemy I'm working on. Still thinking about additional behaviors to give this guy. His name in code is "Saucerhead" Since I haven't come up with a decent name for him yet.

I like the alien theme, enemies and weapons, and although I'm not yet sure about the quality of level design and gameplay balance, this game looks really promising to me.