Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

I think what we really need is some intermission...

...screens.

Now, it's probably way too late in the game to ask, and I've not seen any hint from the trailers and leaks indicating they are, but what I'm really hoping for are the DOOM 1-style intermission "you are here" screens. Even if there are not episodes per se, this still was a cool bit of eye candy that I felt paved the way to "what lies ahead", while providing a bit of need-to-know stats, a riffy tune, and keeping the layout of the land in perspective. It felt like you were conquering bases and stations and added a depth of realism & progression. Made levels feel less generic and random. And the world art was oh-so cool.

Anyone else think we'll see them return? Or highly unlikely?

I missed them in Doom 2 already. I hope they make a return!

I see loading screens as intermission screens, it would be cool to see where we're at map wise in them, It wouldn't be to hard to do really.(edit typo)

A stats screen would be nice. But a "you are here" map that shows all upcoming locations would feel too oldfashioned and also would take away the sense of adventure. As if the exact route the hero will take is predetermined from the start. It technically is, but I don't want that it feels predetermined.

Tetzlaff said:

But a "you are here" map that shows all upcoming locations would feel too oldfashioned and also would take away the sense of adventure. As if the exact route the hero will take is predetermined from the start. It technically is, but I don't want that it feels predetermined.

So, In a way, like the ROTT remake, which I don't like.

I'd like it if the intermission screen popped up while you hit the exit airlock, and then you run across the Martian surface to the next base fighting through demons and finding secrets....

That'd be cool. But eh just my two cents. ^^

Just noticed the "you are here" intermission screens were actually in the doom claymation video that Id officially funded/endorsed.

Seems there is hope!

I think they said in the SP twitch stream that there weren't screens like that between levels. I know they mentioned episodes and such but I'm fairly sure he also said something about "a screen where your score comes up" and Marty said they didn't have that. My memory is hazy though and I can't be bothered to go check the footage to verify.

Buckshot said:

Just noticed the "you are here" intermission screens were actually in the doom claymation video that Id officially funded/endorsed.

Seems there is hope!

That video also had the HUD face though, and that's not in the new game. So uh, don't get your hopes up too high. :P

AirRaid said:

That video also had the HUD face though, and that's not in the new game. So uh, don't get your hopes up too high. :P

I still think the HUD face is more subtle like Metroid Prime or something. Then again that's just my opinion, because well... the new Doom gives me a lot of Metroid Prime vibes more than anything else coming out now-a-days. Even Nintendo's new Metroid game doesn't feel like a Metroid game.

This new Doom certainly feels like Metroid Prime. :3

At least to me it does... :3

I can see the intermission screens being displayed on computer monitors that show the schematics of the Mars facility with a "You are here".

I kinda hope we get to travel between the facilities and it resembles the intermission screens from Doom layout-wise. I think it would be pretty cool. Though a real scoreboard and map intermission would be killer :D

Not intermission screens per se, but in the singlerplayer stream there were situations where a computer voice says: "Demonic Presence at unsafe levels" and when you clear the area of demons the voice says: "Demonic Presence cleared".

These gave me a nice feeling of the game acknowledging that you're actually clearing out a demon infestation in a way that is somewhat like what the classic stats screens used to do.

I admit that I would love the game to somehow reference the whole base overview with the "You are here" marker.
I remember being sorely disappointed when Doom 2 didn't have the bird's eye view of the area, because that game completely lacked the same sense of progression.

I suppose the Martian skybox that shows notable buildings (such as that tower shown in some of the trailers) in the background that you're headed towards works a little bit like that.

I think intermission screens would be a great way to encourage player to explore the levels and try to find all secrets, items, and get all kills .

I wish the intermission screen was basically you running to the next level on the Martian surface while blasting your way through demons... kinda like how I always imagined it to be play out, that and also Claycat's Doom.

MEW MEW! BLAM! XD