Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graphic_Delusions

Amazing DOOM EASTER EGG revealed **Spoilers**

Jannak said:

I guess it shows people like you often ignore details and also Red Flag for ablest shit here.

The triggering begins...

Take note this is just the easter egg section, the full levels you unlock should hopefully be better in quality. If they come out and they are also lazy then we can complain.

Silverforte said:

Take note this is just the easter egg section, the full levels you unlock should hopefully be better in quality. If they come out and they are also lazy then we can complain.

I have to wonder if the secrets are even fully complete. I mean it is easy to see that some textures are off (not counting the scaling), and the light source which looks sort of like a higher res version of the original one doesn't seem like it does anything (which I sort of assume it would unless they just straight up just pasted the texture and didn't add in light source in there to try and get the lighting effect of the original level).

Linguica said:

The game is coming out in 2 weeks. Everything is complete.

So likely last minute insertion of the easter egg then. I sort of hope the classic doom level easter eggs weren't done at some earlier time.

I just pulled a better replica out of my ass. GZDoom Builder, exported as obj, a few point lights, bam. Only took a few minutes, I was trying to imitate the angle of the light. Add some pulsing point lights and you're set. It's a 3D model and would presumably fit in just fine with the Doom 2016 engine.

MetroidJunkie said:

I just pulled a better replica out of my ass. GZDoom Builder, exported as obj, a few point lights, bam. Only took a few minutes, I was trying to imitate the angle of the light. Add some pulsing point lights and you're set. It's a 3D model and would presumably fit in just fine with the Doom 2016 engine.

http://i.imgur.com/2bAahhr.png

I'm kind of sick of fans being able to push out better content in an hour or so than a developer can within 3 years.
Like seriously, what the fuck is going on in these companies now.

The Civ said:

I'm kind of sick of fans being able to push out better content in an hour or so than a developer can within 3 years.
Like seriously, what the fuck is going on in these companies now.

It's crunch time, baby!! Nothing gets done and everyone panics.

Wow, this looks as shitty as Rage's. The scale's way off and the shadows are nonexistent. The texturing is abysmal too.

Come on id, put some fucking effort into it.

Did anyone tweet asking why they forgot to add the lighting in the easter egg? I wonder if all of them will be like this one then. No lighting to add some mood, and flipped textures that are correct elsewhere (not counting how scaled they are).

I tweeted Bethesda, showing them my version and saying this is how it's done and that the texture and lighting looks a bit lazy. Let's see if they respond.

Silverforte said:

Exactly. People can't think critically.

Piper Maru said:

Marty Stratton is probably going to have a nervous breakdown when he finds out about this. He looked exhausted in those streams.

I would be more than happy to rip out Doom's levels into obj format and add lights as necessary if he needs someone, this honestly isn't freaking hard. =P

Piper Maru said:

Marty Stratton is probably going to have a nervous breakdown when he finds out about this. He looked exhausted in those streams.

You're not joking. My buddies and I have noticed how tired & worn he looks in the past few live streams (even last summer).

Looks like he hasn't slept in ages. The thousand yard stare; almost like he's given up & defeated.

I've mostly been pretty gung-ho about everything Doom '16 has to offer, but earlier today I was a bit perturbed by the frankly unfinished sound design, which has been attributed to the nature of live streaming, but I don't know. Now I see that, for the umpteenth time, we get an Easter egg in the form of crappy remakes of levels we've played a million times and aren't impressed by anymore. This makes me just a touch worried. Then again, what should I expect for Easter eggs?

I like more subtle stuff, this looks bad, just like it did in Rage and SW 2013.

To be fair, I think part of the 'Easter Egg joke' is that they are lower quality levels; it's like they AVOIDED using lighting at all for some reason; considering how freakin' COOL the actual DooM 2016 is, models, designs, official levels... I'd haveta say their easter eggs are a kind of in-joke....

Tormentor's Zdcmp2 WAD had little dolls you'd find and pick up, and now so does DooM 2016. DooM 2016 also borrowed glory kills from Brutal DooM, which took them from God of War, which was inspired by Mortal Kombat... so they know their stuff, but the amount of slack in the DooM 1 levels would otherwise be... HUH? ;)

GoatLord said:

I've mostly been pretty gung-ho about everything Doom '16 has to offer, but earlier today I was a bit perturbed by the frankly unfinished sound design, which has been attributed to the nature of live streaming, but I don't know. Now I see that, for the umpteenth time, we get an Easter egg in the form of crappy remakes of levels we've played a million times and aren't impressed by anymore. This makes me just a touch worried. Then again, what should I expect for Easter eggs?

I would have been happy with just the Dopefish.

Technician said:

I would have been happy with just the Dopefish.

Unlocking the option to play through the game as classic doomguy in all his pixel glory as some type of alternate way to play it.

LittleBurger said:

Unlocking the option to play through the game as classic doomguy in all his pixel glory as some type of alternate way to play it.

Adding the original Doom mug may have been a cute hidden command. RtCW did that. Provided they even give us the option to open the console.

Xerge said:

I like more subtle stuff, this looks bad, just like it did in Rage and SW 2013.

I totally agree with you that easter eggs should be subtle. They should be like they were back in 80s and 90s - very hidden references, developer gags and jokes, developers' names, dopefish, etc, they shouldn't be very complex or very big, and they should be very well hidden! It should take players ages to find them (I heard there were easter eggs that took decades to find), and they shouldn't be spoiled like that! Seriously why did they make a video showing this easter egg? That's stupid. Spoiling like that is not fun.

ChekaAgent said:

I totally agree with you that easter eggs should be subtle. They should be like they were back in 80s and 90s - very hidden references, developer gags and jokes, developers' names, dopefish, etc, they shouldn't be very complex or very big, and they should be very well hidden! It should take players ages to find them (I heard there were easter eggs that took decades to find), and they shouldn't be spoiled like that! Seriously why did they make a video showing this easter egg? That's stupid. Spoiling like that is not fun.

I'd blame the ease at which info can travel over the Internet for that. Though, could there likely be more subtle Easter eggs?

ChekaAgent said:

and they shouldn't be spoiled like that! Seriously why did they make a video showing this easter egg? That's stupid. Spoiling like that is not fun.

The reason they probably showed this secret is because this isn't only one secret, like in Wolfenstein and Rage. There's over a dozen classic Doom levels in the game, so it's almost like a feature rather than a secret.

I would've added the classic demons at least, that would've made it more appealing to me, the modern 3D models look so out of place.

You know, couldn't they atleast remake the computer maze completely, with new graphics? The mix of new graphics and old Doom graphics looks really weird.

ChekaAgent said:

You know, couldn't they atleast remake the computer maze completely, with new graphics? The mix of new graphics and old Doom graphics looks really weird.

That could work some, the new models of the enemies would fit in better.

ChekaAgent said:

Remember the easter eggs in Doom 3? You could see Doom Guy in one of the magazines and in one of the pentagrams. And, of course, SUPER TURBO TURKEY PUNCHER THREE! They were pretty cool nods to Classic Doom without copying and pasting levels.