Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Memento Mori 3, question about E2M7

Yeah I think we have to keep in mind that Doom 4 has had quite a troubled development, which probably means they didn't have as much time to develop it as they would've liked. Part of me was wondering if the arena stuff simply flowed better with the combat they designed, but then you have something like the third hell level which has a hubspoke room where you need to collect two keys, but they make you pursue the keys in order. Definitely baffling, and even if they fix it in a sequel/DLC, it's a shame they couldn't hit their mark the first time around.

rdwpa said:

I don't see it as a petty complaint. It's quite disgusting.

If you're unnerved by the visual component, I suppose that's a fair complaint.

Necropolis makes you go for the two keys in order? I didn't even notice that, that's fucking retarded.

Not a bad idea, Linguica.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but so far I love it. You can really see and feel Doomguy's contempt in this title. I like the way the enemies are so far. I don't like the enemies with the shields though...every time I see them I'm like, "Can't I just deal with a few hellknights instead?! Please?!"

So far I am loving the design and the feel.

purist said:

I like the look of it but it won't run on my laptop and gaming laptops are expensive so I will wait until I get a PS4 which won't be for a good few months yet.

I like the art and I'm hoping Snapmap is versatile enough to provide some added value after I am done with the single player mission. I've had never been keen on deathmatch but I will probably give it a go.

It's not a bad game in and off itself, I'm just not keen on calling it (just) "DOOM" (without any additional number). All things considered, it does not quite qualify as a "spiritual successor" for me.

You might wanna head over to the snap map subforum if you haven't already. A couple threads there might be somewhat interesting for you.

As for arenas, I think they also exist because they really wanted constant 60FPS/1080p. Think about it. You start a fight in a room with 10 monsters then go in another room with 8 more monsters. Think of all the extra polygons and particle effects.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have made them more interesting and less obvious though.

DooM_RO said:

As for arenas, I think they also exist because they really wanted constant 60FPS/1080p. Think about it. You start a fight in a room with 10 monsters then go in another room with 8 more monsters. Think of all the extra polygons and particle effects.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have made them more interesting and less obvious though.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, they could have upped the monster count easily, but that would cut their target audience in half, if not worse. At the end of the day, that game is also meant to run on consoles as well as on "not entirely outdated" gaming PCs.

dobu gabu maru said:

^ Shame to hear that, the nonlinear stuff is awesome so far—I love trying to sniff out hidden weapons.

I also found a good video that showcases the speed of the game: clicky here.

The game has a brilliant fluidity but there are very few videos on YouTube which show that off. The weapons have nice feel (mmm super shotgun :)) and all the weapon mods work very well, except the scope for the heavy assault rifle as that feel kind of odd.

but this how not to play courtesy of Polygon: here (though they are using a controller XD)

Wow... this game does not hold your hand. Wake up, smash face, grab gun... let's play.

I thought I'd just load up Doom on the xbox, set it to Ultra-violence and kick some ass... I couldn't even beat the second room of the intro map.

Due to my masochistic tendincies I am now attempting to beat the game on Ultra-Nightmare. I got as far as Argent Tower before getting crushed by one of those moving platforms...

Started to reach the point where the game's levels get super-linear and boast several points-of-no-return. Mostly workable, but I kept missing secrets in the Advanced Research Complex, and thus had to listen to Samuel Hayden's speech four goddamn times just to 100% everything.

Fun game, but a "yeah, I've seen this cutscene, please let me skip it already" option would be very much appreciated.

Shadow Hog said:

Fun game, but a "yeah, I've seen this cutscene, please let me skip it already" option would be very much appreciated.

Agreed. It's bizarre that the game starts out establishing that the Doomguy doesn't give a shit about the exposition, but then doesn't give you any way to skip it when the game decides it wants to forcefeed it to you. The two longest exposition segments (in level 2 when you get the first energy orb, and Hayden's office) both were just a matter of waiting for the exit door to open, so why not make the door usable and let the Doomguy, like, wrench it open and peace out? That would have serviced the established characterization too.

dobu gabu maru said:

whereas the first four weapons in Doom 2016 get outclassed by the newer weapons.

With the infinite ammo over X armor rune on the machinegun missile attachment is never outclassed.

Tarnsman said:

With the infinite ammo over X armor rune on the machinegun missile attachment is never outclassed.

I missed a lot of the rune trial locations, I never got infinite ammo or anything super crazy like that.

I love the game by the way!

Tarnsman said:

Definitely better than the rest of the low tier repertoire, but siege gauss remains king, especially with infinite ammo. Pinkies are ironically the only thing in the game that can counter it.

Shadow Hog said:

I kept missing secrets in the Advanced Research Complex, and thus had to listen to Samuel Hayden's speech four goddamn times just to 100% everything.

RIGHT?! Same thing happened to me. I really wish the exposition was optional or "leavable" like Linguica mentioned, as I have no idea why Doomguy would willingly sit there and listen to Hayden blab on. On replays you realize how inessential the information in the dialogue is too, which makes their forced inclusion that much more baffling.

dobu gabu maru said:

Definitely better than the rest of the low tier repertoire, but siege gauss remains king, especially with infinite ammo. Pinkies are ironically the only thing in the game that can counter it.

Seige Gauss takes too long to charge, with infinite ammo missile machinegun is basically 'hold down fire. win forever.'

Tarnsman said:

Seige Gauss takes too long to charge, with infinite ammo missile machinegun is basically 'hold down fire. win forever.'

You can jump while it is loading.

Tarnsman said:

This sounds like the prattling of a fool that has yet to discover the One True Pathâ„¢ of Our Lord and Laserâ„¢ Siege Gauss. Despite the 1 second charge (which doesn't halt air momentum), nothing kills more enemies faster other than the BFG. Open Thy Eyes Tarns!

Finished the game this past Saturday (barring getting all the combat achievements and secrets in the final level). All-in-all, a fun romp.

Plot discussion time, I guess.

Spoiler

I kept expecting Samuel Hayden to double-cross me before the game was over. I was actually surprised that when such a moment came, it was as tame as it was. I mean, okay, he's a bit stubborn about ceasing playing with Hell, taking the Crucible for himself, and he definitely sent the guy back to Hell or something... but I kind of like that he's savvy enough to not just kill the Doom Slayer after all's said and done, because should things get out of hand again (and they almost certainly will), he's ultimately the only guy capable of fixing things. Just takes the MacGuffin that he probably shouldn't have, sends the Doom Slayer off to Hell to continue doing what he already seemed pretty content doing.

And okay, so I get that the Doom Slayer is actually a knight of a realm called Argent D'Nur, which was long since absorbed into Hell proper. While I won't lie and say that I'm genuinely interested into what Argent D'Nur was like in its heyday or how its war with Hell went down, I kind of liked the fan theories prior to this that the UAC just found the Doom Guy encased in his tomb after Doom 64, which this whole "knight of Argent D'Nur" backstory is incompatible with. Ah, well.

I do wonder if he's also the traitor who turned Argent D'Nur over to Hell in exchange for his son returning to life - since said son was returned as a demon, it'd definitely explain his motivations to kill every last demon alive in Hell (as if the destruction/assimilation of all of Argent D'Nur wasn't enough...).

And though I missed it in my playthrough, the Doom Slayer apparently backed VEGA up before following through on his request to blow him to kingdom come. That was awfully nice of him to do.

Tarnsman said:

It's great in early levels but I don't find the infinite rockets mod (I like to call it the Devastator from Duke3D) all that useful on higher difficulties, especially Ultra Nightmare.

I still think the infinite ammo rune is OP. Seriously.

The Siege Gauss is my shepard; I shall not want. (Though now I'll finally found the ammo rune, I may be tempted to stray.)