Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Has anyone tried remaking Doom In the quake 1 engine?

Has anyone tried remaking Doom In the quake 1 engine? If not then why not? Would Id allow it?

Personally, I don't see any reason. Quake's graphics are not much better than Doom's, in fact, they're even worse (the models).

MrGlide said:

Would Id allow it?

Yeah, we have fan-made Doom remakes for Doom 3, so there won't be any legal problems.

Breezeep said:

This is probably as close as it gets to making a quake map in doom.

But what about Doom maps in the Quake engine? :P

Personally I think it would be interesting to see how a Doom map would play when translated over to Quake. If I ever get the time to learn how to map for Quake (mapping in 3D engines is so time-consuming :x ), I might try converting a couple small-ish Doom maps over and see how it turns out. Something like Slayer from Plutonia, as an example, should be easy enough to start with.

Breezeep said:

This is probably as close as it gets to making a quake map in doom.

I actually want to go the other way around, do doom in quake. It would be quite a bit of work but AI think eventually it would be a fun project.

Isn't quake fairly easy to mod? Thats why I'm asking. I think it would be really cool to convert quake essentually into a 3d Doom. I don't see the low poly models as being a problem if done right, I'm perfectly willing tgo learn how to model for that.(I know if someone tried to do this with non-id teck Id would be forced to shut it down.)

It sounds like an interesting idea but I've always found Quake's fledgling 3D modelling to be a bit lackluster; they were in uncharted territory, ID.

I'm sure a remake could be done but it would probably feel VASTLY removed from any semblance of a DOOM experience.

Poormetheus said:

I'm sure a remake could be done but it would probably feel VASTLY removed from any semblance of a DOOM experience.

I respectfully Disagree, Quake 1 felt very "Doomy", more so then the other quakes IMO.

AD_79 said:

But what about Doom maps in the Quake engine? :p

My bad, didn't read the title correctly.

Hiya!

What I've always wanted to see (or do) is take DOOM, and then "put it in Skyrim". Or, basically, any "open world" type setting. I've played with the concept, and have actually recently (as in a couple days ago) started playing around with the idea using Unreal Engine 4.11.2. Having the graphics capability of UE4, Cryengine, or Skyrim...but the idea of being in a world I could walk around in and explore...in the DOOM setting? *cream*

I don't think this is even close to trivial, but I have been thinking about how interesting a DOOM4-style game in Quake 1/Darkplaces :)

Gore, no fall damage, Big F*cking Guns, etc.

Should be achievable to a quality of nearly the current BethesDOOM4 if enough work and time would be put into making such a game.

kaadmy said:

Should be achievable to a quality of nearly the current BethesDOOM4 if enough work and time would be put into making such a game.

lol no, there is a huge difference between darkplaces and id tech 6. QDoom is going to be a goal for me, after I make a few wads I'll start throwing my efforts into that.

I have no idea how quake modding works, but would you be able to use the map converter this guy used to put e1m1 in mario? It converts the map into a 3D model in wrl format, which can also be converted into object format. Can you make a quake map out of that? https://youtu.be/cPQ9kRevYUU