Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Snapmap Community

just wanted to say if id/bethesda wants to keep up the longevity of the doom franchise by leveraging Snapmap and mods, first and utmost it needs to assemble the whole community together and that includes offering a sustainable place to allow fans to communicate with each other. Thankfully, there's now Facebook page that everyone may leverage for free and with ease. After killing off Quakelive's forum and along the former doom 3 fan sites shut down way back, im not sure how id/bethesda will be able to pull this off and gather all the modding talents back in one place. Personally, i doubt if many existing classic doom mappers and modders who are still active would be willing to make the switch. Not aware of if there was ever an active community for building custom doom 3 maps so that's not even worth to mention. The last group of talents the community could really count on was the Quake 3 Radiant community which is already ages ago and those guys might think that they are already too old for this. Not sure how this will turn out but best of luck to the future of doom!

/rant

There will be an Ingame SnapMap community, and players can share their maps with others using a special tag .

They do have a hub in game, where like mentioned you can tag maps, you can also rate them.

One thing though, is you can branch off other maps, I can see this causing confusion, but its also extremely powerful, any programmer familiar with open source (and git to be specific) would understand that. So I agree, a way of communicating with other map makers is needed. The problem is consoles, typing on a console is a fucking bitch. A mobile app or something for non PC players would be good.

That's not really enough though. Like 999cop is saying, you need a place for discussion to happen, or a lot of the cool collaborative things that people might do together will just never get done.

The owner of the biggest halo forum on the internet (forgehub.com) is starting a new Doom website that he's shooting to get running by the game launch. It'll be under the domain of DoomNetwork.com I believe so you should check back then when the time comes :)

Doom World is all the community anyone needs.

Actually on second thought, let's not cater to the world full of PC and Console users.

Right, just take few screenshots and give your Map tag and that's it .
Not to mention hundereds of maps that will be uploaded on SnapMap Community .

SnapMap will be the closest thing we get to how it was with classic WADS, that people can make lots and lots of alright to stunning pieces relatively quickly. No BBS Bulletins or whatever used to be, but the same spirit.

I'll be getting it on ps4. I play a lot of destiny and I have the companion app for my phone and it quite easy to orginze something with handy chat and fourms access with ease.

What I am trying to say is I want an app to communicate or atleast have a option too

AirRaid said:

That's not really enough though. Like 999cop is saying, you need a place for discussion to happen, or a lot of the cool collaborative things that people might do together will just never get done.

Do you think we'll get a sub-forum here? I'd really love not to try and work with people on facebook personally. Or would it just be in doom 16?

AirRaid said:

That's what I mean, a general discussion board and then a discussion board per map so anyone branching from it can discuss and figure out how to improve it, etc. Pretty much exactly how pull requests and branches work in git. Then again I might be misinterpreting what they mean by branching off maps.

Doomnetwork.com just went live! A website completely dedicated to doom map creation and level design :) I think everyone should check it out

I just went and checked out that place and literally the first fucking word I read is 'Halo'.

People are going to make shitty unfunny jokes about this I'm sure.

Ya I'll wait a lil bit before I get my hopes up for that one, we'll see alot of these I bet.

Almonds said:

I just went and checked out that place and literally the first fucking word I read is 'Halo'.

People are going to make shitty unfunny jokes about this I'm sure.

So the way the website works is that it shares the same api as the halo map design site for forging (forgehub.com) which means you can literally use the same log in and profile/post information on both sites without having to make a new account or anything. Pretty cool stuff. Right now is the opening day and there's some info bleeding over from the forgehub side which is why there were some halo threads showing up. It should be figured out soon.

MultiLockOn said:

So the way the website works is that it shares the same api as the halo map design site for forging (forgehub.com) which means you can literally use the same log in and profile/post information on both sites without having to make a new account or anything. Pretty cool stuff. Right now is the opening day and there's some info bleeding over from the forgehub side which is why there were some halo threads showing up. It should be figured out soon.

I agree with the others, I think Doomhub would have been a better name.

MultiLockOn said:

Doomnetwork.com just went live! A website completely dedicated to doom map creation and level design :) I think everyone should check it out

honestly no point in setting up another site. The only doom community we all know still exists after 2 decades remains in here. Websites are dusty old like forever man. Its only a matter of time before it goes defunct. Even a facebook page would be more effective than that.

or better yet, beg Linguica or UGN to create a dedicated section to Snapmap here on doomworld. Would make more sense.

999cop said:

honestly no point in setting up another site. The only doom community we all know still exists after 2 decades remains in here. Websites are dusty old like forever man. Its only a matter of time before it goes defunct. Even a facebook page would be more effective than that.

There's nothing wrong with having more forums to help grow the community. Especially since doomnetwork is primarily level design, it's specialized. And managed by someone who knows what they're doing.

999cop said:

or better yet, beg Linguica or UGN to create a dedicated section to Snapmap here on doomworld. Would make more sense.

That would be nice too, but honestly this site is ancient...Which wouldn't be an issue of the site didn't LOOK ancient lol it could definitely use an update.

MultiLockOn said:

And managed by someone who knows what they're doing.

What are you implying?

Edward850 said:

What are you implying?

The guy i was replying to was implying that doomnetwork would eventually go the way of the dodo bird. Im I'm just pointing out that the owner of the site has a great history with other gaming communities. Other level design focused communities at that. I just think it's annoying that that someone went out of their way to invest time and money into a Doom website (a really well built one too) and people are essentially blowing it off without a chance. I think it's a great opportunity to regrow the level design side of the Doom community again, and be essentially brother sites to the most prolific Halo map making website EVER. There's a lot of REALLY talented map makers at forgehub that are getting Doom specifically to make maps and are excited to learn the ins and outs of level design all over again.

MultiLockOn said:

I think it's a great opportunity to regrow the level design side of the Doom community again,

Do you know where you'r posting right now XD, not to mention the zdoom forums. I mean Good luck and everything, it might get nice and big who knows.

The real diversity in SnapMap will honestly be in what kind of AI sequences people can come up with. What it lacks in Map diversity, it seems more than capable in that department. Assuming the examples aren't just prefabs and you can really go to that degree of control, it would almost be like ACS in ZDoom. That Boss Mancubi with Wizardry powers was pretty bad-ass and the Harvest Moon knockoff definitely shows some potential in the genre morphing department.

MrGlide said:

Do you know where you'r posting right now XD, not to mention the zdoom forums. I mean Good luck and everything, it might get nice and big who knows.

I have no clue about the history of this forum. I was under the impression it was just a general doom forum, and not one with a prolific history in level design. I'm pretty much born and raised on Halo so you'll have to forgive my ignorance lol. I remember reading somewhere that not many doom mappers are left here. Is that true?

MultiLockOn said:

I have no clue about the history of this forum. I was under the impression it was just a general doom forum, and not one with a prolific history in level design. I'm pretty much born and raised on Halo so you'll have to forgive my ignorance lol. I remember reading somewhere that not many doom mappers are left here. Is that true?

We have an entire forum section dedicated to editing, another dedicated to releases of said editing, and a frontend dedicated to downloading said edits from a 20 year old FTP that gets content uploaded to it faster then we can review it.

The idea that Doom's mapping and modding scene is apparently "dying" is extremely laughable and uninformed.

Edward850 said:

We have an entire forum section dedicated to editing, another dedicated to releases of said editing, and a frontend dedicated to downloading said edits from a 20 year old FTP that gets content uploaded to it faster then we can review it.

The idea that Doom's mapping and modding scene is apparently "dying" is extremely laughable and uninformed.

I'm not talking about the modding scene. I'm talking about the new Doom's snap map community, and it's longevity.

Huh? But that's exactly what you asked.

MultiLockOn said:

I remember reading somewhere that not many doom mappers are left here. Is that true?