Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Dammit! I want a demo

Every ID release since I can remember has had a demo that someone could download and play. I want a demo! :-)
The game looks like it's going to be awesome but honestly, I think it's staying power is going to be crap.

I'm pretty sure they're playing It safe this time around, they're saving the surprises for May 13th.

Tritnew said:

I'm pretty sure they're playing It safe this time around, they're saving the surprises for May 13th.

Maybe, but if they don't make it possible for the content to stick around for DECADES, kind of like the first 2, then I have a feeling that the Doom 4 community will be deader than the Doom 3 community in about 6 months

Brad_tilf said:

Maybe, but if they don't make it possible for the content to stick around for DECADES, kind of like the first 2, then I have a feeling that the Doom 4 community will be deader than the Doom 3 community in about 6 months

Trust me, with Snapmap, It's possible It won't die, as for the Multiplayer, however, I feel that'll be deader then ever.

Tritnew said:

Trust me, with Snapmap, It's possible It won't die, as for the Multiplayer, however, I feel that'll be deader then ever.

If we ever get our own server rules, it will last at least long than Doom 3's.

Zemini said:

If we ever get our own server rules, it will last at least long than Doom 3's.

It will last way longer than Doom 3's.

Hmm, considering that the MP looks like Call of Duty (I've played Black Ops 3, In the mean time till I finally get DOOM) and both feel the same, expect DOOM Is more faster paced and frantic.

Then again, It's made by Certain Affinity.

Is It wrong of me to say I kind of enjoy the Black Ops series of COD, at least when It comes to the second and third games?

Tritnew said:

Is It wrong of me to say I kind of enjoy the Black Ops series of COD, at least when It comes to the second and third games?

Nope, the MP of the Black Ops games was actually pretty well done, for the genre. It is very much a low TTK twitch shooter, but the weapons and maps were pretty well balanced.

Having said that, I would disagree that the Doom MP "feels like" Call of Duty. It just doesn't. The TTK is way higher, there's more map control involved, and no-one is ever standing still in Doom. It's not really the same experience at all.

Well, I have stated that the MP In DOOM Is Infact, constantly fast just like the older games. What I meant by It, Is the perks mainly and how It would show the top three players at the end of the match (the best part Is where you can do a taunt, unlike In Black Ops 3). :V

Saying that, The Black Ops games are fairly decent, the rest can literally go to Hell expect the original CODs, but Black Ops... I like alot.

Anyways, back to the demo discussion; I've looked It up and saw that demos don't do the game well In reviews. And I can see why they're backing off on making a demo for DOOM. If I remember correctly, Wolfenstein: TNO didn't have a demo, and It did extremely well when It came out.

Buy it on release, play it for one hour, use your Steam refund if you're not happy. There's your demo.

Phml said:

Buy it on release, play it for one hour, use your Steam refund if you're not happy. There's your demo.

I already pre-ordered but it's not a question of whether I'll be "happy" or not. The question is - why isn't there a demo? Damn I miss the way ID Software did things.

Tritnew said:

What I meant by It, Is the perks mainly and how It would show the top three players at the end of the match (the best part Is where you can do a taunt, unlike In Black Ops 3). :V

You mean at the end of a match where it shows the top 3 players, and is in fact literally the only place you can use those taunts in Black Ops 3? that bit?

AirRaid said:

You mean at the end of a match where it shows the top 3 players, and is in fact literally the only place you can use those taunts in Black Ops 3? that bit?

Was gonna add In a line of text that said to see If my stuff was wrong and to correct It, so yes, thanks for correcting me. :V

Brad_tilf said:

I already pre-ordered but it's not a question of whether I'll be "happy" or not. The question is - why isn't there a demo? Damn I miss the way ID Software did things.

Demos have become expensive to make, even if it is just a 10 minute cut of an already completed level.
I like demos, but I understand why they died off (and basically got replaced with betas)

Chickensoup101 said:

Really? Expensive?

Expensive might have been the wrong word
Look at it this way, why spend any time or resources on a demo when you could spend it polishing the game more or making a patch?
Games themselves have become expensive to create, so it becomes an issue of sparing funds on a demo which may or may not boost sales.
Betas have become the norm, and when a company can hide the beta behind a paywall (pre order the game, or in Doom's case, pre order a different game) you could theoretically make up any funds used to create said beta.

AirRaid said:

Nope, the MP of the Black Ops games was actually pretty well done, for the genre. It is very much a low TTK twitch shooter, but the weapons and maps were pretty well balanced.

Having said that, I would disagree that the Doom MP "feels like" Call of Duty. It just doesn't. The TTK is way higher, there's more map control involved, and no-one is ever standing still in Doom. It's not really the same experience at all.

I did see a couple during the open beta stand still when firing the normal weapons or using the vortex rifle (I'm assuming they were new to a quicker paced game or something).

wheresthebeef said:

Expensive might have been the wrong word
Look at it this way, why spend any time or resources on a demo when you could spend it polishing the game more or making a patch?
Games themselves have become expensive to create, so it becomes an issue of sparing funds on a demo which may or may not boost sales.
Betas have become the norm, and when a company can hide the beta behind a paywall (pre order the game, or in Doom's case, pre order a different game) you could theoretically make up any funds used to create said beta.

Doom is level based so it won't really cost anything to make a demo. Just slice one or two of the first levels and make THAT the demo. How hard is that? It's not like Fallout or something.

Chickensoup101 said:

Really? Expensive?

actually expensive was the right word even if the guy didn't realize it. data released has shown demo's can negatively impact sales numbers. apparently lots of people buy games at full price just to see if they will like it, and a free demo does that instead for most people who don't end up loving the game.

so, demos are expensive in a way.

Moon Marin said:

actually expensive was the right word even if the guy didn't realize it. data released has shown demo's can negatively impact sales numbers. apparently lots of people buy games at full price just to see if they will like it, and a free demo does that instead for most people who don't end up loving the game.

so, demos are expensive in a way.

So they should buy it first to determine whether they like it, not save their money unless they know it isn't complete garbage? That sounds like a certain someone whose name I won't mention because that would be opening the political can of worms. I think they should have to right to see how fun the game will be or how well the game even runs on their respective systems before they plunge $60+ but maybe that's just me. Again, how hard is taking 1 or 2 levels from the full game and just making that a free download? If you honestly believe that will take up some massive amount of resources to do, you're fooling yourself.

Moon Marin didn't say that, though. He explicitely mentioned the business reasons behind such a choice.

Ethics in business matter only as long as it has an impact on your bottom line, and gaming enthusiasts have shown they are willing to take it up the ass and thank you for it when it comes to buying things blind, provided the end product works from a technical perspective.

Raging against the system won't work because the mass of consumers willingly allows this system to exist. Use loopholes instead. Never preorder, make sure of refund systems, hunt for discounted prices... Or just exerce some willpower and wait for months or even years to pay essentially nothing for the game. There are options for the savvy consumer.

This thread is TL;DR, but:
DooM 2 didn't have a demo, RAGE didn't have a demo.

Of course Doom 2 isn't going to have a demo because Doom already did and it's literally the same engine. Doom 3 and Doom both had demos because new engine, Doom 2016 should as well.

wheresthebeef said:

Hasn't research found that demos can actually reduce sales in many instances, often up to half?

XLightningStormL said:

Get a shareware demo XD

That would be perfect, really.

Gothic Box said:

Hasn't research found that demos can actually reduce sales in many instances, often up to half?

And that's exactly why they don't want to release the demo. Bethesda is greedy af and, in my opinion, evil.

Gothic Box said:

That's what I was trying to say before. :V