Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Idea: View all idgames reviews

Just an idea, since leaving an idgames review now requires an account, maybe (if possible) make it so you can view all of a users reviews as well as forum posts? I think this would be a neat way to further integrate idgames into everyday forum use as well as incentivising people to leave quality feedback.

Is this possible? Do community members see this as a worthwhile idea?

Took me some time to grasp your idea.
Yes it would be good, but it would be hard to maintain.

Heck here's some!

Gameplay was great, despite being a little tough at times. Only real complaints were the cramped design and more linear than the original is. Otherwise, this gets a 4 from me.

Glaice 4/5 (Phobos Mission Control)

Good wad but not legendary. A lot of the maps tend to drag and there are multiple hallways filled with dozens of imps which are a slog to shoot through. Some of the later maps especially can take over an hour to complete and have annoying layouts with lots of backtracking. The visuals and detailing is very nice though and none of the maps run like crap, which is always a plus. 4/5

rileymartin 4/5 (Alien Vendetta)

You really need to use your timing and physics to get through this megawad! Not for petty gaming, you need to be serious if you want to have some fun. Out of all the other wads out there, this is the first one to have such a different style instead of that "shoot demons, find keys, exit level". This is "jump over obstacles, get keys, exit level". Don't try to use the jump button!

Voros 4/5 (Arch-Vile Jump)

Good as DOOM 2 itself, both aren't perfect, both have some lame levels in them but they still maintain entertainment.

joe-ilya 4/5 (Doom 2 TWID)

You know? For the first bunch of levels, it was a looking promising megawad... But I must say, the several HOMs and some serious graphic defects crumple it, and the worst thing is the existance of single-use doors and paths, which can make you get stuck in the level. What a pity, such a detailed and fun-to-play maps, and because of those foolish errors that completely ruin it... I wish someday that someone release a patched version of KS! For now, only 3 stars. -Hexereticdoom-

Anonymous 3/5 (Kama Sutra)

Great wad with consistently fun and challenging encounters and varied map design. Also has the best looking IoS boss of all time. Awesome sequel to the original Plutonia. 5/5

rileymartin 5/5 (Plutonia 2)

A good mapset; despite some dud levels (MAP12, MAP27) it shows a good variety, and most maps look and play at least quite well. It doesn't really live up to megawads such as Memento Mori but is a solid, fun set in its own right.

JudgeDeadd 4/5 (Requiem)

Good wad with the exception of maps 28 and 30. 28 is "can you straferun for 30 seconds?" and 30 goes against Scythe's short and fun maps and gets overly long, boring and very annoying with its encounters.

rileymartin 4/5 (Scythe)

Puzzly levels with some excellent DeHacked work from a technical point of view. New monsters and weapons are a definite mixed bag but are sensibly employed making this more than just a curiosity. The obscurity of progression may put some Doomers off but persistence should earn the player a degree of intuition for these going forward.

purist 4/5 (STRAIN)

Great wad with some really clever scripting and original level design. However, the music can get monotonous and mobs of teleporting hitscanners and other demons spawning in your face can get annoying. 4/5

rileymartin 4/5 (Going Down)

A very mixed bag. The textures are obviously unpleasant, which was the point, although it doesn't stop them from bringing down the tone. Gameplay wise, the first levels get progressively better, peaking at the excellent level 10 only to go downhill after that, sometimes quite severely. You're left with an average wad that could have been saved by ending at map 10. Pity.

trrobin 3/5 (50 Shades of Graytall)

Everyone who rates this wad as pile of crap are Sergeant_Mark_IV's haters (and Terrydoomers too since they have grudge against Brutal Doom creator). This map is awesome and it gives to you a sense of nostalgy.

Anonymous 5/5 (After the Holocaust)

ITS THE ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES!!! Lol. 5/5

Voros 5/5 (Mock 2)

I sort of follow what you're saying. But I'm with Voros here. Seems complicated to create but it's a neat feature. If I find a particular reviewer that's credible then I would be more inclined to follow their reviews. Some people would even sort them out to review their wads.

Also maybe bring back the option to leave reviews. Cuz some people don't have it even when logged in. Just a suggestion...

I'm not sure I understand what your asking for. Like a link to all the persons idgames reviews at the bottom of their posts? (similar to the "blogs" page everyone has?)

Dont take this the wrong way but why do you want something like that? I'm not trying to reject the idea I just feel like there's something more to it that you haven't yet elaborated on. I personally never thought of a need for somethin like that. Have you been trying to get centralized reviews sorted by reviewer for some reason?

Everytime someone posts on forum, the entire history of every comment for any wads they made should be appended. This way their legacy follows them like a dust cloud of angry and snarky comments, a permanent reminder that one doesn't really make wads for other people to enjoy but just because it's a fun pass-time.

I think this (very rough) mock up may more clearly demonstrate what I mean:

I think it would be cool if, when you click in a user's profile, you could see their latest review and search all their reviews. I'm not even sure if its possible, just an idea!

Doomkid said:

I think this (very rough) mock up may more clearly demonstrate what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/EcTvtXs.png

I think it would be cool if, when you click in a user's profile, you could see their latest review and search all their reviews. I'm not even sure if its possible, just an idea!

Ok that would be something like the "search all posts made by this user" which should be a lot easier than a whole sub forum. It is possible... but at what cost? Only the mods can give an answer.
(Heh)

40oz said:

Dont take this the wrong way but why do you want something like that?

Some reviewers seem to have a similar taste to mine. So by looking at their reviews maybe I can decide what to play.

hex11 said:

one doesn't really make wads for other people to enjoy but just because it's a fun pass-time.

Then why would they upload them to idgames if it isn't for others to enjoy? Also some people make intentionally shitty wads to annoy people who try them.

That's just a side-effect. There's no money to be made, so the primary aim is just to have fun making something. I guess the exception is deathmatch wads, because you can actually play those in the end.

It is very different for various people. Yes, some are just playing with the editor for fun. But others are looking for a way to express themselves and they absolutely need other people to notice their works. Or they feel grateful to the community for producing lots of awesome wads and they want to give something in return. Or it can be one of the thousands other reasons.

Avoozl said:

Then why would they upload them to idgames if it isn't for others to enjoy?

i think there is a distinction to be made between incidental enjoyment and actually courting broad appeal. to me, the /idgames frontend is like an enormous art gallery with comment books. i load up a wad, maybe i like it, maybe i don't. i don't think that the person who uploaded the wad was obligated to pander to whatever entertains me. my tastes aligning with the author's is a very happy coincidence. so while i think that (most) wads uploaded to /idgames were meant for the enjoyment of others, i do not think that they were expected to please EVERY other. i would despair of having to design a level to get a thumbs-up from 10,000 different players. better i make something i had fun with and be thrilled with the people that it really resonated with.

I think it's a great idea. It could have practical application for multiple types of people:

1) Mappers who are receiving feedback through the forums. Check an individual's track record and compare it to how they've rated your map. Additionally, it would also let you search for people that you think might not be the "target audience" of your map and let them try it as well.

2) Players who want to pick wads to play can rely on other people with similar tastes or reviewers that they might think are "reliable".

3) Forum warriors, creeps, and stalkers who will reach 4 years back into /idgames reviews and quote others to cause flamewars.

4) Misc people that are just curious.

My personal feature request is that I'd like to see rich snippets added to the idgames pages so that we see a star rating in Google search results.