Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

What is your favorite tracker if you make music on one?

What is your favorite tracker?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite tracker?

• Milkytracker
    • Fast tracker 2
    • Impulse/Schism tracker
    • Open MPT
    • Renoise
    • Sunvox
    • Buzz
    • Psycle
    • DefleMask
    • Other
    • Scream Tracker
    • FamiTracker

voted for OpenMPT. I spent more of my life using Famitracker to be honest but I think of that period as a lost opportunity where I could have been making music that didn't wage direct war on teh eardrums

I started with Impulse Tracker, then Adlib Tracker II and Famitracker. ATII is my favorite because I found it more easy to set. For modern trackers, Renoise is (and probably always will be) my main DAW. I'm using it to make a entire album, without regrets.

I've never used many trackers since I've needed access to VSTs. But I have been using Renoise for a few years now after switching from Sonar. It's definitely become my favorite DAW.

yukib1t said:

I've never used many trackers since I've needed access to VSTs. But I have been using Renoise for a few years now after switching from Sonar. It's definitely become my favorite DAW.

Open MPT, Psycle (I think), and BeRo Tracker can use VSTis

Csonicgo said:

No AdlibTracker?

Adlib Tracker is not a general tracker. It is meant for OPL3 music. I'm looking forward to make songs with the program.

I voted for DefleMask, but I also have Sunvox, Adlib Tracker, Goattracker, and Open MPT.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I use Famitracker and Goattracker, but those are not general-audio trackers. I tried to use Fasttracker at one point, but couldn't figure out the interface.

Grew up on Impulse Tracker. Schism tracker is pretty much the only thing I use these days. (Not that I've made any music in some time.) I'm too used to the interface, other programs seem too cumbersome and slow.

I've never heard of DefleMask before, I should take a look at it.

Here's a song I guess: https://soundcloud.com/68k/stasis-chant
The middle part with the synth lead is too long but other than that I was pretty happy with it.

DefleMask is a tracker designed to make music for various vintage computers and game systems including NES. SMS, GB, C64, and PC Engine (TurboGrafx)

You forgot Scream Tracker 3, that's the only one I used to any extent. Pretty easy to get into, also other people I showed it to figured it out real quick too.
There's a bunch of Adlib stuff also, like Reality Adlib Tracker. I didn't make music with it, but used their player library (or maybe 3rd party one) with Turbo Pascal (for cracktro and/or BBS intro type stuff). It was pretty simple as well.

GeckoYamori said:

FT2 won the interface wars, so I'm going with that. Plus it has Nibbles.

I didn't like that interface. Actually don't like anything that requires mouse.

Famitracker C: ...and yes this my colour layout :D

I need to stop being lazy and finish things...

JXC said:

Open MPT, Psycle (I think), and BeRo Tracker can use VSTis

I remember looking at OpenMPT and it didn't quite have what I needed in terms of features. Psycle looks cool, but it has known issues with some VSTs I use (namely Reaktor, which I use a lot, both as an instrument and for effects; Absynth; and PPG Wave). It also doesn't yet support samples in FLAC format, which is a big deal for me. I couldn't find much info on BeRo tracker, but its interface looks a bit too limited for my workflow.

I'll probably stick with Renoise since I'm very used to it, I like how it displays projects, and I already purchased it a few years ago :-P

I'm by no means a professional musician, but I like to play around with OpenMPT. Made a few tracks with it, it's pretty cool.

Want me to create a new page so Famitracker, AdlibTracker II, and Scream Tracker become options? I have trouble deleting this poll.

i've only ever used FamiTracker, and even then i've only made less than a handful of shit in it. something about the layout of a tracker just kills my work-flow when compared to a sequencer like FL Studio. i'm pretty sure that you're supposed to use MIDI keyboards with trackers to get even some remotely sane workflow into your projects.

I've been a DAW user for years but I don't know what this stuff refers to (I use FL Studio and Reason, so I'm familiar with VSTs). Can someone enlighten me?

trackers traditionally have the vertical data view where you can see pitch, octave, patch and effect data all on one line. really information dense music tools. also entering pitch data direct from the QWERTY keyboard as standard