Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elic

Prboom+ mouse running

After exclusively using the keyboard for 6 years, I'm finally biting the bullet and switching to mouse+keyboard control. I'm now finding it awkward to use the shift key to run (yes, I don't use autorun), and I think it'd make sense to use right-click on the mouse for running. For some reason prboom+ (the one true doom port) isn't letting me switch the controls to that.

Anyone know how to do this? Does prboom+ just not let you run with the mouse for some reason?

It looks like PrB+ inherits from vanilla's old mouse button handling, where only a few actions can be bound to mouse buttons, in this case: fire, use, strafe, move forward, move backward.

You could try putting the RMB to use and putting space (or whatever keyboard key you have as use) as run instead maybe?

plums is right to the best of my knowledge. If you're not interested in hacky solutions like using autohotkey to translate mouse2 to shift (wouldn't blame you), the best alternative would be finding a comfortable key setup. This can involve a lot of factors including the type of keyboard you use (ESDF, RDFG, ASDF etc. can be a pain with low key rollover keyboards).

As you're just making the transition a lot of things are going to feel very weird. It may be that you just get used to 'shift to run' over time, or simply find a more comfortable key for it or better key setup. I don't use autorun either and am so used to shift that not using it feels strange.

Some keys you might want to try; 'space' like plums mentioned, ESDF-movement and using 'a' to run is very comfortable if your keyboard plays nicely, 'caps lock' (seriously why was this slot wasted on caps lock for ANSI/ISO...) if you can put up with the obvious nuisances.

Thanks for the advice, ESDF + a seems to be working alright.

Don't get why such a well-developed port would have such weird limitations.

Processingcontrol said:

Thanks for the advice, ESDF + a seems to be working alright.

Don't get why such a well-developed port would have such weird limitations.

What's the point of not having autorun enabled aside from doing some awkward ledge platforming like in The Chasm?

Sometimes it's fun to walk around slowly, just sightseeing and appreciating the design. Some people probably also feel more relaxed this way.

kuchitsu said:

Sometimes it's fun to walk around slowly, just sightseeing and appreciating the design. Some people probably also feel more relaxed this way.

I actually do the majority of my Doom-playing without running at all. I only ever pin the Shift key down when I need to do a lot of quick dodging.

Hell, sometimes I play with a controller so I can move more carefully and slowly. Keeps me on my toes, in a weird sort of roundabout way.

You are aware that practically all ports with an autorun option also allow toggling it on and off with a "sticky" key (usually Caps Lock), right? If the purpose of walking slowly was occasional sightseeing, then not being able to randomly switch between hi/lo speed with a hold-down key would not be much of a drawback now, would it?