Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

They Messed Up the "Classic Doom" Levels

Hofmann said:

Well, is it not a tiny little room?

Hmm No because you will be able to play the entire e1m2 in classic Doom style once you discover the Easter egg. So if that wall has upside textures then the entire secret level you unlock will have the same issue. At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep over a tiny texture, but I'm just justifying some people's over reaction. I was 9 when the original Doom came out and I still have my shareware copy and other versions to keep me happy. :)

Champskiez103 said:

Hmm No because you will be able to play the entire e1m2 in classic Doom style once you discover the Easter egg. So if that wall has upside textures then the entire secret level you unlock will have the same issue. At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep over a tiny texture, but I'm just justifying some people's over reaction. I was 9 when the original Doom came out and I still have my shareware copy and other versions to keep me happy. :)

We don't know though if that means the level connected to it will suffer the same issues as the easter egg. I think it's more of a 50/50 thing of either more work was put into the full version of the levels, or they could end up being like the easter egg.

I'm sort of hoping more work was put into the full versions of them, but not being able to at least do a snippet of the map right does push it more into the direction of it possibly having the same issues.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Misaligned textures, missing lighting...This video explains in detail what a sloppy job id did with the classic Doom level secrets in Doom 2016. Speaks volumes about their appreciation of the originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHIAtGFLbE

Why does this thread appear upside down on my screen? Or does this happen to everyone else as well?

NodEliteX5 said:

Why does this thread appear upside down on my screen? Or does this happen to everyone else as well?

id software may have something to do with that...

watstha said:

id software may have something to do with that...

Did this incorrectly flipped texture thing create a new meme?

LittleBurger said:

Did this incorrectly flipped texture thing create a new meme?

Pretty much, btw here´s Hell´s new inverted cross, courtesy of id:

Spoiler

This game is not going to be judged on the accuracy of its easter eggs (except here maybe), it will be judged on the actual game itself, so this is naturally where id will focus its resources. Even now i expect the team are working flat out and there is literally no spare capacity to have someone spending time going through ENTIRE OG levels and manually flipping textures or adding lighting ...

As someone mentioned it was most likely an issue with importing into the new engine, and as an easter egg it is not a big deal. Its just there to give you a little bit of nostalgia, and yes of course it will look out of place and break your immersion, its a different game with a completely different appearance :)

I love how this entire thread is upside down.

Edit: ok it's just the first page so pretty damn funny

Who cares If they fucked It up? If I wanna play Classic DOOM I can just go Into GZDOOM, or any source port I like and boot It up In just 4 seconds.

I'm severely want to make a JokeWAD where EVERYTHING Is upside down.

But something similar to that's been done, called "DOOD".

I went the extra mile and tried to only flip the ones that are flipped in the video. I even added a custom texture representing the "outside" of the easter-egg.

I'll be honest, I am wearing glasses, but I barely saw any difference. It might even be Improved? Maybe It's just me.

Like I said, I barely saw ANY difference between the two, whether Is was upside down or not.

Besides, who REALLY cares? If I wanna play Classic DOOM, I'll boot up GZDoom, like I said, In a few seconds. It's obvious I won't care about these easter eggs anyways.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'd like to know how flipping textures and completely stripping out the lighting is an improvement.

I meant the textures, not the lighting, the lighting Is horrendous.

The textures really, REALLY don't make a difference to me at all, I really wouldn't care for the easter egg, they put all their time Into the game, at this point these easter eggs are last minute stuff, so expect them to not be good.

One problem there, chief, they claim to have full versions of these levels that are unlocked when you find those sections in the Doom 2016 levels. So expect ENTIRE LEVELS without any lighting at all and presumably crap texture placement.

I mean, there's a reason to be bothered, but come on, It's last minute stuff that we'll Ignore anyways, expect for the damned Easter Egg hunters on YouTube.

It doesn't bother me at all, I'm more happy that the actual game Is finished. There's always the EXE that's placed on your desktop If you wanna play Classic DOOM.