Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Frisky

Making secrets?

Okay, so you might think this is a stupid question, but I am a young short-term memory fuckboy retard and that is my excuse.
Anyways, I want to know how to make secrets because I have completely forgotten. I'm using the ZDoom UDMF format and I keep trying to use the sector effect "Secret", but it won't work.

In Hexen and UDMF format, the secret sector effect is effect number 1024, not number 9, even though the editor still displays effect number 9 as available.

scifista42 said:

In Hexen and UDMF format, the secret sector effect is effect number 1024, not number 9, even though the editor still displays effect number 9 as available.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to work.
Also, it's normal for it to say "Unknown", right?

In Doom Builder 2, it will indeed say "Unknown". Stepping onto the sector's floor should activate the secret, though.

scifista42 said:

In Doom Builder 2, it will indeed say "Unknown". Stepping onto the sector's floor should activate the secret, though.

Well, it definitely says that there's a secret in the map, but the secret doesn't activate.

To be precise, the player feet's center point must touch the sector's floor to activate the secret. If the sector is thin and the player runs over it, it might be skipped and not activated. If the sector is in a thin gap or on a thin step, so that the player feet's center point never touches it (due to being a few map units above it), it won't be activated either.

scifista42 said:

To be precise, the player feet's center point must touch the sector's floor to activate the secret. If the sector is thin and the player runs over it, it might be skipped and not activated. If the sector is in a thin gap or on a thin step, so that the player feet's center point never touches it (due to being a few map units above it), it won't be activated either.

Ah, gotcha.
It works now. Thanks for you help. :D