Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

They Messed Up the "Classic Doom" Levels

You know what, if they're going to give so few shits about these easter eggs that they shrug off one of the original game's most distinctive features (dramatic lighting), something that has actually been a major part of every single release, then I'll just avoid those particular secrets. They make the original game look really boring.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Find it silly that you cannot cancel the Pickup animation for weapons, Especially when getting attacked .

You literally can only find the weapons when things are calm, If there's a fight we'll be too focused on KILLING the demons, afterwards, just pick up the weapon. Just giving my two cents.

And about the Classic DOOM levels, I'll only be finding them when I want to 100% the Campaign.

I'm hoping they flipped a few textures just to get people angry over things that don't matter. Surely it would take deliberate effort to flip an mis-align them? Or maybe it was a glitch that they deliberately left. They were probably sick of people ranting about how awful the game would be and made or left things like this just to get those people more angry and show them up for the narrow-sighted, egotistical people they are.
How you can make the leap from "textures are upside-down" to "the whole game is awful, and totally not Doom." says more about you than the developers.

I do think it looks odd, but if I want to play the original Doom levels, I'll play them, or make my own.

Personally I'd have preferred it if these secret areas had identical layout to the original levels, but used the Doom4 engine so it would be a little while before you realised what it was. That would have been pretty neat. Especially if they just threw in the odd sprite ammo pack here and there.

Still not a big deal though.

Sorry to derail but for some strange reason the first page of this thread is completely upside down on my cellular device.

jdagenet said:

Sorry to derail but for some strange reason the first page of this thread is completely upside down on my cellular device.

I believe that's intentional.

Tritnew said:

I'd have to agree with this, Wolfenstein: TNO's classic levels didn't really accurately do the original's any good, It was a fun little easter egg, I mean, sure they're gonna allow them to be fully playable, and It might be a no no. But seriously, no one will be looking for them anyways If they're new to DOOM, If they wanna play the original, they can go on the Steam store and get It, Hell they can pirate It If they want.

Remember when RAGE did the same thing and they didn't do any good with It? I barely heard people give a shit about It, they shat on the game. Remember when Wolfenstein: TNO did It? People loved It despite the enemy AI not being accurate, as you said. And now they fuck up DOOM too and people just go berserk over It, literally.

Stop overreacting, It truly Is a no no, but once the game Is out, this thread will somewhat die out and we'll be busy playing the actual game they put all their damned heart Into.

Alright, I'll stop ranting.

That would be because Wolfenstein, while having plenty of fans to this day, doesn't have quite the... dare I say cult that Doom has.

I love those easter eggs, but I agree with some people in here saying they should have added lighting. I also wished they added in the classic enemy sprites and sounds. Just for a good bit of fun. Or to give new players incentive to play the classic maps from the main menu; they should have hidden one of the doomguy toy's in one of the classic maps secret areas.

Champskiez103 said:

I love those easter eggs, but I agree with some people in here saying they should have added lighting. I also wished they added in the classic enemy sprites and sounds. Just for a good bit of fun. Or to give new players incentive to play the classic maps from the main menu; they should have hidden one of the doomguy toy's in one of the classic maps secret areas.

The classic sprites/enemies would fit in better with the classic levels than the newer iteration of said enemies.

I unlocked tower of babel, complete with cyberdemon, so yall who want to fight him over and over again, there you go.

The classic levels are alright, they bring a smile to my face, but you know what triggered me?

The flame decorations not having an animation. I know they were lazy and doing this as a quick fix, but COME ON, Id.

Tritnew said:

You literally can only find the weapons when things are calm, If there's a fight we'll be too focused on KILLING the demons, afterwards, just pick up the weapon. Just giving my two cents.

And about the Classic DOOM levels, I'll only be finding them when I want to 100% the Campaign.

Also, that was a thing in Vanilla Doom so you can't fault them for disregarding the Classic spirit in THAT regard. =P

Temporarily moving away from the inaccuracies of the textures, does anyone know exactly which levels made it into the game? The only ones I know of are E1M2 and E2M8, and I guess there's 11 more of them.

MOV_Games said:

Temporarily moving away from the inaccuracies of the textures, does anyone know exactly which levels made it into the game? The only ones I know of are E1M2 and E2M8, and I guess there's 11 more of them.

Entryway, Hangar, Toxin Refinery, Halls of the Damned. That's really all the new ones I know of.

Ah, I actually found a gameplay playlist of 12 classic maps. Looks like the (possibly) full list of the maps that made it in are SPOILERS:

E1M1: Hangar
E1M2: Nuclear Plant
E1M3: Toxin Refinery
E1M4: Command Control
E1M8: Phobos Anomaly
E2M6: Halls Of The Damned
E2M8: Tower Of Babel
E3M2: Slough Despair
E3M3: Pandemonium
E3M4: House Of Pain
D2M1: Entryway
D2M2: Underhalls

Not a bad list, though Episode 2 was a bit underused.

Phobos labs is missing in that list.

And yes, the maps they chose are pretty good. Im especially glad they added Halls of the damned and House of Pain.

MOV_Games said:

E1M1: Hangar
E1M2: Nuclear Plant
E1M3: Toxin Refinery
E1M4: Command Control
E1M8: Phobos Anomaly
E2M6: Halls Of The Damned
E2M8: Tower Of Babel
E3M2: Slough Despair
E3M3: Pandemonium
E3M4: House Of Pain
D2M1: Entryway
D2M2: Underhalls

So excited they put in "Halls of the Damned" the pinkys in that level on UV are so goddamn difficult. The hallways are so narrow there's no escaping them. Really fun to be challenged on levels I've beat a million times before.

Halls of the damned is a bitch with all the pinkies. I was at the end and got killed by a lost soul. It's hard to tell where those things are when their fucking screaming envelops every direction of sound.

Some of these maps are a real headache on Nightmare, especially when health and armor values are screwed up (a small health kit gives just 1 health, health vials give you as much health!)
I seem to have a glitch where I spawn with a shotgun, minigun, and rocket launcher for every classic level, but then when I try to switch using the weapon wheel, it gets stuck, and the only way out is to press the chainsaw key. Doomguy will then put the current gun away, and go through the pulling out chainsaw animation, except hes holding the pump shotgun.
Lost souls also seem to be stuck in the ground half the time and enemies, specifically the Pinky, get stuck on geometry trying to charge the player