Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Romero releases another new map: E1M4B

From looking at his map screenshot...

Still using sound tubes are we, Romero? Tsk tsk, silly silly fool.

Rushed home from work on my lunch break to play... great level.

A lot easier than the first map he posted. Got lost in the dark computer room (labeled 3 I think it was) for a good few minutes.

took ten minutes to find all teh secrets on ITYTD lol
i like it, the gaps in the nukage are brave because there's no good way of expressing it in Doom 1 textures apart from just doing it and expecting everyone who sees it to indulge the decision and I like that sort of decision

Fun stuff John (since I figure you're probably peeking at this thread)—always nice to see what sordid Doom designs you have kickin' around inside your head. The numbered floor thing was an interesting way to bypass the age-old problem of "what does this switch do?", though since they're not identified on the map itself it still doesn't help too much (couldn't find door #3—isn't this what you guys made keycards for?). Favorite part about the map is how you continued to unfold it as the player progressed, constantly revealing enemies to assault them from rooms they once cleared. It can get real nasty at times with the shotgun zombies littered everywhere, but the map mellows out towards the end. Still love the little attempts at crafting your own SFALL and how the exit switch resides in recessed starting door—clever stuff. You still got it.

So, when should we expect the unofficial E5? ;)

It's a very good level. It keeps you on your toes all the time - once the fight starts it basically never stops till the end. Fun stuff from John!

Just going to leave a few screenshots so that people won't be curious about what it looks like:

About the map: It's pretty damn good. Wondering what Romero would do when he revisits Doom 2.

Is John the first person to come up with these numbers on the floor written using a different brightness level? It's such a neat idea.

The map was a bit too linear and overcrowded for my taste though. The original was like an adventure, while this is closer to a crawl. Or maybe you're not supposed to compare them like this... Good work anyway.

Such a great level, really enjoyed this. Altohugh I doubt it, it would be great if he finished the rest of the episode, it could even be an old shareware release.

Also, can't think of a better way to promote anything really than releasing an old school Doom map.

I strongly prefer the new E1M8 he did over this one, however I dislike E1M4 to begin with, so I will definitely replace it with this new version whenever I do Episode 1 playthroughs (re: about every 6 months).
Some cool parts to it, didn't find a single secret, the level opening up is again a great feature, there didn't seem to be a Swastika or Swastika-like sculpture which is a negative ;)
I hope he does a Doom 2 level next; these are great, but the limited monster and weapon set will grow slightly tiring.

kuchitsu said:

Is John the first person to come up with these numbers on the floor written using a different brightness level? It's such a neat idea.

Can't remember seeing it elsewhere, at least not in the same style.

I wonder how many more Romero maps there will be in the future. It would be awesome if he completely re-did episode 1.

Hell ya, Great work John! Your clearly are still a talented game designer, fuck all the naysayers and congrats on getting more then 1/7th of your goal (edit)in under 48 hours. Can't wait to see what'll happen next.

wheresthebeef said:

I strongly prefer the new E1M8 he did over this one, however I dislike E1M4 to begin with, so I will definitely replace it with this new version whenever I do Episode 1 playthroughs (re: about every 6 months).
Some cool parts to it, didn't find a single secret, the level opening up is again a great feature, there didn't seem to be a Swastika or Swastika-like sculpture which is a negative ;)
I hope he does a Doom 2 level next; these are great, but the limited monster and weapon set will grow slightly tiring.

I suppose one of us could add a swastika in via the Doom Builder map editor and upload it here and then say that it's a slightly modified version of his map.... original original style. ;)

DoomzRules said:

I suppose one of us could add a swastika in via the Doom Builder map editor and upload it here and then say that it's a slightly modified version of his map.... original original style. ;)

in text: No

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse. Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with
no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file
intact.

a very fun level, a blast to play. all the sector machinery (referring to just moving sectors and stuff) is cute, especially the southwest computer maze. the nukage fissures are a nice turn from what i would normally see there, that being a flat plain of nukage.

Another Romero map? This I gotta try! Once it gets uploaded in the idgames archive, of course. Would like to see Tom Hall making some Doom maps as well.

kuchitsu said:

There are light arrows in MAP05: Waste Tunnels if that counts.