Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What theme do you like the most?

So in Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom there are basically 5 major themes most of the time:

1. Army and/or tech base.
2. Evil tech base (tech theme mixed with hellish influence).
3. Hell.
4. City.
5. Industrial.
6. Temple/brick.

Which theme do you like the most and why? For me it would be hell closely fallowed with evil tech base. The reason is that I feel hellish levels give more creative freedom while most tech base maps just kinda feel the same. I think the industrial style of Doom 2 CAN be fun but many of the maps in Doom 2 I thought were just kind of lame honestly.

1 Tech base
2 realistic looking urban city maps (think DN3D style, not Doom 2 style)

Do not like:

Doom2 city style. (makes anything go right to the dumpster.)
Hell that isn't hell (again, like too many of Doom 2's hell maps)

I really like hell maps the most but you usually find them at the end of most megawads and many megawads get really hard when you get to that point and I get tired trying to power through them from a pistol start. I like the way Memento Mori 2 did it by starting you off in hell and it felt like you were cleaning up the after math of the previous invasion. My favorite is that e4 theme though. Wood, tan bricks, rusty metal and green marble against an orange sky gets my dick hard.

Favorite is Doom 1 E3 gothic hell (which I guess would be Temple/Brick by these standards). Marble bricks and evil faces in imposing yet ornate designs, mixed with outdoor areas with rock and lava flats... oh yes.

Least favorite is E1 techbase.

In MM2 it doesn't feel like hell that much though. At least I didn't even know that it's supposed to be hell until Adam Windsor said that they wanted to reverse the classic base->hell progression.

I guess mine is Industrial and Temple/brick. The theme I would stick to, when making original levels, is an E4 style gothic-ish design.

1. Tech base
2. Wood/Gothic
3. Hell
4. Industrial
5. Everything else

Base, Infested Tech Base, Hell when its done right, and Marble/Wood aka E4 style. Earth settings are usually too abstract and misrepresented due to the original texture choices.

surreal and/or unnatural stuff is tops. impractical architecture and stuff floating around in voids rocks my socks. bonus points for going outside iwad texture-combos.

I like maps with mixed style (evil tech base, you can say): maps like E2M2, E2M4, E2M6 and E2M7 are my favourite.

Judging from the maps I've made so far, I'd say "outdoors", "hell", "techbase", "metal", and "abstract" are my favorites, in no particular order.

Gothic, anything that wows me with great macro-architecture and slick design. Not a fan of mundane 1-px grid detailing or Doom-style "realistic" stuff.

Ribbiks said:

surreal and/or unnatural stuff is tops. impractical architecture and stuff floating around in voids rocks my socks. bonus points for going outside iwad texture-combos.

Seconding Ribbiks here. Sunlust's space/void levels with various blinking lights were really great. Valiant's two void levels looked great as well.

As far as conventional styles go:
1. Well made Hell maps that aren't redrock caverns. Flesh is a good theme as is demonic looking temples and cathedrals.
2. Good looking and convincing city maps. Pretty damn rare in most megawads. Something like Hellbound when done in a more conventional style or Hell on Earth Starter Pack's phenomenally detailed and realistic urban areas.
3. Corrupted base. E2M4 is a great example of that.
4. Original techbase design. None of that E1 startan ripoff junk. Something with an interesting setting like Lunatic or E5 in Valiant.
5. Overgrown ruins like in Plutonia.
6. Industrial/nukage maps. Get that crap outta here. By far the worst setting. I groan whenever I see "Waste Processing", "Nukage" or the like in a next map title. Bonus shit points if it's all underground like The Chasm or Abandoned Mines in Doom 2.

1) Tech base. I strangely find these the most fun.
2) Hell. Very compatible with other themes.
3) Space. I'm surprised it barely got mentioned by others so far.
4) Gothic. I get a feeling that there is a greater emphasis in detail/architecture with this one.
5) Woods/nature.
6) City. Like others said, if these are more Duke Nukem 3D-inspired, then yes.

I really like Chris Lutz' underground spaces. I also like more Quake 2-style techbases -- like Darkening 2. But UAC Ultra's crumbling Mars installation is pretty unique.

And I could play a whole megawad of nothing but Sunlust's MAP30, though maybe not with the ame difficulty.

1. Tech/Hell
2. Hell
3. Techy Bases
4. Gothic
5. Cities (Am I the only one who loves DOOM 2 city maps?)

HIB said:

5. Cities (Am I the only one who loves DOOM 2 city maps?)

Nah, I got your back mang. I like all the city levels in Doom 2 and consider the middle chapter to be the best part.

1. Hell
2. Forgotten and abandoned bases
3. Abstract halls (like Sunder Map13 and Map14)

I can find any theme awesome if depicted well (imaginative, varied, realistic-like...), but techbases just happen to be my soft spot.

I love the Temple/Marble/Wood themes, followed by tech base/tech hell. All the rest im indifferent to.

I also love egyption themed maps, particulary those of Scythe 2 which imho are the best of their kind.

kuchitsu said:

In MM2 it doesn't feel like hell that much though. At least I didn't even know that it's supposed to be hell until Adam Windsor said that they wanted to reverse the classic base->hell progression.

Yeah, Resurgence is probably a better example.

City and industrial maps, especially well executed ones. I've got a liking to the ones in Freedoom phase 2 (specifically, map16-17)
And of course, HacX map01 and the new map16

:P

Egyptian / Aztec themed maps always seem to 'tickle my pickle' so to speak.

Spoiler

...That's probably going on doom_txt, isn't it?

I love aztec themes, especially Brotherhood of Ruin's kind of Aztec theme.