Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom Reborn - Doom replica on idtech4

negke said:

Doesn't appeal to me at all. While the textures themselves seem like good and faithful hi-res replacements, the problem is that like with most other "HD" versions of classic games, they don't enhance the game rather than highlight how bland and unrefined the original level geometry actually is. It works in the original game, because its pixelated low-res nature creates a comic-like look, but the more realistic the content gets, the more it requires level changes to accomodate the style/visual fidelity.

Different strokes. The point you make here has been made no less than 10 times before in previous threads regarding this project, many of us have long wanted an HD 1:1 replica and Reinchard is delivering what we (and he) wants to play :)

I believe other unrelated projects have taken the basic layouts but re-themed and re-textured them. Similar, but not 1:1, so it seems like one of those would satisfy your tastes.

negke said:

Doesn't appeal to me at all. While the textures themselves seem like good and faithful hi-res replacements, the problem is that like with most other "HD" versions of classic games, they don't enhance the game rather than highlight how bland and unrefined the original level geometry actually is. It works in the original game, because its pixelated low-res nature creates a comic-like look, but the more realistic the content gets, the more it requires level changes to accomodate the style/visual fidelity.

See thats what I don't care about, the great thing about doom as the abstract levels and how they played, The maps are about spacial reasoning and gameplay rather then visuals. I take good game play over visuals any time. I appreciate this effort, It's great that someone is working so hard on a Free mod for doom 3 that feels more like doom 2. I would rather see more levels get done on this in the vanilla fashion then to see only a few hyper detailed ones.

DoomzRules said:

To be honest I don't know...

My complaint is that he implemented the Classic chaingun but he didn't implement the Alpha shotgun which looks cooler.

Do it yourself, Drag & Drop the pk4 to the mod folder, Duh ...

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Do it yourself, Drag & Drop the pk4 to the mod folder, Duh ...

Oh it's that easy...

Never mind then. :P

The Doom pistol is as dissatisfying as the original Dooms, good work this really is close to 1:1 haha. Well except for the Imps able to leap, but I prefer that in.

The only thing I really want to see is corpses staying at death and perhaps monsters wondering around a little more.

That video looks fantastic! I like watching videos of this mod in action. This mod is the only reason I would ever consider buying Doom 3 again; it's the way I imagined and wanted Doom 3 to be back when the first whispers of it started.

Massive props for keeping it as true as possible and the few changes I've seen, like the imps jumping for example, wouldn't bother me at all. Speaking of the imps, love the look of the classic imp in 3D; I never really liked the look of the Doom 3 one.

If people complain about the maps being as close as possible to the originals then I guess the only proper response is that they can make their own maps; let's see if it comes out looking as professional as these do.

I really look forward to hearing any progress that y'all make! Keep it up!

DoomzRules said:

To be honest I don't know...

My complaint is that he implemented the Classic chaingun but he didn't implement the Alpha shotgun which looks cooler.

This E3 Alpha Shotgun Enhanced mod is compatible with many mods, including DoomReborn, ClassicDoom and DoomIIforD3 and i have added the original sounds from Alpha, enabled...:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il6jz0ad05yj1hu/zzzz_alpha_shotgun_highres_full.pk4?dl=0

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

Pretty impressed with the hud face - captured the classic Doom marine look pretty well, even if he looks strangely pleased most of the time.

i agree with the face: have you considered releasing it for classic doom sourceports? wouldn't be a bad thing to have in autoload, i'd think, and it's better than the other alternatives.

MrGlide said:

See thats what I don't care about, the great thing about doom as the abstract levels and how they played, The maps are about spacial reasoning and gameplay rather then visuals.

What's the point of this mod then?

As I say, this is replica, not remake. I'm aware of how blocky that architecture is, but this is something what I want to play.

Da Werecat said:

It's a replica of classic doom on idtech4 (the op's initial post and the title give what it is about).

Da Werecat said:

It is a replica which doesn't update the levels like those from Classic Doom 3, Instead it is a (Pretty much) accurate remake, Jeez you gotta show some appreciation .

DMGUYDZ64 used to provide pointless answers all on his own. Now he's repeating them after others. A new low?

TheMightyHeracross said:

inb4 "What Doom '16 should've been" comments.

Maybe it's what the 'classic' levels should've been. I dunno flip a few walls and we're there, right? :P

Da Werecat said:

DMGUYDZ64 used to provide pointless answers all on his own. Now he's repeating them after others. A new low?

Wow rude

Reinchard said:

...and turn off the lights

You mean turn ON the lights. Turn on so many lights that there's not a shadow to be found.

Reinchard said:

Something about recreating a 1:1 scale map in a different engine makes it feel like I'm watching a 16:9 video squished into 4:3 (I probably actually am but you get the point) due to how the different map unit scales are. It's like how the Wolf 3D maps in Doom 2 look gigantic compared to the original in Wolf 3D.

Why must every fan remake be a 1:1 recreation of the maps? What's the fun in that? Great effort regardless.

Heya I just came across the thread now, The problem the person(sorry can't remember you name) was having loading the mod on steam sounds like he was using Doom 3 BFG edition and not the original version :(

You should make the screen turn into a negative image when you pick up the invulnerability...not the white out like the original...a true negative image.