Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Could you live without multiplayer?

Recommended Posts

As Marty put it, the beta was the tip of the iceberg. On the other hand, I think everyone who played the beta got the gist of how multiplayer is going to work, and the reaction - on Doomworld at least - hasn't been unanimously positive. Some people think it suffers from an identity crisis, some dislike the CoD-esque loadouts, others think it's more Quake-ish than Doom-ish, etc. etc. The exact nature of the complaints vary, but the general reaction from the naysayers is that it's kind of eh. The final product will simply have more content to complain about, right?

So the question I have for these people (and everyone else) is: What if Doom '16 was a purely singleplayer game? Do you think it even needs a multiplayer component?

Nightmare mode: All multiplayer content is removed from Snapmap, any potential for multiplayer is left to more technically-minded types and how flexible the game is, à la Doom 3 co-op.

Share this post


Link to post

You know, there are lots of people who complain That a said cool FPS game doesnt have a multiplayer, example: shadow warrior 2013. Alot of people werent too happy about it not having a MP mode.

Share this post


Link to post

I would be completely peeved if there was no multiplayer as its always been a huge part of Doom for me. The stock standard multiplayer isn't perfect and I'm looking forward to increased player speed SnapMap DM, but even if there was no SnapMap, I'm still very glad there's a multiplayer mode as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Absolutely.

There are very few MP games which I will play for a length of time. Most MP shooters don't really hold me because I'm not very good at them. Some of them I've played because I have friends to play with and that stuff is always better with a couple of mates to play with. Generally I know in advance whether a game will hold me or not, and a lot of that is based on if people I know are gonna be playing it.

Right now, my MP game is Rocket League. I have a bunch of friends to play it with, I'm not half bad at it (yes I am), and it's still fun. I'm comfortable not bothering with an MP shooter which I am not great at.

To answer the direct question, though -

DoomUK said:

So the question I have for these people (and everyone else) is: What if Doom '16 was a purely singleplayer game? Do you think it even needs a multiplayer component?


In the current market, yes. A game needs to cater to both SP and MP audiences in order to garner good sales and enough longevity to maybe sell some DLC. That's the way the industry currently works for big AAA titles. I think Snapmap will go a good way toward prolonging the "life" of Doom with players as well, but since they have pledged to make snapmap content updates free, they are still going to need something to sell people further down the line.

Share this post


Link to post

From the marketing point, as AirRaid said, it should have a MP. But my personal opinion is that i really dont care about mp in any games i have ever played. I just downloaded the MP Beta because i was so curious about how the gameplay and weapons feel and how it looks. I cant tell if the MP is bad because i cant compare it to other games. It was the first death match i ever played. And after i receive the game i wont go back to play the MP again. Its just not how i like to play. If the new Doom had been 100% SP it would be fine for me (even if this is selfish, thats my answer for your question).

Share this post


Link to post

I don't care for MP at all, I'm not even gonna touch it so there's your answer. But of course people would cry and whine if there was no MP. Then again, now they cry and whine that it's not precisely what they wanted. So screw people, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

As Marty put it, the beta was the tip of the iceberg. On the other hand, I think everyone who played the beta got the gist of how multiplayer is going to work, and the reaction - on Doomworld at least - hasn't been unanimously positive. Some people think it suffers from an identity crisis, some dislike the CoD-esque loadouts, others think it's more Quake-ish than Doom-ish, etc. etc. The exact nature of the complaints vary, but the general reaction from the naysayers is that it's kind of eh. The final product will simply have more content to complain about, right?

So the question I have for these people (and everyone else) is: What if Doom '16 was a purely singleplayer game? Do you think it even needs a multiplayer component?

Nightmare mode: All multiplayer content is removed from Snapmap, any potential for multiplayer is left to more technically-minded types and how flexible the game is, à la Doom 3 co-op.

Yeah I can live without versus MP because then the game will more SP and co-op options. The MP only nutcases need to get off their high horses and understand that developers don't always have to cater to them.

Share this post


Link to post

I pretty much don't care about MP in general. SP is all I'm about in most games, except UT (my one weakness). So if Doom didn't have MP, I wouldn't even notice it / care....

Share this post


Link to post

yes, but that would pose a huge problem for doom 2016, aka no replay value.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, i could, because recently we saw that hackers, you know that video with the wallhack and the vortex rifle?
Yah, that's what i'm talking about, good luck not being put into a server with one of those scumbags with wallhack, all thanks to that matchmaking system, made by Certain Affinity.

Share this post


Link to post

I have written off Doom MP for the most part, it is trash. I am buying it for the SP experience which, so far, looks epic .

Share this post


Link to post

Multiplayer as in PvP? I would be fine. Co-op? If this was lacking Co-op I would be pissed. I'm sure when it comes out there will be plenty of fun times though. I quit caring about competing in fps some time ago, still not sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
MrGlide said:

Multiplayer as in PvP? I would be fine. Co-op? If this was lacking Co-op I would be pissed. I'm sure when it comes out there will be plenty of fun times though. I quit caring about competing in fps some time ago, still not sure why.

There's no co-op unless it's made in SnapMap.

Share this post


Link to post

Personally, I could do without the competitive aspect of multiplayer. Especially if it became another Call of Duty-esque clone.

I might not mind it as much if it's a little more like Quake Live, where for the most part, everyone is on equal footing and the levels are relatively small. Doom Deathmatch works best as fast and furious - you're not wasting several minutes after each death running back to the action.

I'm also a fan of the co-op aspect, and even if the game doesn;t have it by default, I'd love to see what the community can come up with. Quality slaughterfest co-op maps, anyone?

Share this post


Link to post

While i do enjoy a competitive MP every once and then, im more of a SP guy. That being said, i did enjoyed both the MP alpha and beta despite all the flaws it has (it's just mindless fun).

I got to play it with a friend during the open beta, and he enjoyed it more than i did, so now he's gonna buy the game just for the multiplayer (weird isnt it?).

So yeah, while im buying the game just for the SP and i could live without the MP, im glad it's there and im gonna be playing it because i enjoyed the beta. Wish the campaign had Co-op tough

Share this post


Link to post
Traysandor said:

I'm also a fan of the co-op aspect, and even if the game doesn;t have it by default, I'd love to see what the community can come up with. Quality slaughterfest co-op maps, anyone?


I am very much looking forward to that as well. Just fun coop missions. :) I never got to experience that with the original Doom 1/2.

I just hope the levels from SnapMap will be of decent size. I was quite shocked to see that the little single player level they used in the stream was sitting at 25%.

That level was small and extremely barren. I hope well at least be able to create decently sized levels with details (clutter/prefabs/smoke) somewhat matching the campaign levels without running into memory "limits".

Share this post


Link to post
MrDeAD1313 said:

There's no co-op unless it's made in SnapMap.

If there was no co-op then there wouldn't be any form of it at all.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I find it really hard for me to care for the MP when I've got classic multiplayer in SnapMap anyways.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not into multiplayer games, so I could definitely live without it.

Share this post


Link to post
NodEliteX5 said:

If there was no co-op then there wouldn't be any form of it at all.


There seems to be no co-op regarding the SP campaign. There are hints that apart from SnapMap Co-op, there is a Co-op mode similar to "waves after waves of demons attacking you, until you die". I know there is a term for that...horde mode/zombie mode, I don't know.

But it looks like there is no co-op for the campaign.

Share this post


Link to post

Definitely. I don't play multiplayer arena FPS's and am not good at them. I might play some Doom multi to see how it is but I'm in this for the SP.

However from a marketing standpoint, multiplayer is mandatory for this type of game.

Share this post


Link to post
tuo said:

There seems to be no co-op regarding the SP campaign. There are hints that apart from SnapMap Co-op, there is a Co-op mode similar to "waves after waves of demons attacking you, until you die". I know there is a term for that...horde mode/zombie mode, I don't know.

But it looks like there is no co-op for the campaign.

Yeah that was confirmed a while ago but just because there is no official co-op mode made by the developers doesn't mean the co-op options in snapmap suddenly doesn't count because they are made by the players. There is co-op in this game just no campaign version.

Share this post


Link to post

I love Wolfenstein TNO and TOB, and they don't have multiplayer. I never even really though they should have it, either.
Coop is something I always enjoy and wish any game with SP had coop, but I can live without it.
As for the new Doom, I probably won't ever launch the competitive MP side of it, the campaign will be 80% of my time and the rest will be Snapmap maps I'll play with just some friends and thats it.

Share this post


Link to post

I can live without Multiplayer but I'm one of the few who really enjoyed the MP demo so I'm pretty thrilled with it all.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×