Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Doom or Duke Nukem 3D

I like Doom more(I'm assuming ultimate). is this a voting thing? If so you should make a poll.

I haven't finished Duke3D (I'm at E3M3), but IMO both of them have its pluses. Duke has a better weapon arsenal, but Doom has better monsters and more diverse level themes. Duke is technically superior, but Doom is more moddable (IIRC). So I guess it's all about your taste. I personally prefer Doom. I'm not much of a multiplayer person so I can't really compare them in that, though.

In its 'vanilla state'? Duke Nukem is my preference.

I can't do DOOM unless I'm playing once of the source ports; not my vanilla version on Steam that (kind of) plays on DOS Box.

it

suck

ass . . .

I'd go with Douk 3D. It's a better overall experience without mods.
The first Doom has some incredible level design but the enemy variety is too small and they behave similarly, while Doom 2 is better about the latter but the level quality ranges from mediocre to "what am I doing with my life."
Duke Nukem 3D has its issues but it never reaches the point where it actively begins torturing you like Doom 2's The Chasm and Barrels o' Fun.

I like Doom(1+2) more for their gameplay balance and variety, but I find their stock maps less appealing than DN3D's stock maps.

Regardless of gameplay, I don't like DN3D because the source is non-free...and only now are we seeing the negative impact it's causing...

MrSkeltal said:

it never reaches the point where it actively begins torturing you like Doom 2's... Barrels o' Fun.

I don't get what's so torturous about that level, it's actually a relatively easy map. It's mostly a gimmick more than anything else. Definitely not on the same level as Chasm.

For me Duke Nukem 3D is too hitscan heavy, linear, simple in level design, and filled with death traps and gimmicky mechanics that get old quickly. I also really dislike seeing all these suffering girls and especially the fact that you IIRC get rewarded for killing them. But the atmosphere in the second episode is fantastic imo. That part in E2L8 where you're riding the train silently while listening to PLASMA.MID... Just awesome.

kuchitsu said:

you IIRC get rewarded for killing them.

Not really, it typically spawns one or more monster somewhere near you.

kuchitsu said:

I also really dislike seeing all these suffering girls and especially the fact that you IIRC get rewarded for killing them

If there is a time where that's the case, I don't recall it. If anything, killing any of the women could risk causing aliens to spawn in. That's actually one aspect that I prefer about Duke 64 and Zero Hour, Nintendo's censorship made it to where, instead of being able to kill them, you were able to save them and Zero Hour even made it something of a completionist challenge since they were strategically hidden for you to find and gave you some health when you saved them. I kind of like that, it fits more into the action movie parody that Duke 3D is supposed to be.

Hmm, I vaguely remember them dropping useful pickups but maybe my brain malfunctioned. It still sucks that they are there because I can be very sensitive about such things. Don't want to see women suffering like that. :\ The Nintendo version sounds nice.

I think e2l4 has one where there's a shotgun behind it you can only get to by killing the woman, but i can't think of any others. As a kid I was always too scared to kill them in case they spawned octabrains

Also, though the suffering women thing never bothered me, I did feel pretty unsettled when DNF did the same thing. It was a lot more real, and probably one of the few times I've been slightly disturbed by a game

Haha, my edit was ninja'd by metroid

That's why I actually prefer Duke 64 in that aspect, it feels more badass and heroic to be able to save them than literally not being able to help them at all except to maybe mercy kill them. DNF just took it to a new level of disturbing and then it tried to sprinkle in forced sexual humor on top of it that just made it all the more cringe inducing.

definitely Doom. Duke Nukem 3D may be fun for a while, but although E2 has some pretty neat level-design, holy hell is it tedious because you get hit so lot. i find it funny Duke Nukem is supposed to be this appointed badass, and yet he whines like a bitch if he gets hurt too bad. :P really takes off the edge of his whole character. at least Doomguy just grunts and doesn't have to get pelted by hitscanner shit everywhere.

and don't get me started on E3. it and all of its goddamn bullshit level-design can go suck a big one. i mean Doom's not that great in comparison either, but Duke Nukem has much more tedious, unfun bullshit to go through, and all the portable meds in the world won't help with that.

MetroidJunkie said:

I don't get what's so torturous about that level, it's actually a relatively easy map. It's mostly a gimmick more than anything else. Definitely not on the same level as Chasm.

I don't find the gimmick too interesting and that part early on with all the pain elementals, lost souls and the pinky swarm is so tedious and annoying that I tend to rush through it.

It's a draw for me, because both games have satisfying weapons to use, however Duke3D has more creative enemies and they are more lively, plus the gameplay is more difficult, you die faster, while Doom has challenging gameplay, the imps are formidable foes, shotgunners can be deadly if they get a accurate shot.

Duke3D has very detailed levels with lots of secrets to find, exploration is very encouraged in Duke3D, same goes for Doom, Doom has some repetive music, whereas Duke3D has it's own music for each level, levelwise, Doom is better, Duke3D on the other hand is good too, but can be confusing, because it has switch puzzles.

Powerups and inventory items, Doom has obvious powerups, while Duke3D has some items that can be used, the portable medikit which can be a lifesaver, steroids for getting out of trouble quickly or speedrun through the maps, jetpack to access secrets and reach high areas, holoduke, distract enemies, boots, same as Doom's hazard suit and atomic health, same as soulsphere albeit giving half the health boost of Doom's.

So it's a draw indeed, both games have thier pros and cons, therefore for me, there's no better, they are simply equal.

I've flip-flopped between the two over the years as to which I like better, but from a vanilla-for-vanilla standpoint, I'm inclined to say I'd probably rather play Doom and mod Duke.

kuchitsu said:

Hmm, I vaguely remember them dropping useful pickups but maybe my brain malfunctioned. It still sucks that they are there because I can be very sensitive about such things. Don't want to see women suffering like that. :\ The Nintendo version sounds nice.

Don't shoot them then, you can't help but shoot them?

Doom2 hands down. I am a Duke fan mind you, but (vanilla) Doom2 is like crack to me, doubly so if we're talking deathmatch.

MrSkeltal said:

Doom 2 is better about the latter but the level quality ranges from mediocre to "what am I doing with my life."
Duke Nukem 3D has its issues but it never reaches the point where it actively begins torturing you like Doom 2's The Chasm and Barrels o' Fun.

I love how people view this kind of stuff differently, for me the "what am I doing with my life" kicked in in E2 of Duke where I was in some samey-looking space base area for like an hour and couldn't find some shitty hidden switch to progress. Come to think of it, I've never properly beaten Duke start to finish, but I've played each individual map quite a few times over the years, and overall I still think it's a wonderful and creative game.

I don't see how they're really that comparable. Doom is a "pure" FPS, Duke3D has a lot of interactivity with the environment. In terms of sheer fun, though, Ultimate Doom is probably more consistent.

Doom as it had more balanced combat imo. Duke's was always off. However, Duke had far more interesting levels, not so much because they resembled more realistic places (I like abstract level design, really), but the interactivity and the layouts were fun to romp through.

If it was Doom II vs. Duke Nukem 3D, then Duke Nukem 3D wins. The Ultimate Doom, on the other hand...

Overall, I'll go with Doom as a whole by a small margin. The weapons of DN3D are more interesting than Doom's. Plus, I like that we get a non-silent protagonist with some funny quotes, and the level design of cities is much better executed than in Doom. The second episode of the game is my favorite. I was a bit let down by the following ones for resembling the first one, but not as memorable. Like someone already mentioned, each level in DN3D has its own music track, some atmospheric and others louder. However, the monsters aren't as interesting or as varied as Doom II's, though the pig cop is my favorite, and the protector drone could have been added to some of the non-The Birth levels for more variety. I did get myself lost a lot in DN3D in my first playthrough, so much that I had to often YouTube how to beat a level, while no Doom games weren't that ridiculously bad. The humor wears off after a while if I do a full game playthrough. Someone also mentioned Duke's screams once he gets hit in low health levels, and yes, they are annoying.

Somethings wrong with your poll. It keeps redirecting.
They are both equally cool. But for me:UDoom, for the simplicity and varying themes.

How about the fourth option: HacX

I love the Duke, but I'll have to go with DOOM. DOOM was my first FPS, and always will be.