Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMGUY_GODMODE

Theory for new DOOM Story

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Maybe the Doom slayer escapes the monolith Sam imprisoned him in at some point, goes back to earth, settles down with a sweet christian woman, and they have a baby. This baby is the Doom guy from Doom 1/2.

I'm going with this, I am going with this 100%.

Then again, Doomguy Is so damn angry he'd probably be a wife beater.

HellVain said:

Doomguy: I wanna go on the spaceships daddy!
Doom slayer: NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY DEMONS!

If they were UAC spaceships, there would be a 50/50 chance those spaceships would spontaneously spawn demon portals or something so he would have the right idea.

In this DOOM, you're John Doom, a space marine who for some reason was In a demon coffin. The UAC was experimenting on demons for a cure... For AIDs.

Tritnew said:

But this doesn't explain why Doomguy looked at the bloody corpse and started to get extremely angry when Samuel said he was using Argent Energy and experimenting on Hell for the better good of mankind.

It was probably because this is how Argent D'Nur got invaded by demons in the first place.

I wish they had given Doomguy lines of dialogue - like they did with BJ in The New Order - rather than making him the usual silent protagonist.

And what would this character motivated by nothing but cold-hearted bloodlust that is only interested in removing demons have to say? "Kill?" It'd be entirely redundant, since he only does what he wants, and what he wants is the only thing he does. And actions speak far louder than words.

If he sounded like Samuel Hayden and was delivering lines with that cold detached rage, I could get behind him saying some stuff. But very very little.

Which is why they went the route of body language. Tossing a monitor aside, smashing a console, and punching shit in the way is all describing his singular emotion. Rage. He's really really angry.

But again, I only really like this in the context of if this is the same guy from the other games. If it's not, then, while it fits what the lore may be implying, it doesn't resonate for me as much from the perspective of a long time DOOM player.

Well, It doesn't really explain how Id would find some sort of connection with DOOM 2016 and DOOM 64. I suppose It'd make sense but since the game Is saying that Doomguy was from Argent D'Nur and It got Invaded by the demons, It sounds like they're literally retconning the whole story and telling us "No, this Is the first Incident."

It's kind of mind boggling, really. In some way It kind of bugs me that we might not be playing as the same Marine from the original series.

I haven't read through the thread yet, I'll fix that later today, but I'll throw this little thought down...

I was under the impression that this was the original Marine who decided to spawn camp Hell for eternity, while dimension hopping and murdering every demon he could get his hands on, found himself on Argent D'Nur and became best buds with the Techno demon hunter Knights, was granted demi god status by said Techno knights and then saw his new found home and buddies invaded and absorbed by Hell... He goes on another rip and tear spree and then gets trapped for an undisclosed amount of time only be to awoken by the same assholes who ruined his life the first time round.

The reason I believe he's our beloved hero from the first games is because his armor is unique compared to the Knight sentinels and clearly space marine inspired compared to techno space knight of Argent. And if I recall correctly it said he found Argent D'Nur. I could be very wrong but it seemed they set up each game with an age of Hell, the first age was Doom, second age was Doom 2 and the third age, depending on how you look at it could be Doom 3 or Doom 64.

MacBeth said:

I could be very wrong but it seemed they set up each game with an age of Hell, the first age was Doom, second age was Doom 2 and the third age, depending on how you look at it could be Doom 3 or Doom 64.

Isn't the third age of Hell said to have been ruled by something called the "Guardian"? The main boss of Hell in Doom 3 was the Guardian. I really just consider Doom 64 the end of the "classic Doom" series and not a separate continuity.

Strangely enough I feel it is Doom 3 that fits the timeline the absolute least. It feels like it would have to be shoved in there very tightly to work.

OpenMaw said:

Strangely enough I feel it is Doom 3 that fits the timeline the absolute least.

This is just because the Doom 3 story is spelled out in detail, while the preceding Doom games only have a very vague plot that can be interpreted in this way or that way.

Quasar said:

Isn't the third age of Hell said to have been ruled by something called the "Guardian"? The main boss of Hell in Doom 3 was the Guardian.

The Guardian in Doom 3 is a wild beast and doesn't really feel like a hell ruler. I think he was called the guardian simply because he guarded the Soul Cube.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I wish they had given Doomguy lines of dialogue - like they did with BJ in The New Order - rather than making him the usual silent protagonist.

I think the Doomguy has a lot of potential to have an interesting character without any dialogue. He just doesn't give a fuck about anything. I can already see him being interviewed when he returns to earth and he just grabs the video camera and smashes it to the ground. Yeah, he definitely has potential but it was sort of unrealized in this game.

If you play right through the game you'll uncover exactly who this one is. But he has no connection to any of the previous titles. At first I thought there was, since this takes place some time after Doom 3, which would explain why it seems to be that demon infestation is a regular occurrence on Mars.

Spoiler

The Doom marine here is, though it's not entirely clear, from or connected to a civilization that was attacked by and absorbed into hell. You see traces of them everywhere in hell later on. In the audio log things you find in hell, he's a mentally unstable warrior from ages ago referred to as the Doom Slayer after being the only one to survive crossing into hell. He set out to basically wipe them all out, got imbued with more power that only made him stronger and was able to absorb the life force of his enemies.
It's also hinted at that he made a deal with someone in hell who in return made him his suit. if you remember, nobody at the UAC can explain why it's so powerful or how it even works. It got the the point where hell rolled out the big guns, a Titan, which he managed to kill before being lured into a trap and having a temple brought down on him. Hell are the ones who sealed him in the sarcophagus, covering it in warnings and markings to keep demons away, because apparently they're shit scared of him and really, really don't want him getting out, much the same as that Olivia character. Samuel, it seems, knew of his importance and did his best to make sure he'd be safe should something happen on Mars. I think he was the one who originally found him. I'm not sure if the mark on his helmet was left there by the demons or if it was his from the start.

But that's basically it. So...yeah. He's not the Doom marine we all know. :p But as I said, it's likely tied to Doom 3, though I don't recall seeing any references to it myself except the fact it's set well after it.

If the Praetor suit is alien, then why does it look like it has been designed by humans? Seriously, it reminds me of a mix between Halo's Spartan armor and the suit worn by space marines in Quake 4.

I'd just say it's because it's a game and not something you really ought to be over-thinking or, most likely, because it's the Doom guy. Why not? It's big, it's green and it has the helmet. End of.

At work so I cant go too in depth right now, but I recall that the Doom marine was given the super human power by the Seraphim, which I assume were the Knight sentinels. I don't think they ever said he was part of the Knight sentinels from the beginning, I thought it was stated he found Argent during his multi dimensional demon killing spree. It would explain why he looks like a space marine and not a Techno knight, and why he has an affinity for human weaponry over a long sword.

If you look over his armor you'll find the Knight sentinel sigil painted on his helmet and right side of his torso armor, also the fact you find tablets, drawings and statues of this armor everywhere, and it was stated the traitor demon who crafted him the armor only happened after Argent and the Knight sentinels were destroyed, so it stands that he had always worn that style of armor from the beginning. The story is so absurd that you can easily assume this is the same Marine from the previous titles because he has been dimension hopping this entire time, for all we know this Doom marines earth never fully recovered from the Demon invasion and he's desperate to not see everything repeat itself.

MacBeth said:

At work so I cant go too in depth right now, but I recall that the Doom marine was given the super human power by the Seraphim, which I assume were the Knight sentinels. I don't think they ever said he was part of the Knight sentinels from the beginning, I thought it was stated he found Argent during his multi dimensional demon killing spree. It would explain why he looks like a human space marine and not a Techno knight, and why he has an affinity for human weaponry over a long sword.

If you look over his armor you'll find the Knight sentinel sigil painted on his helmet and right side of his torso armor, also the fact you find tablets, drawings and statues of this armor everywhere, and it was stated the traitor demon who crafted him the armor only happened after Argent and the Knight sentinels were destroyed, so it stands that he had always worn that style of armor from the beginning. The story is so absurd that you can easily assume this is the same Marine from the previous titles because he has been dimension hopping this entire time, for all we know this Doom marines earth never fully recovered from the Demon invasion and he's desperate to not see everything repeat itself.

That would be pretty cool.

You know what would be cool, if someone made a prequel for the original Doom.

Anyway, some folks here have theorized that the events of this game are happening after Doomguy decides to stay in Hell (Doom 64), it would be cool to see a game about what happens right after that and before he is sealed in his tomb.

Xerge said:

Anyway, some folks here have theorized that the events of this game are happening after Doomguy decides to stay in Hell (Doom 64), it would be cool what happens after that before he is sealed in his tomb.

Agreed, I'd love to have a Old Blood style expansion detailing that.