Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wovenloaf

Most epic/complex custom Doom level?

I know that there are a few silly and notoriously large levels like NUTS.WAD and HOLYHELL.WAD, but that's not what I'm thinking of. I'm wondering what is the most epic and complex Doom level ever made. Not merely one big room with a bunch of monsters, but structured like a serious level, with a lot of different parts to it. To my understanding, the 5th level of Deus Vult is at least a strong contender. Can anyone name the winner?

What do you mean by "large" or "complex"? For example, I think that Alien Vendetta: Misri Halek (MAP20) is extremely complex and well designed too - but it can be sped-run in 20 minutes. Even I've made a few maps that are 30-45 minutes of standard gameplay.

There's also a bunch of stuff listed at this post that mentions similar things. (Most notable, ZDCMP2 comes to my mind)

Alien Vendetta map 20, Misri Halek, without a doubt IMO.

Also, some good big maps are pl2 map 17 and map 29. And even though it's a "different" type of level, also avj map32 deserves a mention.

What about Mindfuck.wad? Video doesn't work anymore, but the download link still does. Note that this is a different "Mindfuck" than the one on Moddb which is a gameplay mod.

Gothic99 was noted in the infamous section for going overboard with the detail. The first of its levels essentially takes Map 01 of Doom 2 and just fills it completely with little nooks and crannies.

check Comatose.wad which maxes the linedef limit, and is brilliant and unique except compared to other maps by the same author and if it doesn't get a Cacoward some people will be very cross =P

MetroidJunkie said:

Gothic99 was noted in the infamous section for going overboard with the detail. The first of its levels essentially takes Map 01 of Doom 2 and just fills it completely with little nooks and crannies.

TBQH, much of the detail was copy & paste, and very fractal-like in nature. Essentially, you could achieve the same degree of "detail" by diving the floors and ceilings of every map into small square grids, assign them to the same sector, and lower them all together. TA-DAH, instant "detail". Repeat ad nauseam for walls etc.

KDiZD map 03 is the most complex, over-detailed and confusing map I've ever played.

(or maybe not map 03, I forgot which one of them is the most complex; they all are complex as hell)

Maes said:

TBQH, much of the detail was copy & paste, and very fractal-like in nature. Essentially, you could achieve the same degree of "detail" by diving the floors and ceilings of every map into small square grids, assign them to the same sector, and lower them all together. TA-DAH, instant "detail". Repeat ad nauseam for walls etc.

Well, the thread didn't specify it had to be uniquely crafted detail.

Sunder Map07-14
Stardate20x6 Map07
Hellbound Map24
Newgothic movement 1 Map21
Doom 2 Reload Map32, Map29.
Deus Vult 1/2 of course.

The most complex level that I ever finished was Object 34 I think. Took me 3 hours of continuous playing (no deaths). One of my best Doom experiences for sure. After it I couldn't really get into most other maps by Lainos, it overshadows them too much. The fact that he just keeps making these cities again and again doesn't help...

Espi's MAP27: The Shrine, from Eternal Doom IV, is the most epic-feeling and immersive level I've played for Doom. It might not be the largest in technical stats, but it feels remarkably like a real place, with multiple expansive and distinct regions to explore.

I'll say... Vrack 1, it took me 55 minutes to beat it.
(haven't tried the remaining two parts yet, though, but they seem to be even bigger)

I'd say Minas Morgul from from Deus Vult 2. Really, really liked it visually and it was also fun to play.