Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MistAche

Cult film thread

Not sure if this has been posted or not... doing this in the hopes of discovering must-watch films I may have missed over the years.

Post cult films or directors of an underground nature, ones which had an effect on you and need to be seen.

I'll start with a few...

Gaspar Noé:
Enter the Void
I Stand Alone
Irreversible

Nicholas Refn:
Valhalla Rising
Only God Forgives
Drive
Bronson
Pusher trilogy

Have you heard of Jan Svankmajer? He does these great surrealist movies and uses a lot of stop motion animation in his films. I highly recommend his short movies too.

I bought a 30 pack of exploitation films from grindhouse. However the only one that was any good was a 70s Italian exploitation film about about an all female-prisnor nazi concentration camp. It's called "Women's camp 119". It's sort of like "Ilsa She-wolf of the SS".

TheMightyHeracross said:

Does Darkman count? Sam Raimi isn't exactly underground, but I barely know anyone who's heard of this.

EDIT: Also, Darren Aronofsky's Pi.

Absolutely... anything goes mate, any film which has hit home. And thanks, haven't seen Darkman! looks classic.

raymoohawk said:

i really like the work of jodorowsky, specially holy mountain

Great film... I found Jodorowsky through Nicholas Refn's 'Only God Forgives', which it's inspired by.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Have you heard of Jan Svankmajer? He does these great surrealist movies and uses a lot of stop motion animation in his films. I highly recommend his short movies too.

Haven't heard of him no, sounds very interesting though. Will check it out tonight.

Hah, I watched Tetsuo when I was 15 years old, it was quite an experience. I also liked Bullet Ballet and Vital (just wow at that actress with long hair) by the same director.

Jan Svankmajer is a cool guy. I loved "Neco z Alenky" (that Alice movie) and "Otesanek" was also very clever. "Sileni" was maybe too complicated for my taste, but it was still kinda interesting to watch I guess.

For some reason I couldn't get into Darren Aronofsky's Pi. I watched it fully but it didn't make much of an impression on me.

Hmm, cult films eh?

Well, one of my all time favorite movies is Big Trouble in Little China. I also recently watched Fire & Ice and Heavy Metal 2000 again after not seeing it for YEARS. Do those count?

CARRiON said:

...Do those count?

Frazetta art on a film poster... think I'll get this.

Anything counts. Any film which struck a chord in you.

MistAche said:

Frazetta art on a film poster... think I'll get this.

It was the 80's man, when movie posters where still awesome!

Here is Big Trouble's since I forgot:

Look at that fucking thing. It's beautiful. A work of art.

Anyways if anybody hasn't seen this movie and they like Carpenter, action and b-movie cheese this is your bag. Oh and monkey demons. And six demon bags.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Does Darkman count? Sam Raimi isn't exactly underground, but I barely know anyone who's heard of this.

EDIT: Also, Darren Aronofsky's Pi.

I rather enjoyed Darkman, and liked seeing Raimi's take on a super hero film: something he did arguably better/or at least on par with his Spider-Man films.

Pedro VC said:

Love that film and the second one's not too bad either, although it's much better in portuguese with english subtitles than the english overdubbing... so visceral!

Rumble Fish plays in the back of my mind from time to time:

And how did I almost forget the greatest Aussie film of all time:

Gotta love Conan. Also props to the Adventures of Ford Fairlane!

Any fans of Manborg, and Astron 6 in general? And of course Troma, The Toxic Avenger etc.

Also a shoutout to a couple of my favorite 80s cult films, Repo Man and Blue Velvet.

Also Fantastic Planet from 1973. What a mind fuck. An absolute classic though! Watch while high. It is so very very weird.

Here's the trailer. Doubles as an unintentional comedy. The timing is just so random. Some of the weirdest stuff ever. It is a great movie though!

@rush

oh man i adore that film! i first saw it as little kid on canal once, the only somewhat cultured chanel mexican broadcast tv had at the time. i remember the parents being disturbed and not wanting my sis and i to see it XD

Da Eediot said:

Is anyone here a fan of the Evil Dead movies?

Evil Dead 1: blah
Evil Dead 2: awesome
Army of Darkness: one of the greatest movies ever