Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

AD_2048 (one map, currently)

Hi all. Didn't feel like working on larger, more serious projects, so I took a few days to build a quick 2048x2048 map, as I always wanted to do one of those (plus I missed out on both Mayhem 2048 and PCCP2, hehe). Might do more eventually if I feel like it.

NOTE: Skill settings are not yet present. Might need balance work?? There also might be some minor gameplay-related issues with the small bridge before the blue key jump, though in testing it seemed fine.

Download. Requires retres a la Mayhem 2048. Tested in PRBoom+ -complevel 9. Music is "Egypt" by Symphony X, with the midi sequenced by Simone Mularoni.

CS8WQ16.png

Have fun! : >

Edited by AD_79

Here is my FDA , I would have liked to finish this level but the Cybie finally killed me after 20 minutes of search. I love Eternal Doom's graphics , the level is beautiful. However , the path is obscure

Here is my FDA , I would have liked to finish this level but the Cybie finally killed me after 20 minutes of search. I love Eternal Doom's graphics , the level is beautiful. However , the path is not obvious and the Cyberdemon makes this level very stressful !

Good map.

The beginning is pretty hard , I a died a couple of times.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w2zc13am30xdrc/FDA_Roofi_AD2048.lmp

(Sorry for double-posting , it's just a mistake...)

FDA. Too scary\stressful for me to enjoy (I'm afraid of cybers) but probably good level. Btw the chandelier sprites are not centered (this always bugged me in wads that use them).

Oh hi! Nice map overall. The switch to lower the bk pillar was a bit to hard to find imo.

Glad to see you guys are enjoying this. I was very curious about how people were going to respond to this one.

kuchitsu, those off-centered chandeliers really bug me now that you point it out. Will have to fix that!

hurray, more eternal doom stuff.

here's a demo: https://www.mediafire.com/?dl89ccfblbhi79l

didn't think the map was too hard, there was more than enough health to forgive mistakes so I got away with some rather sloppy playing. I thought I might've screwed myself by preemptively trying to take down the cyb, so if you watch that demo get ready for lots of tedious non-zerk punching :p

misc thoughts:
- nice use of 2048 gimmick, barely felt constrained at all, the nice out-of-bounds detailing helped here
- imposing cyb use, the placement was influenced by that one hallway cyb people fondly mention as being scary? (mm29, was it?)
- man, fuck that shootable switch. that should've been permanently lowered, not SR lift imo, and maybe a brighter switch texture. The only reason I figured it out is because I was playing with no music and I was finally able to faintly hear the lift sound effect on the edge of the lift switch platform. It's doubly hard to see due to the midtex bar blocking your sight of it from where it's supposed to be shot. The rest of the progression was fine, I've gotten rather used to anticipating the X-switch and tree-face textures after eternall :)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, Ribbiks. Will watch the demo (and the others!) when I get home. I'll definitely tweak that shoot switch, I might keep it timed but make it available longer or something, and also brighten it up a smidge.

EDIT: the cyb placement was not directly inspired by mm28 but looking back at it I can see how one could think that :P

The brown X switch is weird. Is the doomguy really tall enough to reach it? Maybe he jumps...

Disclaimer : I've never been a huge fan of Eternal Doom's obscure switch-hunting and random wall-humping shenanigans, and this map has its fair share of bullshit "puzzles" ( read : semi-secret switches that you may or may not find by accident, such as the X button ). A matter of taste, obviously.
I had to cut the music off to even be able to hear the whereabouts of the shootable switch, and that's a pity to do that to a Symphony X midi... :)

Aside from all that, the map was actually pretty good !
Great pressure all along here in the form of Mr. Surprise Cyberdemon, and the layout was particularly interesting.
Moreover, it's always nice to see Eternal Doom's GFX put to good use.

Players may get stuck : linedef 1471 uses a W1-type linedef action instead of WR, so the wooden bridge will eventually stop working properly.

Also, a minor nitpick but I suggest not having items placed right in front of switches and in mandatory passageways, this can be frustrating to waste ammo / health like that. I'm thinking of Things 243 and 244 here, among others.

Keep going, AD !

Oop, good call on the bridge, heh. Will fix!

I personally have never had any problem with unavoidable pickups but I can move a couple things around if it makes the experience a little better for others. Thank you!