Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Can you recommend some good Chinese movies?

I'm learning Chinese at the moment and I thought I'd watch some Chinese movies to see where I am at the moment, how much I can understand etc.

I'm still just starting so It's obvious I won't be able to understand everything. So something with English Subtitles would be necessary.

Got any suggestions?

Why don't you look up Chinese movie streaming sites. How about FluentU? FluebtU is a website that takes authentic content from YouTube, provides subtitles, and breaks down the vocabulary and grammar. Unfortunately, it's not free, but there is a trial ;).

I really liked 秋菊打官司. It's a very human movie, highly recommended. I watched it with Russian subtitles, hopefully you will be able to find English ones.

Zulk-RS said:

I'm learning Chinese at the moment and I thought I'd watch some Chinese movies to see where I am at the moment, how much I can understand etc.

If you're learning Mandarin you're probably going to get screwed by us recommending lots of movies in Cantonese from Hong Kong.

Mr. Vampire was a fun one.

Jellyman1303 said:

Kung Fu Hustle.

Awesome movie, first thing I thought of seeing this thread.

There is some Mandarin in it, but it is mostly Cantonese (iirc).

I don't know many chinese movies. Only watched these two:
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (this is a real classic!)
A Dragon On The Waterfront, aka Chinese Hercules (1973)

You should also watch Yojimbo and Seven Samurai. Those are japanese, but also real classics.

I'm a big fan of Wong Kar Wai's movies. Especially his 90s stuff, like Chungking Express & Fallen Angels (best viewed in succession) or Happy Together.

Brilliant stuff.

Also yeah, if you're learning Mandarin, you're probably gonna have a hard time. Most chinese films that got swept over to these shores are from Hong Kong, thus in Cantonese. And that stuff doesn't transfer well.

Heh, I'm finding myself having a difficult time (off the top of my head) trying to separate which movies are in Mandarin and which are in Cantonese.

Anyway, here's a short list of movies I know for certain are in Mandarin.

Dramas:
Ju Dou
Raise the Red Lantern
The Blue Kite
Farewell My Concubine
To Live
Together
Curse of the Golden Flower

Action:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Red Cliff (get the 2 disc set, as the original release is massacred... they chopped it in half!)