Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archvile Hunter

Doom Hard Difficulty gameplay

Does that seem sped up to you guys? I don't know if it's just the player's play style and upgrades or what. But even things like doors look faster. Placebo?

hardcore_gamer said:

Game still looks too easy honestly.

Tough to tell from stuff like this. In the normal difficulty streams there are lots of times where the guy gets to very low health and almost dies. But in this hard mode gameplay, the guy almost never gets hurt. These are devs trying to show off the game and not die, well rehearsed.

I'm guessing the difficulty will be fine.

So the Doomguy goes into a big arena room and gets locked in while a bunch of waves of enemies spawn in. Once it's over the exit unlocks and the Doomguy goes through a bunch of linear corridors until he enters another big arena room, where he gets locked in again, etc...

Linguica said:

So the Doomguy goes into a big arena room and gets locked in while a bunch of waves of enemies spawn in. Once it's over the exit unlocks and the Doomguy goes through a bunch of linear corridors until he enters another big arena room, where he gets locked in again, etc...

But the game is not linear! Here is proof! Watch around 5 minutes from 17:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsWaTIlNGlw

hardcore_gamer said:

Game still looks too easy honestly.

Looks way too easy. Looks badass, but easy.

Linguica said:

That seems to be boiling it down a bit much. Plus a lot of these rooms you're in are really interesting with multiple paths to explore, secrets and stuff.

For some reason most FPS fans are very positive on the new Shadow Warrior games, while those are much more like what you're describing.

Classic doom had the same linear monster arena shit too. For some reason nobody really talks about that or notices.

I don't mind the Painkiller-style stuff as long as there's exploration and mild puzzle solving. That's all I ask, layout wise. This doesn't look very hardcore for "hard." I suspect I'll be playing on it without too much trouble.

GoatLord said:

I don't mind the Painkiller-style stuff as long as there's exploration and mild puzzle solving. That's all I ask, layout wise. This doesn't look very hardcore for "hard." I suspect I'll be playing on it without too much trouble.

But there is exploration! Just look at the video I posted. How is that Yellow Keycard secret NOT classic level design?!

Zemini said:

Classic doom had the same linear monster arena shit too. For some reason nobody really talks about that or notices.

No it doesn't. You never got locked in rooms clearing out hordes of guys before you can proceed. You might walk into an area, or (arena if you wanna call it that) and have a door open to 10 enemies; but you could assess the situation and go "Nope! I need health and ammo!" and run away. Or back off and try to chainsaw pinkys, conserve ammo, make sure your two rockets count to take out humans, and maybe end it off with shotgun to take out a barron or Revenant. Within the new Doom; item drops give you all you'll need for the 5 minute fight ahead of you.

Champskiez103 said:

No it doesn't. You never got locked in rooms clearing out hordes of guys before you can proceed. You might walk into an area, or (arena if you wanna call it that) and have a door open to 10 enemies; but you could assess the situation and go "Nope! I need health and ammo!" and run away. Or back off and try to chainsaw pinkys, conserve ammo, make sure your two rockets count to take out humans, and maybe end it off with shotgun to take out a barron or Revenant. Within the new Doom; item drops give you all you'll need for the 5 minute fight ahead of you.

There's both it would seem, and we have only seen snippets of the large campaign. And while I agree not every encounter in every FPS should be like this, it's like this in plenty of FPS games people love (new Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, etc).

Also, while I love options, what you're describing would make the game easier. And people are already saying the game is too easy. Either way, at least the arena areas are interesting with lots of places to jump around. Beats the big flat empty arenas of this game's contemporaries.

Champskiez103 said:

E1m6 - when you get the yellow key the door shuts from behind you. I don't remember how you get the door too open but there you go...A shut in arena. In fact there is a second one at the very end of that very same level.

Zemini said:

E1m6 - when you get the yellow key the door shuts from behind you. I don't remember how you get the door too open but there you go...A shut in arena. In fact there is a second one at the very end of that very same level.

Those weren't exactly meant to be arenas though; they were mostly traps. Hoping you'd go in there; not notice a bunch of pinkys coming at you and killing you. It happened a lot in Doom. I was playing Doom 2 last night, and level 28 has a few rooms with a health powerup in the middle of the room; and as soon as you get it doors open up with guys. Again; hoping you'll go in there unprepared; with your guard down and get killed.I love those! If that's all doom was; it would lose it's appeal pretty quick.

Champskiez103 said:

Those weren't exactly meant to be arenas though; they were mostly traps. Hoping you'd go in there; not notice a bunch of pinkys coming at you and killing you. It happened a lot in Doom. I was playing Doom 2 last night, and level 28 has a few rooms with a health powerup in the middle of the room; and as soon as you get it doors open up with guys. Again; hoping you'll go in there unprepared; with your guard down and get killed.I love those! If that's all doom was; it would lose it's appeal pretty quick.

But it was kinda the same idea. It was just limited by what the engine could do at the time.

And when you really get down too it; Classic Doom was linear as well. Some levels were a puzzle box but there wasn't a ton of exploration. Only non linear FPS I can think of are games like Fallout 3 and maybe even Rage.

Look guys, you may think this looks too easy, but you have to consider that even the original dooms on UV were pretty simple. I think years of playing super hard custom wads has just made the average doom player better. Look forward to custom super difficult snapmap stuff.

Silverforte said:

Look guys, you may think this looks too easy, but you have to consider that even the original dooms on UV were pretty simple. I think years of playing super hard custom wads has just made the average doom player better. Look forward to custom super difficult snapmap stuff.

I call it pwad syndrome where people project what they played on pwads on to the originals such as difficulty, and number of monsters in a fight.

The original doom and doom 2 aren't really that difficult even on UV.