• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Snapmap Community

Edward850 said:

Huh? But that's exactly what you asked.

Oh. Sorry I should be more clear lol. Doomnetwork is dedicated to anything doom level design related. But I wanted to start studying some level design for this series and a Doom community member mentioned that a lot of the known doom mappers left this forum for whatever reason. I just wanted to know the story behind that.

MultiLockOn said:

Oh. Sorry I should be more clear lol. Doomnetwork is dedicated to anything doom level design related. But I wanted to start studying some level design for this series and a Doom community member mentioned that a lot of the known doom mappers left this forum for whatever reason. I just wanted to know the story behind that.

Just Time, People come and go, it's just how life goes on. There are still plenty Of high quality Mappers here. Quite a few actually.

MultiLockOn said:

people map for fun, its a hobby to them. So they will come and go. Its not rocket science so no need to analyze it.

like i said, highly doubt if many classic doom mappers will make the switch and start mapping for the new doom. The last active id game mapping community is quake 3 but thats dead too now.

The only new doom/snapmap mappers will come from the next generation of people. Either attract some new blood or this is going nowhere.

999cop said:

like i said, highly doubt if many classic doom mappers will make the switch and start mapping for the new doom.

The only new doom/snapmap mappers will come from the next generation of people. Either attract some new blood or this is going nowhere.

I dunno, I'v been playing doom for a long time but I'm new to the mapping scene, I'll check out snap map and see what I can do with it, so if I can come up with something good and different. As for big projects I'v a hard time seeing snapmap completely replacing Doom mapping. There's to much flexability for old doom to ever go away.

MultiLockOn said:

That would be nice too, but honestly this site is ancient...Which wouldn't be an issue of the site didn't LOOK ancient lol it could definitely use an update.

Doomslayer is ancient. He doesn't LOOK ancient though...

MrGlide said:

I dunno, I'v been playing doom for a long time but I'm new to the mapping scene, I'll check out snap map and see what I can do with it, so if I can come up with something good and different. As for big projects I'v a hard time seeing snapmap completely replacing Doom mapping. There's to much flexability for old doom to ever go away.

It doesnt have much to do flexibility imo. Snapmap could be just as flexible as classic doom mapping. The point is, how much details would you need to add to your map? you can map for 15 min in any map editors if several squarish boxes are what you want to go for. Modern mapping for doom 2016 is about complexity and details which would require a lot of time and that's an asset that not everyone is able to commit unless when people treat mapping as a hobby rather than work.

When people think that they are creating for fun than work, it's easy to scale.

just refer to the GTA world and you'll know what i mean.

999cop said:

It doesnt have much to do flexibility imo. Snapmap could be just as flexible as classic doom mapping. The point is, how much details would you need to add to your map? you can map for 15 min in any map editors if several squarish boxes are what you want to go for. Modern mapping for doom 2016 is about complexity and details which would require a lot of time and that's an asset that not everyone is able to commit unless when people treat mapping as a hobby rather than work.

When people think that they are creating for fun than work, it's easy to scale.

just refer to the GTA world and you'll know what i mean.

I'm sorry I don't understand the Grand Theft Auto reference. I now feel I Should have used to word Freedom, especially artistically.