Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

No early Doom review copies for anyone

TheMightyHeracross said:

Everyone forgets that in consoles the game was acclaimed, and that's where the money probably is anyway. So I doubt this.

Acclaim? No, Better reception? Yes
This is pure speculation on my part, but im sure that the MP Beta reception was seen as a red flag by Bethesda about how critics could react.

Anyway, to be fair there is enough information for players to get a general idea about how the gameplay is and to form a basic opinion on the game. Both the snapmap and SP streams were full with info, not to mention there was an open MP beta.

MrDeAD1313 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous. I remember back when there wasn't YouTube to make decisions about a game being a must play or a bargain bin buy. People just went out and bought the game, liked it or didn't like it and that was that.

It's gonna be a great game. The gameplay footage was wonderful and very Doom. Relax people.

No! More more more, gimme gimme, right fucking now!

Tritnew said:

As many people said here, there's such a lack of faith here. We've seen so much gameplay already, and when they first streamed the single-player, I was hooked and I pre-ordered It right away.

Playing a game and watching someone else play isn't the same thing. For all we know they showed the game in exactly the kinda light they wanted it to while downplaying the flaws. Not saying is like that but we can't know for a fact until the game is released.

I have already pre-ordered anyway but I'm just saying...

To me I didn't really see flaws (you did say they downplayed the flaws), but literally, It looked like DOOM.

We'll have to find out when the game Is release to see If It'll feel like DOOM.

After playing the beta/alpha and seeing the videos, I think it is safe to say that this game will be good regardless. It is troublesome but I guess we will find out in a week.

DMPhobos said:

This is pure speculation on my part, but im sure that the MP Beta reception was seen as a red flag by Bethesda about how critics could react.

I think so too.

And that is why noone should ever EVER pre-order games even if are absolutely sure you'll like it! Don't do it....cos you can't be sure 100%. I will buy Doom only after competent reviews I trust, independant gameplays and doom fans detailed opinions.

I'm just speculating here, but could it be that they're not releasing review copies because they're doing some last minute changes to the multiplayer after the open beta?

We've already played the beta and have been shown handfuls of gameplay. What do we need early reviews for again?

gameragodzilla said:

I'm just speculating here, but could it be that they're not releasing review copies because they're doing some last minute changes to the multiplayer after the open beta?

Maybe not specifically the open beta, but this is actually the most logical answer. If they are still polishing something, reviewers having access to earlier depots will just muddy it up.

hardcore_gamer said:

Playing a game and watching someone else play isn't the same thing. For all we know they showed the game in exactly the kinda light they wanted it to while downplaying the flaws. Not saying is like that but we can't know for a fact until the game is released.

I have already pre-ordered anyway but I'm just saying...

I can see what you are saying, but someone who has been playing video games for many years should have the ability to see basic mechanics of a game and know if you are interested based on just watching people play even if it is in a controlled environment. Every company needs to market their product in a positive way. Consumers are pretty smart these days and know what they want. Bottomline: if you have seen all the streams and can't make a decision yourself on how the core game is going to be then you are either 8 years old, haven't played many games, or are a mindless sheep waiting for IGN.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I would almost put money on the fact that this game is gonna be a lot of fun and a really good game all around. They showed a fuckload of footage already and it looked great. A lot of positive feedback on the sp and snapmap portions. It'll be fine.

This, the only reason why the MP beta received negativity was because half the people that played it are MP elitists that are obsessed with COD or Halo. They think the game is all about multiplayer and unfortunately we're successful in spreading lies about this game.

Here's a video that sums up the stupidity of the nay sayers who judged the game unfairly. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT2c03q0DE

wheresthebeef said:

It doesn't mean anything

Every game gets sent for review before the game comes out. When a game doesn't get sent for review it's always a bad sign. Everything in doom can be replicated for the press very easily. The mulitplayer isn't an mmo it's 6v6 death match and snap map is just a simple content creator tool. While bethseda did put out an hour long video for the single player, an hour long video for snap map and a alpha/beta for the multiplayer. All 3 of these things are not as good as numerous games writers opinions on the full game that they played before it's release.

mistercow said:

Every game gets sent for review before the game comes out. When a game doesn't get sent for review it's always a bad sign. Everything in doom can be replicated for the press very easily. The mulitplayer isn't an mmo it's 6v6 death match and snap map is just a simple content creator tool. While bethseda did put out an hour long video for the single player, an hour long video for snap map and a alpha/beta for the multiplayer. All 3 of these things are not as good as numerous games writers opinions on the full game that they played before it's release.

And why is someone else's decision so important?

MrDeAD1313 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous. I remember back when there wasn't YouTube to make decisions about a game being a must play or a bargain bin buy. People just went out and bought the game, liked it or didn't like it and that was that.

It's gonna be a great game. The gameplay footage was wonderful and very Doom. Relax people.

And if people were uncertain about buying a game they had the option (and still do in today's generation) to rent games or borrow from a friend that had it so that they can decide whether they like it or not.

Edward850 said:

We've already played the beta and have been shown handfuls of gameplay. What do we need early reviews for again?
Maybe not specifically the open beta, but this is actually the most logical answer. If they are still polishing something, reviewers having access to earlier depots will just muddy it up.

Not really sure on the reviews as I usually watch some beginning walkthroughs of a game to make a general idea on how I feel about it.

Anything like the Easter eggs (or more likely just some general last minute fine tuning)?

mistercow said:

Every game gets sent for review before the game comes out.

No they Don't

mistercow said:

When a game doesn't get sent for review it's always a bad sign.

Not its not.

There's been several games that have received over 9 average scores that still didn't send out review copies or didn't allow reviews to appear until the game was officially released. On the flipside, there's been games that had reviews out several days before the release date that scored the game unfavorably.
There's multiple reasons why games may not be sent out, it isn't immediately just because the publisher is scared of the scores.
If it is that much of a worry for you, then don't buy the game until everyone else tells you that you should. Easy as that.

This reminds me of that guy who obsessively would not play anything under 4 stars on /idgames and constantly asked people at every opportunity what their opinion on a certain mapset was.

I say fuck the journalists opinions, they were quick to jump on the hate bandwagon when a few kicked up a stink over the beta.

Who gives a shit about some pompous arsholes opinion anyway, anyone remember journalist taking a dump on Alien Isolation which was actually a decent game.

Also with all the Uncharted 4 hype and battlefield \ COD teaser trailers I imagine that could put a spoke in the fire (skew a reviewers view of the game after playing \ seeing those games).

They showed plenty of the game now anyway so people should now what to expect really and form there own opinion.

Christ guys you were all hyped with the launch trailer yesterday, don't let this get you down, I stopped reading reviews when magazines became irrelevant when the internet became a thing lol.

Guest MIND

I can't believe so many of you even give these "journalists" the time of day. Fuck them and their "opinions". They're just humans giving an opinion on a beta.

I fucking loved what I saw and I'm getting the game. I don't care about what someone else thinks, it's about what I want. Not what somebody else wants to see.

MINDustry said:

I can't believe so many of you even give these "journalists" the time of day. Fuck them and their "opinions". They're just humans giving an opinion on a beta.

I fucking loved what I saw and I'm getting the game. I don't care about what someone else thinks, it's about what I want. Not what somebody else wants to see.

You have my respect :)

That being said, this is Bethesda we're talking about. Fallout 4's embargo was literally a day before release and Wolfenstein The New Order's embargo was the launch day. So it's probably business as usual for Bethesda.

The original version of E3 DOOM 4 actually looked similar to COD and battlefield but was scrapped. If this new DOOM had been like that one then the COD fans would've been right about the game playing like COD but it isn't this time and yet the idiots still call it a COD clone smh.

gameragodzilla said:

That being said, this is Bethesda we're talking about. Fallout 4's embargo was literally a day before release and Wolfenstein The New Order's embargo was the launch day. So it's probably business as usual for Bethesda.

The Fallout 4 embargo wasn't just the day before release - that was when the already-written reviews could be posted. Reviewers still got the game like a week early so they would have time to play it. Bethesda apparently isn't even letting reviewers SEE Doom 2016 until Friday - and given that it's coming out on a Friday, Bethesda knows that the reviewers are not going to be working themselves to death to get it out before Monday, since web traffic is always lower on weekends anyway.

I mean they've been super reclusive & sec retive about anything related to this game until only the past months, and it seems they only showed what they did purely out of obligation to prove it's existence, not so much because they wanted to.

The secrecy must mean something... whether it's playing it safe or preparing to shock the world, or perhaps a day one patch that adds a lot a initial pre release review would have flagged.

I doubt it has to do with poor reception.

wheresthebeef said:

There's been several games that have received over 9 average scores that still didn't send out review copies

And these games are?

or didn't allow reviews to appear until the game was officially released.

This isn't nearly the same thing as not sending out reviews copies. When a review embargo lifts for a game the same day it comes out the reviewer gets a chance to play the game, finish it and write a review for it before it comes out. When a reviewer doesn't get a code he has to play the game, finish it and write the review while the game is out to the public which in some cases could take days.

There's multiple reasons why games may not be sent out, it isn't immediately just because the publisher is scared of the scores.

There is a reason that bethseda gave to Laura Kate's company, destructoid thats totally bullshit.
"As you know DOOM is comprised of single player, multiplayer and snap map. After discussing, we believe that all 3 elements are important parts of the doom experience. As DOOM's snap map and multiplayer modes both reqiure access to a server which won't be up till launch day. Review copies will be given out on launch day."
Not only is this bullshit because bethseda let youtubers play snapmap ahead of time and let them publish videos on youtube about it. So let's imagine that what bethseda said is true. Bethseda did not send out codes for the single player and let reviewers finish the review on launch day by playing the other 2/3rds of the game. So no bethseda does not have a good excuse.

If it is that much of a worry for you, then don't buy the game until everyone else tells you that you should. Easy as that.

I've had this game preordered since march and I'm not going to refund it. I'm gonna play this game regardless. What I'm saying is spinning bethseda not letting the press play the game before launch when they don't have a pass history of this as anything but bad thing is crazy.

MrDeAD1313 said:

And why is someone else's decision so important?

It's not important. But it's better to have general reviewer opinion then what is basically pre approved marketing videos.