Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tonbery

Doom-like game - Devil's Hand

Hey people, on april 15th I participated of Ludum Dare
(a game development challenge on a weekend) and I made a fast paced FPS inspired on Doom.

It's free and I'm getting feedbacks for a possible updates.
If you can spend some time playing and sharing your opinion, ok?

Game page link:
http://gamejolt.com/games/devil-s-hand/141891

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section, I already sent an email to the admins but did not get any return from they.

Thanks everyone!

looks pretty cool actually. I know this is in early development, but throw in some more wall textures similar to the one currently featured. (i'm sure you already intend to.)

Honestly it's pretty bad.

The only "gun" you have doesn't feel satisfying to use and not just because because it's a energy hand thing but also because the projectiles come out of your hand and not face. In any other fps bullets don't actually come out of your gun but instead of your face making it very jarring for anybody who has other fps'. Inaccurate hit boxes also don't help. Projectiles coming out of your hand also make it difficult to use your gun when you are hugging a wall (shots instantly hit the wall when shot). This could be fixed if you could switch hands like in some splinter cell titles. The different fire modes are completely pointless because they serve the same purpose

The shooting arenas are very basic offering next to nothing in cover, flanking options or vantage points. Game also lacks in enemy variety. There are only one melee enemy and reskins of the same ranged enemy. Visually arenas where confusing with random doors you could open and others you couldn't.

Claiming that this is fast paced is a rather bold statement considering that the movement speed is barely faster than most games walking speed. You don't even have basic controls like crouching and jumping.

GUI doesn't scale up properly on big monitors.

how did you make it? Tell us about it if you could. Thanks in advance.

Ok, it was pretty cool, worked pretty good for alpha. I think it would be nice if it were sped up, and to be able to jump. you could have more done in the fx department to give enemies deaths more "satisfaction". Why do the weapons go away after you teleport? While the weapons are cool it kinda was just use um if you got um. And the only thing that bugged me was the latency, it was laging pretty hard, half second? also they could shoot me through the doors. But ya this was really neat, thanks for showing us. It looks like It could go somewhere.

illuknisaa said:

The only "gun" you have doesn't feel satisfying to use and not just because because it's a energy hand thing but also because the projectiles come out of your hand and not face. In any other fps bullets don't actually come out of your gun but instead of your face making it very jarring for anybody who has other fps'.

I actually learned that the hard way when I was making a game myself. I wanted the projectile to actually come out of the gun but it was angled so the cross-hair was completely unreliable. I just decided screw realism, I'll have it fire just in-front of the camera so you can actually aim correctly.

MrGlide said:

how did you make it? Tell us about it if you could. Thanks in advance.

Hey :)
you can check the post mortem here:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/devils-hand/news/devils-hand-post-mortem

If you have any other question just ask!

I'm working on a new version right now, I hope to fix all the issues
Weapons going away - bug
Jump and speed - coming on the new version
Weapon latency - needs balancing :(
Enemies shooting through - bug

Thank you very much for the feedback :D

MetroidJunkie said:

I actually learned that the hard way when I was making a game myself. I wanted the projectile to actually come out of the gun but it was angled so the cross-hair was completely unreliable. I just decided screw realism, I'll have it fire just in-front of the camera so you can actually aim correctly.

Yes, I'm working on this issue right now, trying to avoid it but I think I'll end implementing the same solution as you.

Thank you!

Chezza said:

In case people are looking for more old school inspired FPS games, check out Bunker Punks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgeurQaGRE

YES! this game looks awesome!
but I'm still crazy to play Gibhard http://www.gibhard.com/

tonbery said:

Weapon latency - needs balancing :(
http://www.gibhard.com/

Do you have Vsync enabled? it wasn't just weapons, when I looked around there was lag. for feedback just post an update here I'll be glad to give some.

I liked the game, I think it has a lot potential. I do think it's a little on the slow side for that kind of gameplay, and there times where I had some minor lag though that might have just been me. Also perhaps think giving the enemies more animation if possible.. But if that can't be done it's not a big deal in my opinion.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I liked the game, I think it has a lot potential. I do think it's a little on the slow side for that kind of gameplay, and there times where I had some minor lag though that might have just been me. Also perhaps think giving the enemies more animation if possible.. But if that can't be done it's not a big deal in my opinion.

:D

Yep, I'm adding more mobility to the game, it adds a lot to the dynamic :)

About the animation, I'm not making it right now, but sure it'll be there on a later version :)

Thanks for the feedback!

MrGlide said:

Do you have Vsync enabled? it wasn't just weapons, when I looked around there was lag. for feedback just post an update here I'll be glad to give some.

I'm working on a new version, soon I'll post it here!

I have no idea what is causing this lag issue :( yes, vsync is on... gonna add it to the option menu

Thanks for the feedback!

tonbery said:

I have no idea what is causing this lag issue :( yes, vsync is on... gonna add it to the option menu

Thanks for the feedback!

That's prolly my problem then, I'm a bit sensitive to lag and always have to turn vsynce off. having it in options will be great, when you update I'll let you know if it fixes it.

MrGlide said:

That's prolly my problem then, I'm a bit sensitive to lag and always have to turn vsynce off. having it in options will be great, when you update I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Thanks MrGlide! :)

Looks like they achieved the creepy atmosphere... Now can they make it memorable and trust me if it is another of those, "The Player was hallucinating the whole time!" it at least won't be memorable for one person. Underboob and Five Nights at Freddybob's are bad according to so-called hardcore gamers.. Yet they don't notice how a lot of horror games keep recycling the same ideas... That is if Five Nights at Fuckboys didn't recycle that idea like according to DumbTheory...

EimGhey said:

Looks like they achieved the creepy atmosphere... Now can they make it memorable and trust me if it is another of those, "The Player was hallucinating the whole time!" it at least won't be memorable for one person. Underboob and Five Nights at Freddybob's are bad according to so-called hardcore gamers.. Yet they don't notice how a lot of horror games keep recycling the same ideas... That is if Five Nights at Fuckboys didn't recycle that idea like according to DumbTheory...

What are you talking about and why on this thread?

MrGlide said:

Kind of... this can apply to devil's hand...
but... I'm not sure about it... hehehehe

MrGlide said:

I am saying that horror games happen to following a trend of saying the player at the end was imagining all of it... I thought that was clear?

EimGhey said:

I am saying that horror games happen to following a trend of saying the player at the end was imagining all of it... I thought that was clear?

Ya, I understood that, Whats not clear is how this pertains to this project. It's not really a horror game and there is no narrative, So I don't understand where this comes into play here.

MrGlide said:

Ya, I understood that, Whats not clear is how this pertains to this project. It's not really a horror game and there is no narrative, So I don't understand where this comes into play here.

It is a primitive horror game as far as I can tell... Maybe action horror... But it is horror... As far as I can tell...?

EimGhey said:

It is a primitive horror game as far as I can tell... Maybe action horror... But it is horror... As far as I can tell...?

I don't know...
I didn't design or consider devil's hand as a horror game

Maybe it has some elements of the genre, I tried to to create an oppressive environment, but I don't think it is enough to create or consider a game as horror

As I said, my first and main inpiration are games like doom, hexen and quake, both fast paced shooter/action games
and even now I'm gathering inspiration on fast paced games of diverse genres, as Bind of Isaac and Nuclear Throne

I suggest you to play this version of the game and judge by yourself, this can be very helpful

Hey people, it’s some time since my last update but here I am

Question:
Someone is willing to subscribe a newsletter to receive updates form the game?

Here is some progress, working o the first level design, some visual effects, new enemies, well… progress on overall
By the way, the level does not end, is really just a play test ground

I’m really searching for ANY feedback here

How the shot feels?
Did you understand the types of door?
Too hard? Too easy? why?

DOWNLOAD LINK (Windows)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgaznlaumrek24n/DH_PROT_2.zip?dl=0

Thanks for all the help! :D

I'll test it out and tell you what I think, ya you can make a newsletter, or just post in this thread, I'm on here everyday and still subscribed to this thread.

ya I couldnt fiond it either, had to track you down, fr you then I could find it. voted.

I played the demo and upvoted the game on Greenlight.

I see that the game is a WIP and that better content is already planned for the future, but I'll post some of my thoughts anyway...

A more interesting variety of enemies would definitely benefit the gameplay. Some current sound effects are grating and unpleasant, such as the sound when activating the teleporter thingies, and the loud fart that the explosive weapon makes.

Menus lack detail. I assume the ingame pause menu is just a placeholder, since the big white square is kind of ugly to look at.

The game controls well. Movement is nice and fast, and shooting things is fun. The game runs over 60 FPS for the most part, but there are still some parts that have noticeable lag.

The style of the music is pretty generic and simple. It's not that bad, but it doesn't really fit the fast-paced nature of the game. Some energetic retro-sounding electronic or MIDIish stuff would fit, in my opinion. Do you have a music composer?

This is a personal preference, but I don't really like the HUD being on the hands. I think an option to choose the HUD layout/position would be nice.

Overall, Exodemon looks to have a lot of potential.

sudo459 said:

Link doesn't work for the post mortem, says game does not exist.

sorry! the right link is this:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/exodemon/news/devils-hand-post-mortem

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I played the demo and upvoted the game on Greenlight.

I see that the game is a WIP and that better content is already planned for the future, but I'll post some of my thoughts anyway...

A more interesting variety of enemies would definitely benefit the gameplay. Some current sound effects are grating and unpleasant, such as the sound when activating the teleporter thingies, and the loud fart that the explosive weapon makes.

Menus lack detail. I assume the ingame pause menu is just a placeholder, since the big white square is kind of ugly to look at.

The game controls well. Movement is nice and fast, and shooting things is fun. The game runs over 60 FPS for the most part, but there are still some parts that have noticeable lag.

The style of the music is pretty generic and simple. It's not that bad, but it doesn't really fit the fast-paced nature of the game. Some energetic retro-sounding electronic or MIDIish stuff would fit, in my opinion. Do you have a music composer?

This is a personal preference, but I don't really like the HUD being on the hands. I think an option to choose the HUD layout/position would be nice.

Overall, Exodemon looks to have a lot of potential.

loud fart heheheheheheh
yep, I'm already talking with a sound designer to work in the game ;)

new enemies will come on future updates

indeed, all the interface is placeholder :)

yep... I'm really concerned with the performance, mainly in the elevator level
I'll spend some time working on it

nice suggestion with the HUD
people usually like the hand HUD, but I'll consider to make this optional
makes completely sense!

Thanks you very much for taking the time to send me a feedback, it's very valuable!

MrGlide said:

ya I couldnt fiond it either, had to track you down, fr you then I could find it. voted.

sorry about it
The game changed the name to be less "like" Devil Daggers