Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobbingSnake

The Little Things Thread

GoatLord said:

There's a lot of variety and verticality to the environments in addition to the maps looking HUGE, very exciting.

I am really excited about that too. It was interesting that in one of the gameplay streams, maybe it was the Gamespot one, Marty Stratton said that first they made abstract levels out of gray boxes and then they played these and test them if they were fun, and finally the artists made them look like they make sense. Some people have complained that the level design is a little "boxy" but I think that's great because you can instantly detect which platforms or ledges you can climb and so forth.

I like how the art style of the imp resembles Freedoom's Orb monster.

larrypotter said:

I am really excited about that too. It was interesting that in one of the gameplay streams, maybe it was the Gamespot one, Marty Stratton said that first they made abstract levels out of gray boxes and then they played these and test them if they were fun, and finally the artists made them look like they make sense. Some people have complained that the level design is a little "boxy" but I think that's great because you can instantly detect which platforms or ledges you can climb and so forth.

You beat me to it! I was just making this observation while watching some gameplay footage and reflecting on Marty having said that the other day. To me this is the best way to approach layouts. You think in terms of fundamentals; about creating an interesting space to explore that flows well. To me this is the best indicator yet that the levels are going to have memorable design.

GoatLord said:

You beat me to it! I was just making this observation while watching some gameplay footage and reflecting on Marty having said that the other day. To me this is the best way to approach layouts. You think in terms of fundamentals; about creating an interesting space to explore that flows well. To me this is the best indicator yet that the levels are going to have memorable design.

This is the approach they went with for UT3 and the new UT. After they determine the map is fun, they do paint overs on screenshots as the first phase for figuring out how the final map is going to look. Gameplay first, looks and theme second. That's how more games should be doing it.

I like how Samuel's office is the only pristine, not-fucked-up place in the game. Kind of odd how it's filled almost exclusively with Night Sentinel and Doomslayer artifacts, though.

Jaxxoon R said:

I like how Samuel's office is the only pristine, not-fucked-up place in the game. Kind of odd how it's filled almost exclusively with Night Sentinel and Doomslayer artifacts, though.

Spoiler

Despite his not so fan-boy like approach, I believe he initially developed an infatuation for Doom Guy. Meanwhile Olivea Pierce wanted to dispose / hide him. A bit of conflict seems apparent between the two and the slayers of Doom may of been Samuel's pet project when he felt the cult situation was becoming out of hand. Afterall, he is one the one who invested in your release. That's my 2 cents anyway.

As for the clean office, well he has a powerful suit and a range of personal technology that likely keeps him safe. Try shooting him when you meet him, he has some sort of green shield.

He had that bigass sword from the early version of the release trailer for a reason, I guess.

... I just realized that the bigass sword scene is gone in the final release trailer. Huh.

Jellyman1303 said:

Gameplay balancing

Would be fine if the replacement attack they get in mp wasn't more unbalanced compared to the single projectile at a time attack from the sp one. More than likely they just wanted him to be purely melee or something.

Also, I like how some enemies have got them jumping skills.

Because trying to take a ridiculous sprite like the pinky and transforming it into a believable 3D model is fucking hard. Doom 3 made it look like an uncut penis and the new one looks like a cartoon character. Whadaya gonna do.

GoatLord said:

Because trying to take a ridiculous sprite like the pinky and transforming it into a believable 3D model is fucking hard. Doom 3 made it look like an uncut penis and the new one looks like a cartoon character. Whadaya gonna do.

Well yeah, they look cartoonish for sure.

I mean why they hell are they now the hardest enemy in the game, coming from generic demon cannon fodder in the originals?

HXCpr0n said:

Well yeah, they look cartoonish for sure.

I mean why they hell are they now the hardest enemy in the game, coming from generic demon cannon fodder in the originals?

In Doom 2016, every monster fills a particular niche and does something unique. The "cannon fodder" role is already filled by the basic zombies, and to a slightly lesser extent the imps. So they had to do something spiffy with the pinky.

GoatLord said:

So far I think the physical model made for Doom 64 was probably the best go at a Pinky Demon.

Sorry that this is not related to the single-player campaign, but I appreciate how if you toggle the mute all option on in multiplayer it automatically mutes any incoming players as well. I hate having to pause the action in CoD just because one new guy joined the game.

gamul312 said:

The plasma gun sound effect from Doom 1/2 used during the Argent Tower sequence? (https://youtu.be/aySdXXUdrFc?t=1857)

thats actually just probably either a machinery repair droid humming around, or one of those injector thingamajigs that go in and out of the spinning thingy circumventing the ray.

Almonds said:

thats actually just probably either a machinery repair droid humming around, or one of those injector thingamajigs that go in and out of the spinning thingy circumventing the ray.

It is the injector thing but I meant it is the same sound.

chubz said:

Imagine if eye-ripping a Cacodemon resulted in it blindly flying around in pain/panic, spitting plasma balls everywhere until it eventually died. It'd especially be cool if it inadvertently hit and killed a few friendlies before succumbing! LOL

Hey, my idea ended up being in the game after all! I totally forgot about making that post, LOL. I've noticed it's pretty glitchy, though. Sometimes you'll gib them and plasma balls will come launching out from above their corpse. It's as if the game hasn't registered that they've been gibbed, and thinks they're still in-tact.

gamul312 said:

It is the injector thing but I meant it is the same sound.

still can't really hear it, though

You know what small detail I love above all?

In UAC, the first level, after the first Gore Nest you get into an elevator.
The intro video rolls in with kickass soundtrack, then we get back to the elevator with the music still playing and Doomguy reloads his shotgun just as the music stops and the elevator doors open, telling the player he can take control of the game again and kick some more ass.

That perfectly timed shotgun reloading sound is exhilarating and I can never get tired of it.
The only thing missing is something to shoot just as we take control of Doomguy.

I only played the demo. But one little thing I liked was that you could observe the Possessed kneeling down and worshipping the Gore Nest after a while.

@methy: the best part is how the shotgun cock is exactly in time with the music, on top of all that.

A few details I noticed and annoy or satisfy me especially:
- I do not like that fists are available only through Glory Kills, but I like that Berserk gives unique, ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL GKs. Really feels visceral and powerful, giving you a sense of just about how strong you become with it (ripping open Imp skulls comes to mind).
- Plasmagun bolts look pretty, but they would be more apt for some sort of electrical weapon. Plasma projectiles should be blindingly bright, like the sun.
- I would prefer that Super Shotgun had cut down barrels, and not the stock, like the orignal had. You really need to brace onto something when you fire two shells at once, even if you wear powered armour all the time.
- I do not like that Hellknights no longer fire plasmaballs. Also, cutting the same from Barons in multiplayer is a wrong decision. Screw "gameplay reasons", it reeks of balancing everything on the cost of fun and believability, which ends in something like Halo - sterile and boring. Barons should retain plasmaballs and have other significant disadavantages, like being big and slow.
- Laughing Cacodemons idle animation is great and fits those oddballs just perfectly!

methy said:

You know what small detail I love above all?

In UAC, the first level, after the first Gore Nest you get into an elevator.
The intro video rolls in with kickass soundtrack, then we get back to the elevator with the music still playing and Doomguy reloads his shotgun just as the music stops and the elevator doors open, telling the player he can take control of the game again and kick some more ass.

That perfectly timed shotgun reloading sound is exhilarating and I can never get tired of it.
The only thing missing is something to shoot just as we take control of Doomguy.

I wish there was a way to replay that opening sequence, besides starting a new game. I honestly got chills from it.

Variation in the skyboxes, giving you not only a new, pretty skybox to gawk at every time you're in an outdoor area in a new level that lets you go outside (and there's a lot of those), but a real sense of you going to a different, geographical location.

And speaking of skyboxes, the vibrant colours of said skyboxes (along with everything else in the game). The Mars sky isn't just a dull, orange anymore. It's got warm, yellow light coming from the sun along with bright orange and red.

When I first played the opening level of the game, I spent most of the time just gawking at the environment and the most satisfying part (or the most memorable) was staring at the skybox.