Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kuchitsu

who are awadaday and doom_txt?

my impression of awadaday is that they leaned more towards /vr/ but that is baseless speculation. they may well have an acct tho.

.txt is csonicgo and a few other folks iirc

BluePineapple72 said:

I'm going to do the same, but I need to make a Twitter first

It is worth.

kmxexii said:

.txt is csonicgo and a few other folks iirc

I'll expand on this.

@doom_txt was created around February 2014 by a Doom community member, who I won't name, who was tired of the influx of "shitposts" on DWF, ZF,ZDF, and elsewhere. The account was to be in the vein of @goons_txt, which is basically the worst posts of GBS. Linguica hadn't wielded his mighty banhammer in quite some time, so @doom_txt had lots of material. Lots of disgusting material.

The original bio of @doom_txt was "Doom_txt, where the safest place is behind a trigger warning. Beware, these quotes are real." Not very nice, is it?

Besides, the whole point of "txt accounts" was to take terrible posts out of context, for shock value and for comedy. This was the height of "cringe comedy" that had become popular on Twitter at the time. The user of the account became disgusted by the task of searching for posts, so the keys were given to me around March 2014. Since then there are several people who man the account.

There was once a Google docs file that would contain anything the @doom_txt maintainers found. This list grew to 50 pages or so before it was just too much to parse through. Plus, it was all really, really terrible posts. Some of them I still haven't posted because they're that disgusting. I save that document for days when there's a lull in content.

It quickly became apparent that searching for absolute shit was too easy, since a select few Doomers somehow had no inkling of self-awareness; so pretty much everything that came to mind was typed and posted, and then found by others and tweeted. So for a while we switched formats to post funny photoshops from /vr/, classic doom rants from days gone by, funny /idgames reviews, and more. We even used it to pimp BTSX for a little while.

We still scoured forums far and wide for content, though.

Then, /vr/ found us in a few months, and instantly fell in love with the account. They've been so helpful in showing how positive the Doom community can be, even as much as to give us a shoutout in the generals. We give shoutouts from time to time, so keep a look out.

Today, @doom_txt covers Twitch streams, tweets, forum posts from Doomworld to Steam Forums and the Bethesda Community forums, Tumblr posts, random Google finds, and other miscellanea. Some stuff wasn't sourced, and I feel kinda bad for doing that, but thankfully google's reverse image search helps a lot with that. Regardless, some of our best content is mined from the shittiest of posts.

The funniest parts of being a @doom_txt maintainer is when someone takes the account seriously. Most Twitter users don't read the bio, so the account has been accused of being "on drugs", "schizo" and many other hilarious things. Sometimes /vr/ asks if we're agreeing with them or not. I suppose that is a result of attempts to stay "neutral". There's no harm meant in the tweets, either - even my posts have been featured in a tweet once or twice.

Some days the account will go through a "mania" phase and tweet material like crazy, mostly so cringeworthy the followers beg for mercy. "I'm too young to die", they scream, not knowing how much we scream at the content before it's edited or posted. ;-)

Woot! one of my messages was featured in the Tweet.

Wtf does woot mean?

You take good shots man. I use them pretty often when I'm too lazy to take some of something on my own.

Someone should run doom with a nice source port with ability to fly and super high resolution and go on a photo safari of all the levels in all the wads.

zajazd raelly looks like a substantial thing some people care about reading, to this i have no slightest doubt.

Hmm, a few of my posts ended up being on doom_txt. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not.
I also up to this moment thought that doom_txt is run by one of the mods/admins, not by a regular user..

Csonicgo said:

It quickly became apparent that searching for absolute shit was too easy, since a select few Doomers somehow had no inkling of self-awareness

Csonicgo said:

I'm conflicted between roaring laughter and letting my head explode.

ChekaAgent said:

Hmm, a few of my posts ended up being on doom_txt. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not.
I also up to this moment thought that doom_txt is run by one of the mods/admins, not by a regular user..

If there's one problem with the new, fun @doom_txt, its that it is no longer clear whether being quoted is something to be proud of or ashamed.

Hint: in your case, ashamed.

Jon said:

If there's one problem with the new, fun @doom_txt, its that it is no longer clear whether being quoted is something to be proud of or ashamed.

Hint: in your case, ashamed.

Good. That's half the fun of figuring out if its cool or if you should be disgusted. Or both, I don't know I'm not your dad.

Phml said:

I'm conflicted between roaring laughter and letting my head explode.

mlyp

I'm just bustin' your balls, no need for anger, this is supposed to be fun!

40oz said:

You take good shots man. I use them pretty often when I'm too lazy to take some of something on my own.

Someone should run doom with a nice source port with ability to fly and super high resolution and go on a photo safari of all the levels in all the wads.

thanks dude!

one of these days i'm gonna add tumblr links to the screenshot showcase blocks so you can get the hi-res alternates if desired

Csonicgo said:

mlyp

I'm just bustin' your balls, no need for anger, this is supposed to be fun!

Hundreds of troll posts to pick from, and you choose an over-the-top political rant relatable to most people outside of the anglosaxon radprog internet bubble as evidence of *my* lack of self-awareness.

I'm not effortlessly cool enough to maintain google docs and twitter accounts dedicated to stuff others said, but I will confess occasionally linking DWers saying the darndest things. You used to feature preeminently in said links, hence why your name pops up in my mind despite us never having any beef. Take heart... That was a few years ago. Now you're all grown up, on the right side of history.

Phml said:

Hundreds of troll posts to pick from

Are you admitting to trolling a lot?

Phml said:

over-the-top

Are you trying to say it was an intentionally ridiculous reaction?

Post Hell- Crazy entertaining discussions/posts

doom_txt- Shitposts at its finest.

I love these two.
...my posts aren't there. Is that a good thing?

Phml said:

Hundreds of troll posts to pick from, and you choose an over-the-top political rant relatable to most people outside of the anglosaxon radprog internet bubble as evidence of *my* lack of self-awareness.

Well, when you put it that way, of course.

Most of the time, I don't go deep into post history. A lot of posts/comments/whatever that are converted to tweets, were made in the past 14 days. However, any "greatest hits" that everyone remembers are an exception. All of us have made crazy posts at least once, so I keep that in mind.

If you're still shitposting in $CURRENT_YEAR then I can't really help you.

kuchitsu said:

Aren't you afraid that you will encourage bad posts by glorifying them like this?

If they want to shitpost unironically, then they won't last long on these forums anyway.