Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What are the most beautiful maps you've ever seen?

What are the most impressive looking maps you've seen? I was messing around with stardate and was wowed by some of the great designs, what maps have visually impressed you?

The later maps in Sunder
Almost anything by Dobu Gabu Maru
Valhalla and Putrefier by Ed

No specfific maps but thr maps from:
Ultimate Torment and Torture
BTSX
Stardate 20X6
Epic 2
Deus Vult
Scythe II

A good lot of the maps from Going Down, Valiant, and Back to Saturn X are among the best looking I've seen.

Back to Saturn X, Sunlust, and some of the later maps in Phobos: Anomaly Reborn, all for vastly different reasons.

tough topic/body combination here; some of the levels which impress me most are visually ugly with urban decay

Beatiful maps?
BTSX maps
Don't read the spoiler

Spoiler

Almost all of Sergeant_Mark_IV's maps.

*picks up riot shield*
I'm only being truthful!

Dunno, I'm starting to forget what is beauty in Doom. Most "beautiful" maps seem visually boring in that they typically just take one or two structural ideas and recycle them to death, all with same color combinations. Five years ago that could easily impress me, now I just see lifeless repetition and lack of ideas in such levels. Nowadays I'm manly interested in maps that look interesting, e.g. use stock textures in unusual ways that work unexpectedly well, have cool daring structures and shapes that you won't encounter in "carefully designed" wads because they won't look neat on the automap, stuff like that. So I can name a bunch of interesting looking maps, but beautiful? I'm not sure if they still exist in my mind.

kuchitsu said:

Most "beautiful" maps seem visually boring in that they typically just take one or two structural ideas and recycle them to death, all with same color combinations. Five years ago that could easily impress me, now I just see lifeless repetition and lack of ideas in such levels.

Reminds me of a map not so long ago where everything was blue or purple. It didn't get more than a shrug, and I think that's the epitome of what you describe here.

It's a style that won't work for me.

I prefer to see things that haven't been done in the Doom engine before. As a rather old example, take the crane in Phobos: Anomaly Reborn. Despite appearing crude compared to what modern ZDoom maps do, it's the stuff I like to see: Some creative design that's well integrated into the map's gameplay.

Stardate 20X6 is the first one that comes to mind. ZDCMP2 and BTSX are also some that impressed me on the visual side of things.

The original Dues Volt is great and Brutal Doom's starter pack, while not entirely consistent, has some of the best city maps I've ever seen.

HIB said:

Minas Morgul from Deus Vult 2.

I had to stop my DV2 playthrough at that one. My laptop couldn't handle that map. Every time I looked toward the main structure it dropped to about .5 fps. 2014 laptop too. Crazy

GoatLord said:

and Brutal Doom's starter pack, while not entirely consistent, has some of the best city maps I've ever seen.

I have to admit - that one really surprised me. It definitely was better than expected.

Map 10 of Sunder. Specially the begining.

I will probably never get good enough at Doom and beat this map without gameplay mods, but man, is it great looking. It's just too perfect, the first thing you see is a giant, sick, completely METAL looking castle in the distance, and your weapons are all on top of what appears to be a gallow. It always bums me out when some makes a very detailed building/structure in a map, but you can never actually go inside of it, or it has only a few rooms. That's not the case with *this* map, as the whole level takes place inside that actual castle, going all the way from the front gate to the topmost room! No teleport tricks, no nothing. I also love the combination of textures, those hell/tech, hell/flesh textures together just makes the whole place look like a nightmare. One of these days I should just print that screenshot and frame it.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Map 10 of Sunder. Specially the begining.
http://i.imgur.com/LnhMHhi.png

I will probably never get good enough at Doom and beat this map without gameplay mods, but man, is it great looking. It's just too perfect, the first thing you see is a giant, sick, completely METAL looking castle in the distance, and your weapons are all on top of what appears to be a gallow. It always bums me out when some makes a very detailed building/structure in a map, but you can never actually go inside of it, or it has only a few rooms. That's not the case with *this* map, as the whole level takes place inside that actual castle, going all the way from the front gate to the topmost room! No teleport tricks, no nothing. I also love the combination of textures, those hell/tech, hell/flesh textures together just makes the whole place look like a nightmare. One of these days I should just print that screenshot and frame it.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH! *slams face into keyboard*

That's just awesome... I need to download this map-pack RIGHT NOW!

It looks atmospheric, moody, H.R Gigeresque.... everything I love about Doom and more.

That's it, fuck it... I'm downloading this map-pack. Running through it with Doom 64 monsters + Smoother Doom 64 weapons. ;)

no love for kama sutra? i've never played back to saturn but that looks good too.