Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

100,000 Revenants - A Doom 2 Map

While pondering an idea for a map, I decided to make a level based on my user name, but while 100 Revenants was fun, it didn't seem as fun as it could be. Coincidentally, I also came across this thread and was shocked to discover that no existing levels met that criteria. Hence, in a true eureka moment, I realized I could combine the two concepts to make a level that was at least 10,000 times as fun as my original idea. Thus, I have created a map called 100,000 Revenants. Also, this is my first map.

Requires a Boom-compatible port, -complevel 9 recommended.

Download:

Preview images:
WUW0kwzm.png NyYp9dnm.png

Preview video:

Edited by Revenant100

This is actually really well put together for the concept. Cool title screen, iddqd blocked, fun midi. Could have been much, much lazier.

Anyone get a decent framerate ( >5 FPS?) once you've angered the horde?

franckFRAG said:

This is a map for John Suitepee.

Ha, you beat me to it xD

Will link the map to suitepee actually.

Revenant100 said:

While pondering an idea for a map, I decided to make a level based on my user name, but while 100 Revenants was fun, it didn't seem as fun as it could be. Coincidentally, I also came across this thread and was shocked to discover that no existing levels met that criteria. Hence, in a true eureka moment, I realized I could combine the two concepts to make a level that was at least 10,000 times as fun as my original idea. Thus, I have created a map called 100,000 Revenants. Also, this is my first map.

Requires a Boom-compatible port, -complevel 9 recommended.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/knhzbcuqj6z04lc/100KREVS.ZIP

Preview images:
http://i.imgur.com/WUW0kwz.png http://i.imgur.com/NyYp9dn.png

Sounds lame.

franckFRAG said:

This is a map for John Suitepee.

This is most certainly a map for me.....a map I will not be playing! I can barely run the thing and it freezes the instant I punch once.

I have a really fucking beefy computer, I mean, it ran the new DOOM's Beta with no issues, and I can't get this to run on any sourceports without it shitting itself.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Great. Now make a 100,000 archviles WAD .

Isn't that just an average Terry map's conclusion though?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I create new hardcore map, but with 100 archvile is extremely hard. Power "Invulnerability" will dont help you, because you will hang forever on ceil and you cannot shot them down...

I just had an epiphany and realized the map could be made even more vanilla-compatible with a few more trivial changes. The level can now be fully completed in Crispy Doom with minimal gameplay loss due to the missing Boom features.

The Civ said:

I can't get this to run on any sourceports without it shitting itself.

The source port of choice seems to have a lot to do with running the level without troubles. I've found that it runs just fine in PrBoom+, GLBoom+, Eternity, Doom Retro, Crispy Doom, and Doom Legacy. Unfortunately, but understandably, it crashes less advanced ports like Chocolate Doom and GZDoom.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Now make a 100,000 archviles WAD .

The Pain Elementals that spawn Arch-Viles in this map technically means the WAD already features an infinite amount of Arch-Viles. However, I couldn't fit "100,000 Revenants, 1000 Pain Elementals, and Infinite Arch-Viles" into the eight character filename limit.

yaqxsw said:

I create new hardcore map, but with 100 archvile is extremely hard. Power "Invulnerability" will dont help you, because you will hang forever on ceil and you cannot shot them down...

Umm, BFG, Cells And Invul floating near ceiling and that's it .

Oh god it's NUTS all over again!

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Infinite fun!

Wonderful news!

In light of this development, I've gone full steam ahead with the thrilling sequel, tentatively titled "1,000,000 Revenants". This new entry in the series is going to be at least 100 times as fun!

Here's an exclusive sneak peek at 1MILREVS.WAD:

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a bug right now where the map takes about three minutes to load, I spawn trapped under the floor, and I'm immediately pummeled to death by thousands of invisible Revenants who somehow have seen me without actually having seen me. The map is also now 10 MB in size. However, I'm sure these are just temporary setbacks!

Revenant100 said:

Wonderful news!

In light of this development, I've gone full steam ahead with the thrilling sequel, tentatively titled "1,000,000 Revenants". This new entry in the series is going to be at least 100 times as fun!

Here's an exclusive sneak peek at 1MILREVS.WAD:

http://i.imgur.com/hoWqPvb.png http://i.imgur.com/aWDGbyv.png

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a bug right now where the map takes about three minutes to load, I spawn trapped under the floor, and I'm immediately pummeled to death by thousands of invisible Revenants who somehow have seen me without actually having seen me. The map is also now 10 MB in size. However, I'm sure these are just temporary setbacks!

There's a limit to how many things there can be in the map. If there's too many, it will cause a DRAWTHING OVERFLOW or something like that. Limit-removing ports have indeed increased the limit, but not to infinity. If you cause the overflow, some wacko things can start to happen.