Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Returning After a Long Hiatus, Need to Catch Up

Hey everyone, I've been away for a long time and some friends talked me into picking back up the hobby, and I have a few questions.

1st.) What are the best editor options out there, these days? I started out using DeepSea and was using Doom Builder before I quit and it seemed like one (if not the) best builders at the time. Are there any other "must have" resources out now?

2nd.) What source ports are out there now? I enjoyed using DOOM 64 resources when editing and was using a resource WAD, editing in DOOM 2 using jDOOM at the time because of the advanced light object placement and a lot of stuff. I know ZDoom was always a big thing here on Doomworld, so suggestions on which source port to work with?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice, in advance. I'd be surprised if many are still here from 10 years ago when I left besides some of the mods, but it's good to be back. The last project I was working on was so many years ago I don't even know where I'd start.

1) Best editor combination is now considered to be: GZDoomBuilder (for mapping) + SLADE (for wad editing).

2) Oh there're so many ports right now. The most popular now is GZDoom, which is OpenGl version of ZDoom. For speedrunning the best is PrBoom+. But I won't bother listing other ports, there're a lots of them, really.

ChekaAgent said:

1) Best editor combination is now considered: GZDoomBuilder (for mapping) + SLADE (for wad editing).

2) Oh there're so many ports right now. The most popular now is GZDoom, which is OpenGl version of ZDoom. For speedrunning the best is PrBoom+. But I won't bother listing other ports, there're a lots of them, really.

How long have you been on hiatus anyway?

I've been away from the community and editing since about 2006-2007 so it's been close to 10 years, haha. Newdoom.com was still a thing back then :P Or well, in it's death throes, anyway.

Edit: Actually looking at my Blog I've made like one post a year since then :P But haven't actively been editing or keeping up for years.

Bloodshedder said:

Doom64EX almost single handedly rekindled my iterest in doom. Though I find myself endlessly putting off making a map for it, with no good excuses.

To echo everyone else, I think Doombuilder 2 / GZDoombuilder plus SLADE are going to cover the lion's share of any modding tasks.

Vorpal said:

Though I find myself endlessly putting off making a map for it, with no good excuses.

Setting up lighting is a massive asspain.

There's your excuse.

Grabbed D64 EX and the D64 Builder. No joke about the lighting being a bit of a pain, but it's pretty damn awesome. Getting back into the flow of things pretty quick.

I think I'll be doing all the lighting after the map is done, heh. Does anyone know how to get the door textures to work properly? What would be 128x128 textures normally are 64x64 quadrants (4 pieces) of a door. In some cases like the door across the hall, the inverse side is missing. I don't think there's a way to flip a texture on it's X axis, is there? If so I haven't found it.

Hey, your screenshots look pretty awesome. Like an entirely new game. You must of been quite the mapper back then.

Anyway, I'm new to Doom mapping myself so I'm not sure how things worked beforehand but assuming you're using GZDoom Builder have you tried: hold shift + click the texture (should select all the same textures touching each other) and Shift + A or just A while it's selected? That usually gets textures in line with one another.

If the issue being the actual texture is too small for the door size then you can forcefully expand the texture but it will get ugly. I may be way off here.

Looks good, I noticed the doo64 builder but I'v not seen anyone make maps for it, now that I think about it, I need to put this on my to do list.

Xenphire said:

Does anyone know how to get the door textures to work properly? What would be 128x128 textures normally are 64x64 quadrants (4 pieces) of a door. In some cases like the door across the hall, the inverse side is missing. I don't think there's a way to flip a texture on it's X axis, is there? If so I haven't found it.

"UV Wrap H Mirror" and "UV Wrap V Mirror" are your friends, IIRC (in the linedef properties).

Great shots, by the way. And welcome back!

Da Werecat said:

"UV Wrap H Mirror" and "UV Wrap V Mirror" are your friends, IIRC (in the linedef properties).

Great shots, by the way. And welcome back!

Doubly thanks, that did the trick!

I'll use this thread to ask any other random questions about DB64, which I'm sure I might have. I'll post some progress shots later when I have more to show, everyone. Thanks, again!