Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archvile Hunter

Doom Hard Difficulty gameplay

Voros said:

You could still escape from the arena rather than fight em all, anytime you wish. But going into an arena then suddenly realizing you cant escape forces you to try to kill them all, thus the magic door openeth once thy killing is doneth.

I don't mind this mechanic when it's used sparingly. This was literally how the entirety of Painkiller worked and I really don't think that's what we should expect from Doom '16. It's clearly going to give us plenty of moments of exploration and non-linear stuff.

GoatLord said:

I don't mind this mechanic when it's used sparingly. This was literally how the entirety of Painkiller worked and I really don't think that's what we should expect from Doom '16. It's clearly going to give us plenty of moments of exploration and non-linear stuff.

Yea, I don't get it why people are saying the whole game is just arenas when the gameplay footage shows plenty of non-arena combat.

Voros said:

You could still escape from the arena rather than fight em all, anytime you wish. But going into an arena then suddenly realizing you cant escape forces you to try to kill them all, thus the magic door openeth once thy killing is doneth.

Yes you could escape but it wasn't always the best strategy and I understand that the difference can be claustrophobic. Besides it was probably limited by the engine. Too my knowledge you can't have a door open when you kill all the monsters within a room in Vanilla.

Zemini said:

Too my knowledge you can't have a door open when you kill all the monsters within a room in Vanilla.

E1M8 / Map07 / E4M6 say otherwise.

I forgot about those special mapinfo labels. But They are still very limiting since I believe it has to mean "All monsters of a specific type in the level" and you can only use it once.

I am talking about

-Kill THESE 8 imps and open this door
-Kill these 3 imps and open that door
-Kill these 3 pinkies, 2 imps and ect.

All within the same level.

Zemini said:

I am talking about

-Kill THESE 8 imps and open this door
-Kill these 3 imps and open that door
-Kill these 3 pinkies, 2 imps and ect.

All within the same level.

Makes it look more like a "Beat 'em up" game .

don't know where to post this and don't want to start a new thread just for it, so here you go: some more footage from IGN, showcasing some more combat in the Lazarus Facility.

god, the game looks so fucking ace.

Yeah that's is the truth that the orginal Iwads where not that difficult even on uv. Yeah bring on snap map stuff

zinkai said:

Yeah that's is the truth that the orginal Iwads where not that difficult even on uv. Yeah bring on snap map stuff

I believe it's that people make the mistake of projecting the difficulty in the early pwads like hell revealed onto the original dooms
The only really difficult orginal doom is thy flesh consumed

plutonia of final doom but final doom wasn't created by id

hardcore_gamer said:

Yea, I don't get it why people are saying the whole game is just arenas when the gameplay footage shows plenty of non-arena combat.

People are running out of reasonable things to complain about, so they're grasping at straws.

Doom64guy6 said:

I believe it's that people make the mistake of projecting the difficulty in the early pwads like hell revealed onto the original dooms
The only really difficult orginal doom is thy flesh consumed

plutonia of final doom but final doom wasn't created by id

The problem with those videos is that there's too much ammo for extreme, powerfull weapons....may be that was set for demo...but I think it is the same problem as with Rage and Doom3BFG where actuall battles are challeging but due to overload with ammo it automaticly becomes very easy and I can already predict people will be complaining again - game is way tooo easy!

id.dav said:

The problem with those videos is that there's too much ammo for extreme, powerfull weapons....may be that was set for demo...but I think it is the same problem as with Rage and Doom3BFG where actuall battles are challeging but due to overload with ammo it automaticly becomes very easy and I can already predict people will be complaining again - game is way tooo easy!

Is the ammo drops from enemies dependent on difficulty or just a set thing? If it is just a set thing then I would think it lower depending on difficulty or maybe some option would have been better.

LittleBurger said:

Is the ammo drops from enemies dependent on difficulty or just a set thing? If it is just a set thing then I would think it lower depending on difficulty or maybe some option would have been better.

During the first stream, Hugo Martin was constantly running low on ammo for his shotgun and on later levels was frequently switching between weapons to save ammo, and even resorted to use the chainsaw on an Imp to get that ammo pinata.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Very Limited ammo capacity + No ammo drops from enemies = Ruined

The ammo stash can be probably be upgraded, but I haven't seen enemies dropping ammo, only health and armor shards.

victorboris1 said:

The ammo stash can be probably be upgraded .

I Miss the backpacks already ;_;

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Miss the backpacks already ;_;

Or some equivalent of them in this game. But I guess the whole lower ammo thing sort of goes with system they have setup with the drops. Seems like something you would have to play some personally to get a better idea of how it feels (I guess some could be gotten from streams though).

I despise arenas, 3D beat-em-ups, Dynasty Warrior/Bayoneta-esque enemy hordes, and any form of combat gating. As picky as I am, I can tell you the way Doom 4 handles it's arena segments actually looks really cool to me, and seems sort of like a small detour into a slice of Zandronum's invasion mode. Might have to do with the emphasis more on dancing about your foes rather than just mashing combos or hammering the shoot button.

Jaxxoon R said:

I despise arenas, 3D beat-em-ups, Dynasty Warrior/Bayoneta-esque enemy hordes, and any form of combat gating. As picky as I am, I can tell you the way Doom 4 handles it's arena segments actually looks really cool to me, and seems sort of like a small detour into a slice of Zandronum's invasion mode. Might have to do with the emphasis more on dancing about your foes rather than just mashing combos or hammering the shoot button.

What about Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2? actually other then those two I mostly dislike 3d beat-um ups as well.

Piper Maru said:

The arena portions are activated once you destroy the Gore Nest right? Otherwise it's a corridor shooter, or am I misinterpreting it?

Corridor shooter with somewhat-open rooms and areas typically, destroy a gore nest and the room locks down as demons teleport in to ruin your day, plenty of secrets to discover and find in nooks and crannies (some of which aren't marked at all). It seems certain areas like the outdoors Mars section also is a small arena battle in its own right. So it's not all arena shooter, but the game isn't going to pretend we're not here for the 'shooting demons' part.

What I like is that there's a lot of enemy variety in the battles instead of just hordes of like, two or three types, and it doesn't swamp you with them. People raise a stink about "oh doom had a lot more than this", but that was either map packs, the later parts of Doom 2, and/or playing on Ultra-Violence which significantly jacks up enemy count.

Jaxxoon R said:

Yeah, the arenas in this game aren't just big open circles where you simply shoot things. The spaces are designed for fun movement. The vertical platforming, the portals, the power-ups, the focus on melee & projectile enemies over hitscanners, etc.

Marty used the term "dance" in one of the streams, which I was happy to hear, since that means he really understood the appeal of classic Doom combat, which people always describe as a dance. You don't constantly stop and start like in most modern shooters. You learn the various enemy behaviors and move-sets and weave through them accordingly (with the right weapon).

My only fear is that the arena mechanic is going to get old and repetitive fast. It also will take away any of the surprise or suspense since it seems that each and every time you walk into an arena, the intercomm says "demonic presence at unsafe levels." Therefore, you always will know what's coming next.

doom_is_great said:

My only fear is that the arena mechanic is going to get old and repetitive fast. It also will take away any of the surprise or suspense since it seems that each and every time you walk into an arena, the intercomm says "demonic presence at unsafe levels." Therefore, you always will know what's coming next.

That seems to be a UAC thing, area-specific.

doom_is_great said:

Nah.... for me it will always be fun to blast a demon in the face with a super shotgun and change up my playstyle from time-to-time you know?

Each playthrough experimenting with new weaponry and glory kills...

That won't get old to me. =)

Then again I'm 16, so maybe for some of the older folks the arena segments will bore them to death.

Whereas with me, I view them as a blood-drenched gore-filled skate park of blasting demons with weaponry and my sweet Berserk Pack, and I get to use my fists to rip open demons with blood and guts everywhere....

I swear, it's just so awesome. I can't wait for the new Doom. I don't mind the arenas, because I view it like playing a Tony Hawk game but in first-person with guns and killing demons. =)

doom_is_great said:

The arenas are definitely the largest X-factor for this game. One one hand having dedicated arena spaces allows the developers to really provide the most badass, adrenaline pumping battles they can possibly make. But on the other hand it makes the game feel more predictable.

The two biggest questions are:

-How often will an arena occur? Are they spaced out enough so that players are yearning for an intense fight each time, instead of being annoyed?
-Will they be fun enough? If the arenas are a ton of fun, then obviously we'll be more excited to see them.

Luckily it seems the game is largely based on exploring at your own pace rather than arenas, and luckily the arenas do seem to be very well designed, with a lot of complexity of their own.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The arenas are definitely the largest X-factor for this game. One one hand having dedicated arena spaces allows the developers to really provide the most badass, adrenaline pumping battles they can possibly make. But on the other hand it makes the game feel more predictable.

The two biggest questions are:

-How often will an arena occur? Are they spaced out enough so that players are yearning for an intense fight each time, instead of being annoyed?
-Will they be fun enough? If the arenas are a ton of fun, then obviously we'll be more excited to see them.

Luckily it seems the game is largely based on exploring at your own pace rather than arenas, and luckily the arenas do seem to be very well designed, with a lot of complexity of their own.

At first I was against the Arenas but after watching the videos they make me want to badly play it. I think it'll be just like Classic Doom where you replay it but most of the time battles always play out differently, more differently than Classic. Looks like shit gets nuts with the Monsters hoping around, etc.

LittleBurger said:

Is the ammo drops from enemies dependent on difficulty or just a set thing?

Can someone tell if the colours from the glory kill highlight have a meaning? Will the drop or animation differ if the demon killed while yellow or blueish? Or is it just a visual effect? You know like, for example, in God of War when chests are glowing blue or green for life or magic points.