Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graphic_Delusions

Amazing DOOM EASTER EGG revealed **Spoilers**

IGN has just posted a video showing a great easter egg

There are hidden leavers in each mission which will open up a secret passage to play a small piece of a classic DOOM level with classic pickups and classic music.

Once you get them all, you can play the entire level (taken from DOOM 1 & DOOM 2) from the main level select screen!

This video shows E1M2.

Watch it here -
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2016/04/28/huge-doom-easter-egg-revealed

Wow! They said that when you find these you can actually play the entire recreated map from the main menu! And that there will be lots of them.

hardcore_gamer said:

Wow! They said that when you find these you can actually play the entire recreated map from the main menu! And that there will be lots of them.

Complete E1 (without secret map), couple of E2, two or three E3. (and as it looks like: two of Doom 2)

There was a rumour which is still to be confirmed that you can use them in SnapMap once you unlocked them. Kinda doubt it though...

It's very nice to see this.

I'm not really a big fan of the "just take the exact same assets from the original game and slapping them into the new engine" tactic. I'd rather see a ground up remake of the level. It's a neat gimmick I guess but pasting the first level of Wolfenstein 3D in the Wolfenstein games honestly got old really quickly.

MetroidJunkie said:

Not to mention the moody lighting that actually benefited this section greatly in the original was completely removed.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be possible in the new engine, as is hat no zone lightning, if you know what I mean.

You could easily replicate it with dynamic lights, something that's been a thing for years (including this one), or even just by having more than one copy of the texture that has them dimly lit. Really, in this day and age, having two or three copies of a Doom texture is a drop in the ocean considering how large the 2016 game is in terms of file size.

Jaxxoon R said:

Why is startan fuckin upside-down half the time?

I think it's an actual unintentional bug that the creators either didn't notice (due to not knowing the original Doom well enough) or didn't bother fixing (due to the engine being hard to use).

^ The same texture appears correctly on certain walls and upside down on other walls, so that flipping the graphic wouldn't really help, as it would fix some of the walls and break all the other ones.

Fair point, then just flip those specific polygons? If they're attached then separate them, flip them, and reattach them. Maybe I'm making some unfair assumptions since, in Blender, it really is that easy but, if they can't match Blender, a freebie 3D program, then something's wrong.

tuo said:

Complete E1 (without secret map), couple of E2, two or three E3. (and as it looks like: two of Doom 2)

There was a rumour which is still to be confirmed that you can use them in SnapMap once you unlocked them. Kinda doubt it though...

It's very nice to see this.

It doesn't sound too far-fetched considering you can use the original keycard sprites.

What's weird is that there seems to be a form of diminished lighting in these sections, so it makes it look really strange when what was dim in the distance slowly becomes fullbright.

Someone should merge all these stupid spoiler threads into one and put the pictures under the spoiler tab.

I will probably avoid these for my first play through since it will break my immersion.

I hope we get a full on classic campaign using the new engine. I played classic doom enough for a few lifetimes.

Pretty concerned that this nugget has been held back until the PR team were in crisis mode, and what that implies.

victorboris1 said:

You guys are literally complaining about a texture being flipped upside down, that's some turbo-charged autism there.

Get a thesaurus or something, this is so silly. I'm talking about the cliche autism part, turbo-charged is actually creative. =P