Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MistAche

Cult film thread

Da Eediot said:

Is anyone here a fan of the Evil Dead movies?

Me! There are many other Evil Dead fans here as well. Those are cult classics for sure. Evil Dead II is my favorite.

Da Eediot said:

I am, i've seen the first movie 2 times and seen Army of Darkness a few times as well, the only movies i haven't seen yet are ED2 and the 2013 reboot.

raymoohawk said:

@rush

oh man i adore that film! i first saw it as little kid on canal once, the only somewhat cultured chanel mexican broadcast tv had at the time. i remember the parents being disturbed and not wanting my sis and i to see it XD

Nice, I first saw it as a kid as well. I love the style of those older cartoons. Well... some just plain suck, but quality animation from the 70's and 80's has a certain feel you just don't get anymore. It is magical. That toasty warm analogue sound with those wobbly lines. Cartoons done digitally are cleaner and more technically perfect but they don't feel quite the same. Not saying they are bad just... different.

In the case of Fantastic Planet that old sound and style really gives the movie a one of a kind feel.

Conan the barbarian... hobo with a shotgun Hahaha, some classics here.

Has anyone seen Suspiria? old Daria Nicolodi horror flick. Super creepy score, weird and unique sets/lighting.

MistAche said:

Has anyone seen Suspiria?

I've seen the whole "mothers" trilogy: Suspiria, Inferno and Mother of Tears. Argento's other movies are good aswell, my favorites are probably Phenomena and Deep red.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I've seen the whole "mothers" trilogy: Suspiria, Inferno and Mother of Tears. Argento's other movies are good aswell, my favorites are probably Phenomena and Deep red.

Yes! sorry I quoted the actor, not director Argento. I've seen Inferno and Mother of tears, but not the other two you mentioned. Difficult to find them.

If you're into violent, bleak films. Check out 'The Rover (2014)' Australian post-apocalyptic, dystopian film. A sort of mix between McCarthy's 'The Road' and Mad Max.

Not on par with the twisted psychological brilliance of films like "Taxi Driver" but it is still pretty good. For fans of slow moving psychological thrillers. Don't watch the trailer. Like most trailers it gives way too much away. Glad I went into the movie without any prior knowledge. I try to do that for every movie, if possible.

Pink Floyd The Wall has to be one of my all time favorite movies In general.

The music, the symbolism, and the animation Is all too great.
Pretty damn depressing movie too.

Da Eediot said:

Almost everyone here. Boondock Saints, The Crow, Hell Raiser, 5th element. The Animated Hobbit from the 70's, Vampire Hunter D, 7 samurai. crap there is a movie I can't think of the name of and can't find them online for some reason. 1 has the actor that looks alot like al gore and is of search for an android with a bomb in it,12 monkys.

Cyborg was pretty bad, tbh. Also, it should have been the movie to really bear the name Scream, since that was 80% of it. Screaming and yelling.

And muscles.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Johnny got his gun

I never had the balls to watch this one. When I discovered it through metallica and watched some scenes in youtube I was completely freaked out about the plot and even avoided hearing One by some time.

Japan's answer to "Eraserhead." Released in the late 80s, "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" is a black-and-white body horror film shot on video. It also contains elements of cyberpunk and makes creative use of stop-motion.

Another black-and-white nightmare. "Man Bites Dog" is a mockumentary about a serial killer whose exploits are documented by amoral filmmakers. Disturbing, funny and unforgettable.

One of my favorite films. Directorial debut by "Kids" screenwriter Harmony Korine. A mixture of extreme metal, white trash, dead cats, substance abuse and desperate, repulsive men, women and children who float aimlessly in a town ravaged by a tornado.

deadwolves said:

Primer

I tried to watch this recently and found that it just didn't have enough going on. Buncha young guys in suits mumbling. I know there's a deep time travel plot point, but I couldn't get past that initial bla-bla-bla-ness of it. I like dialogue heavy stuff IF the actors capture my attention.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I wouldn't recommend it if you consider yourself a cat lover.

I love cats and it didn't bug me at all. It's a movie!

Well, if we're talking cult films... you should check out Zardoz. Sean Connery in a loincloth, giant talking stone heads, and the... strangest opening three and a half minutes ever.