Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

So Arachnotron or Spider mastermind?

Well you guys all saw the new trailer right? At the last scenes shows a spider-like demon with a plasma gun. everyone says its a spider mastermind but as far as I remember spider masterminds dont have plsmaguns for weapons instead they have a high damage chaingun. I really hope this is an arachnotron.

To be honest, I think I'd rather have the Mastermind spitting plasma because having a bullet sponge rapidfire hitscan is annoying. The Classic version is on my list of least enjoyable Doom monsters. Even the Revanant and Archvile have avoidable fire. I don't mind having hitscanners but make them fragile like the possessed humans that can be felled with a single shotgun blast, even the Commandos if you're close enough.

Why? There were no Arachnotrons in Doom (1993) either.

its certainly the spider mastermind and not the arachnotron.

the fact that they didn't do a full reveal means they want to leave a bit of mystery behind it. suggests its a boss of some sort which a regular arachnotron would not be.

not to mention spider masterminds presence in the game has been leaked months ago while no sign of the arachnotron anywhere.

EDIT: Moved from alternate topic.

Recolored plasma is an homage to arachnatron, but I imagine it's the Mastermind. Most all DOOM monsters now deal in projectiles due to the gameplay, after all....

What WOULD have been awesome is that it's revealed that Pierce becomes the Mastermind a like what happened with Bretruger/Derelict. Her face/skin us stretched across the spider demons' face, and about a third in the battle it's shot off re ealing the brain we all know!

Than when you defeat her, an egg sac bursts, freeing the first future 'proto-arachnatrons.' Would make sooo much sense seeing how it's she who cyber-izes [super]natural critters.

"And now class, you know where spider babies come from...."

Spoiler: She does become a spider monster. Just not the Mastermind. A shame considering they had a similar concept with the Vagary that didn't really work out, IMO.

ShadesMaster said:

What WOULD have been awesome is that it's revealed that Pierce becomes the Mastermind a like what happened with Bretruger/Derelict. Her face/skin us stretched across the spider demons' face, and about a third in the battle it's shot off re ealing the brain we all know!

No, that would be cheesy, a tad too much B movie like...

Olivia Pierce shouldn't be turned into a demon at all, that would be too predictable.

HavoX said:

Why? There were no Arachnotrons in Doom (1993) either.

and there was no revenant and no mancubus and no oh wait, bad logic...this is not the reason why the guy is not there

Obviously mastermind.

Spoiler

If the leaked picture is correct, then the SM has this white textured metal armor thing all over its body with flesh showing here and there. The white textured blah blah armor thing is shown in the launch trailer.

And really, no mention of Arachnotrons anywhere, and the fact that it has pointed legs and a gun at the bottom suggests that it is the SM

The Arachnotrons, Pain Elementals and Chaingunners were never iconic to the series, as opposed to the Revenant and the Archvile . Thats why they didnt include them this time.

"Iconic" is such a loose term to use it isn't even funny. Most of the monsters people rave about in doom 2016 are the ones introduced in Doom 2. At least the doom 1 enemies don't act at all like doom 1 so they'll be more fun to fight instead of being various levels of cannon fodder!