Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

They Messed Up the "Classic Doom" Levels

MetroidJunkie said:

I've got a counter point. GZDoom Builder, export to obj, add point lights. You were saying?

http://i.imgur.com/2bAahhr.png

I'm some guy who whipped this together in minutes, quit giving AAA companies excuses. I know this doesn't impact purchase of the game, you don't have to follow two extremes. You can be of the mindset that the game is overall good and worthy of purchase but this half-assed middle finger to classic fans still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Are you not allowed to criticize the game at all, do you have to be either an outright hater or an apologetic fanboy?

You should contact the devs on twitter. I'm sure most Doomworlders will like the post. Maybe they'll see it and take action.

MetroidJunkie said:

You can criticize one aspect of the game if it's lazy and half-assed but still enjoy the rest of the game, can you not?

Why do you feel it's lazy and half-assed? Do you know the exact reason behind the textures beign upside down?

MetroidJunkie said:

I'm simply criticizing what I feel is a lazy half-assed middle finger to fans of Classic Doom.

You might as well say they are showing a lazy half-assed middle finger to themselves.

When Wolfenstein The New Order and The Old Blood does Easter eggs of the classic maps, no one complains. But when Doom 4 does it.... " OH MY GOD THE VISUALS AND TEXTURES IS NOT ACCURATE TO THE CLASSIC DOOMS, TRIGGERED "

Chickensoup101 said:

When Wolfenstein The New Order and The Old Blood does Easter eggs of the classic maps, no one complains. But when Doom 4 does it.... " OH MY GOD IT'S NOT ACCURATE, TRIGGERED "

Because Doom has a bigger legacy than that of Wolfenstein, almost 25 years and the community hasn't slowed down, so a lot of people get really passionate about it.

Honestly it's just see it as an oversight. To call it a middle finger on classic fans it's just an exageration. Most likely it happened that way because of the way the level was converted to the new engine. It looks odd, but to me it's harmless, just something to nitpick, instead of the current shitstorm reaction that it's getting

Also John Romero retweet makes me thing that he has no love for the new doom. It might hurt the new game

Hofmann said:

Why do you feel it's lazy and half-assed? Do you know the exact reason behind the textures beign upside down?

The fact that no one apparently noticed an upside down texture being used repeatedly, completely absent lighting and issues with proportion, on top of not being aware of the GZDoombuilder easy fix, PLUS an embarrassingly simple demonstration of how to do it right, is a little weird considering the rest of the game, which is far more detailed and complicated, looks more polished. I'm still going to buy the game, but I can't help but wonder why they would bother with such a nostalgic and personal secret if they're only going to do it halfway...

Lord_Kane said:

HOW DARE THEY NOT GET THE TEXTURES RIGHT ON A EASTER EGG.

PREORDER FUCKING CANCELLED I AM PRE ORDERING CALL OF DUTY INFINTE WARFARE AT LEAST THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR FUCKING REMASTERS THERE.

Ahhh, Doomworld .

The first page of this thread is pure gold. Well done, whoever did that CSS rotation :)

tuo said:

The first page of this thread is pure gold. Well done, whoever did that CSS rotation :)

Wow, just noticed that. Lol. These kinds of tricks are one of the reasons i like Doomworld.

I think it goes to show how ingrained classic Doom imagery is in our heads. And yeah that's fucking hilarious, I just now noticed the flip!

tuo said:

Whoever did that.... GIVE THAT RANDOM PERSON A FUCKING BFG COOKIE!!!

DMPhobos said:

Also John Romero retweet makes me thing that he has no love for the new doom.

Yeah, he disappointed me.

Hofmann said:

Yeah, he disappointed me.

No, he has every right to be angry.
I'd be pretty pissed if someone managed to mess up something I originally created this badly.
It's like if someone took the Mona Lisa, and 20 years later decided to paint a new one to pay homage, but forgot to put any shading on the painting, and accidentally put on her smile upside down.

It's still better than Wolf:TNO easter egg, BJ moves so fucking slow and enemies do shitton of damage.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Ahhh, Doomworld .

I was being sarcastic, but seeing has sarcasm is hard to detect in text, I'll let it slide :P

Still no jokewad? I am disappoint :(

Someone put the E1M2 theme in reverse too if they do it. That'd be funny.

The Civ said:

And I have every right to be disappointed in him.

The Civ said:

I'd be pretty pissed if someone managed to mess up something I originally created this badly.
It's like if someone took the Mona Lisa, and 20 years later decided to paint a new one to pay homage, but forgot to put any shading on the painting, and accidentally put on her smile upside down.

Yeah, I can see why the original creators and the fans would be upset since this re-creation makes the game look worse. So people new to the franchise will run through the classic levels and say "This isn't scary", "It's kind of bland", etc, since there's no shadowing.

I'm sure John Romero doesn't really care how the reboot turns out, but I'm sure he cares a lot about his own game being misrepresented in a worse way. The same goes for fans who passionately stand by those classic Doom games, only for new fans to get a worse experience.

My thoughts since all I have been is sarcastic so far:

I think its a pretty nasty oversight to flip the textures and its likely the other easter eggs will have similar oversights and errors, there could be literally a thousand and one explanations and excuses for why this happened but hopefully Id goes over and fixes these issues either in the first couple of patches for the game or with a day zero patch.

I will be honest I have been kinda hesitant on DOOM since the beta, as the beta was kinda underwhelming and I have been generally satisfied about how the single player looks so far, granted its not Doom 1993, but I was not expecting Doom 1993 with a coat of 2016 paint to begin with, for all the pros and cons modern game development brings with it, would I like a bit more "classic" gameplay?

Yes of course I would, but it in MY opinion (I know a fair few of you will disagree with me on this point) it looks and plays how I would expect a action shooter in 2016 would play.

As for John Romero not being happy with DOOM 2016, well its his right, I intend to ask him on twitter sometime after the game is out and people have played it about how he feels about it, and considering Doom was is baby he has a right to his opinion or opinions, will I disagree with him on it? yeah. maybe. Will others? yup. but as one of Doom's creators he has a right to his opinions and I cannot deny him that, I can disagree with or be disappointed about them. Just like other Doomworlder's opinions, I know some of you will be okay with it, will hate it or love it.

My only complaint so far other then the lackluster MP is the art style, but its Schrodinger's opinion on that, its a bit too Doom 3/Halo for me, but then again I liked Doom 3 and Halo so I am a literal quantum state of disapproval/approval on that one.

Sorry for the slightly rambling tl;dr.

Feel free to ask for clarifications, they wont be as long as this though :P

To note:
I am getting the game on Xbox one, as being a poor 30 year old man (yes pathetic I know) my brother already owns an xbox one (as he unlike me has had a so far successful life) so I will be one of the console kiddies playing it and my current rig which I hope to upgrade, isnt it going to cut it for doom.

I have also been playing Doom since 1993 when it released, yeah I was 7 bloody years old, good god time goes so fast.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I'm sure John Romero doesn't really care how the reboot turns out, but I'm sure he cares a lot about his own game being misrepresented in a worse way.

Hmm yeah, you are right. Also i think that i jumped straight into conclusions based on the retweet, i regret bringing it to attention since i guess i got the wrong impression

Lord_Kane said:

As for John Romero not being happy with DOOM 2016, well its his right, I intend to ask him on twitter sometime after the game is out and people have played it about how he feels about it, and considering Doom was is baby he has a right to his opinion or opinions, will I disagree with him on it? yeah. maybe. Will others? yup. but as one of Doom's creators he has a right to his opinions and I cannot deny him that, I can disagree with or be disappointed about them. Just like other Doomworlder's opinions, I know some of you will be okay with it, will hate it or love it.

Id' really love to know what he thinks of the new reboot. He previously said that he disliked doom 3 because it was too predictable. Wonder what he thinks of the new doom in general

People are fucking impossible. Honestly, who the fuck cares? Yes, they should fix this, but this isn't a big deal at all. I actually feel bad for all the shit this game is getting. It's an unreal level of butthurt.

AnonimVio said:

It's still better than Wolf:TNO easter egg, BJ moves so fucking slow and enemies do shitton of damage.

The guard recreations were a bit on the lazy side, but to be honest, with the way Wolf 3D worked, one shot could do a small amount of damage to nearly half your health in a single bullet thanks to the RNG.
Although their AI seems more true to the originals in The Old Blood, even if in due part thanks to recreating the entire first episode of the original game.

DecemberMan said:

People are fucking impossible. Honestly, who the fuck cares? Yes, they should fix this, but this isn't a big deal at all. I actually feel bad for all the shit this game is getting. It's an unreal level of butthurt.

What I find more absurd is people like you flipping out because some of us have standards of quality and expect these things to be done right. We aren't asking for perfection, we just want the classic Doom levels to actually look somewhat accurate. Having upside-down/majorly misaligned textures and no lighting what-so-ever is lazy and inexcusable.

The Civ said:

Yup! Exactly. He has deep passion for something he put his all into.
It's like a proud papa who taught his son everything; only to be left out of the thank you speeches. I'd also like to point out; it's sort of more; than an easter egg, because when you do find these levels you get to play them in their entirety from the menu select screen.

Well, if they are going to fix the textures I hope they give us the 2D enemy sprites while they are at it.

chubz said:

What I find more absurd is people like you flipping out because some of us have standards of quality and expect these things to be done right. We aren't asking for perfection, we just want the classic Doom levels to actually look somewhat accurate. Having upside-down/majorly misaligned textures and no lighting what-so-ever is lazy and inexcusable.

Ok, I can understand demanding quality, just don't act like a bunch of whining manchildren.

chubz said:

You know what's even more absurd? People flipping out because some people flip out over some people flipping out because of some meaningless detail like texture is upside down in a fucking secret that is part of a different game. The easter egg isn't meant to be serious, like every other easter egg before and after this one.

Champskiez103 said:

I'd also like to point out; it's sort of more; than an easter egg, because when you do find these levels you get to play them in their entirety from the menu select screen.

So what?

DecemberMan said:

totally agree, the level of bitching in this thread is ridiculous.