Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deatheye

Why are the new Hellknights...

I like how the HKs are now just bigger badder Imps and the Baron of Hell is this game's D3 HK, like it should be TBH.

Seeing the Baron get 1-shot'd with the BFG like in the original DOOM was really satisfying to witness.

It's hard to tell, but those holes could be eyes indeed.

In game this is unnoticeable, and no, they don't blink at all.

If you look inside those holes on the box art there seems to be these really small black circles that do seem to be eyes.

MrGlide said:

I see what you're talking about, and on the new one it seems theres a little hole in about the same spot. (edit) Boom, here's your angery screaming penushttp://i.imgur.com/V8TXkBH.jpg

Are you sure its that close to the mouth?
It would also suggest that they have a large brain (or a thick skull).

And with what id making some demons "blind"(Archvile, former imp ) I don't know if they actually made the HK blind.

Nineball said:

... but nothing tops the CyberMoose in overall shitty design.

People are still on about this? Wow!

In regards to the topic, I guess they wanted to visual differentiate the Baron from the HK. A mere pallete swap won't work as well here IMO.

I like Doom3 version of the Hell knight more, mainly because of the head not standing out. The new hell knights look like they have slices of cheese melted on their heads.

Voros said:

Are you sure its that close to the mouth?
It would also suggest that they have a large brain (or a thick skull).

And with what id making some demons "blind"(Archvile, former imp ) I don't know if they actually made the HK blind.

Thats the only spot It lloks to be really, or it doesn't have eyes, it might be the spots where they look where it's temples but the new one doesn't seem to have the same indents. Ya I think it's just got a big thick skull, same with the new one, I kinda see how it looks like it has cheese on it's head but to be fair thats what wet bone looks like. New hell knight looks good to me, it's mainly the same as the d3 verient.

Blind, what? Even the demons that lack eyeballs track your movements perfectly. Well, Classic Doom demons look a bit blind because their AI has them randomly going all over the place until they attack but eh.

Linguica said:

In Doom 3, the Hell Knights WERE the Barons of Hell - down to 2 of them coming out of the hell portal, etc.

In Doom 2016 the Hell Knights seem to have been recast back to their Doom 2 status as more of a mid-tier enemy - it seems like they don't even throw fireballs anymore and they act sort of like a big melee-only imp. Instead we have "real" Barons of Hell as big huge miniboss type monsters instead.

I remember some kind of Satyr type monster in a few Tormentor mods knocking about that just walk up to you and do heavy melee damage. I imagine this is the sort of thing they're going for. Essentially a slower powerful pinky variant.

HellVain said:

come on guys...dig deeper than super mario.

The hammer bros was an actual reference to id when they developed classic Doom.

The two Barons in E1M8 were intended as an hommage to the Hammer Bros in Super Mario.

tuo said:

The hammer bros was an actual reference to id when they developed classic Doom.

The two Barons in E1M8 were intended as an hommage to the Hammer Bros in Super Mario.

where did you hear this info? I find it hard to believe barons would be based on hammer throwing turtles.

HellVain said:

where did you hear this info? I find it hard to believe barons would be based on hammer throwing turtles.

I didn't say that. The idea behind their first appearance and them beeing two was based on the first apperance of the two hammer bros in Super Mario, as some kind of miniboss.

I not 100% sure what the original source was - wether it was the id Anthology or a different interview, but you can read about it in basically every Wiki regarding Doom and it's development, and you can even find the reference to the "bruise brothers" (that was the internal name for the two Barons) in the game files.

tuo said:

I didn't say that. The idea behind their first appearance and them beeing two was based on the first apperance of the two hammer bros in Super Mario, as some kind of miniboss.

I not 100% sure what the original source was - wether it was the id Anthology or a different interview, but you can read about it in basically every Wiki regarding Doom and it's development, and you can even find the reference to the "bruise brothers" (that was the internal name for the two Barons) in the game files.

so you're talking about their first introduction and not the design.

HellVain said:

so you're talking about their first introduction and not the design.

Exactly. That's we people draw the connection to the Super Mario Hammer Bros.

tuo said:

Exactly. That's we people draw the connection to the Super Mario Hammer Bros.

and thats where "dig deeper" comes in. There are visually no similarities between the design of the hammer bros and the doom 3/'16 hellknight.

Tbh, I like the choice to incorporate the Doom 3 style Hell Knights instead of just pallet swapping the Barons. Being on Doom 3's box art, they're probably the most recognizable monster from that game. Heck, they even made it into the movie.

I've said the same thing, it's good that the Hell Knight is finally its own enemy and isn't just living in the Baron's shadow. I'm also kind of digging the Archvile's appearance since the original looked like a big headed alien in the original sculpture, although the pixelation made it look okay.

MetroidJunkie said:

THIS looks like an alien? It even has the cow skull look going for it.

http://i.imgur.com/CIXXEhz.jpg

IF that's the arch-vile it's fine - but people say the arch-vile ist that stupid thing with the retarded hammerhead (shark) head

Deatheye said:

IF that's the arch-vile it's fine - but people say the arch-vile ist that stupid thing with the retarded hammerhead (shark) head

Yeah, the Arch-Vile is the guy with an Arch-head. I can't find a resemblance to anything from Aliens. It basically is an Imp without eyes and an Arch/Crown.

BTW: I love the new Arch Vile.

I didn't mean the movie Alien, I mean it looked like a generic representation of what you think of when you think of aliens.

Deatheye said:

Maybe the leaked Archvile wasn't actually what they had in mind or they listened to fan reaction and had it tweaked. This is from IGN's video of the little piece of the final level they played and, given it teleports around, throws waves of fire at you, and apparently can spawn enemies, I'd say it's the Archvile.

MetroidJunkie said:

Maybe the leaked Archvile wasn't actually what they had in mind or they listened to fan reaction and had it tweaked. This is from IGN's video of the little piece of the final level they played and, given it teleports around, throws waves of fire at you, and apparently can spawn enemies, I'd say it's the Archvile.

Ah, okay, you meant generic Alien.

BTW: that thing in the IGN stream is exactly the leaked Arch Vile. I can see no change. The only thing that looks different is the colorization, but the reason for that is that the leaked images came from the heatwave map, and a very specific spot on that map, where everything looked red/orange, with nearly no contrast, allthough it had different colors. Apart from that...that's the Arch Vile, exactly how it was leaked (and I still love it :) ).

Tetzlaff said:

Here's a comparison shot Doom 3 / Doom 2016. The new Hellknight is based on the D3 version, but not a direct rip.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zbb5ed.jpg

To me it looks like a rip. Only updated the model. Not this being a bad thing about them.

rekko said:

To me it looks like a rip. Only updated the model. Not this being a bad thing about them.

They should have done it with the IMPs also. They are so forgettable. A bunch of schizophrenic leprechauns