Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheWizard

Doom hitting 200 FPS @ 1080p using GTX 1080 w/ Vulkan

id.dav said:

Let me guess how many seconds did you think to come up with this incredible comment....5 seconds? Nah maximun 3!

I see. You're one of those people. Just wanted to make sure.

id.dav said:

Even with this insane shooting with almost none glory kills performed there's insane amount of ammo for every weapon all the time...never run out of ammo.

Yes, how dear you. All that from a 6 minute demonstration in the middle of the game? You're some kind of super detective. if you look closely, every weapon he switched to was full of ammo, which could easily indicate an ammo cheat..again, for demonstration purposes.

id.dav said:

Let me guess how many seconds did you think to come up with this incredible comment....5 seconds? Nah maximun 3!

Yes, I'm a quick typer. Good job! You must be Batman with your detective skills.

Use3D said:

Yes, how dear you. All that from a 6 minute demonstration in the middle of the game? You're some kind of super detective. if you look closely, every weapon he switched to was full of ammo, which could easily indicate an ammo cheat..again, for demonstration purposes.

Actually, that is plausible, as some form of God Mode like cheat was used during the e3 gameplay demo where he could take damage but it never went past I think 10 (or 20, either way it didn't get to zero).

id.dav said:

Even with this insane shooting with almost none glory kills performed there's insane amount of ammo for every weapon all the time...never run out of ammo. And here rise the same old question wich I had with Rage and abomination called doom 3 BFG....whats the point of using different weapons???....just fucking fire BFG or spam rockets or gauss. This video showed a complete illusion that we actually need different weapons to survive...NO WE DON'T! But of course how dear I point at such a big possible flaw of this game!

He ran out of Gauss ammo at the end. Needed the grenade launcher shotgun to kill the final imp

chubz said:

Skeptical till launch day! LOL

I'm sort of skeptical too, but at the same time I'm positive since the past five Doom games released have not disappointed me.

Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil were all reasonably good.

I see no reason why this one would be bad. It looks pretty awesome actually, and I think it's going to be killer on PS4 and PC! =D

Use3D said:

which could easily indicate an ammo cheat..again, for demonstration purposes.

And all other streams as well....ammo cheat? I hope you right....I really do!!!!

Or the game actually gives you plenty of ammo by design.

In the article from Gameinformer it pretty much states as much; if you have ammo for a weapon, don't be afraid to use it because there are plenty of opportunities to restock quickly.

Glory kills give ammo, chainsaw replenishes pretty much all your ammo. Ammo caps are relatively low but they refill fast. My guess is as long as you switch weapons a bit you will never run out.

That article confirms my feeling its by design, I don't think we need to invoke an "ammo cheat" to explain this.

Wether its "good" or "bad", I don't really care. Honestly Doom is not a complicated game to me, in fact its charm comes from its simplicity. Its a power trip where you get to beat back "scary" and "dangerous" demons who greatly outnumber you. Having ammo be plentiful sits to me in the same corner as having no reloading. Personally I am fine with that.

Use3D said:

He actually got dangerously close to running at at one point on all weapons it looked like, which was solved with a few chainsaw kills to restock. Still contradicts id.dav completely, either way.

redrage said:

Or the game actually gives you plenty of ammo by design.

In the article from Gameinformer it pretty much states as much; if you have ammo for a weapon, don't be afraid to use it because there are plenty of opportunities to restock quickly.

Glory kills give ammo, chainsaw replenishes pretty much all your ammo. Ammo caps are relatively low but they refill fast. My guess is as long as you switch weapons a bit you will never run out.

That article confirms my feeling its by design, I don't think we need to invoke an "ammo cheat" to explain this.

Wether its "good" or "bad", I don't really care. Honestly Doom is not a complicated game to me, in fact its charm comes from its simplicity. Its a power trip where you get to beat back "scary" and "dangerous" demons who greatly outnumber you. Having ammo be plentiful sits to me in the same corner as having no reloading. I see that working fine.

To me it depends on the weapon. Most "normal" guns are designed to be suitable for different scenarios and enemies and thus should be abundant. Power weapons like the BFG are essentially "fuck this, save me" weapons and should give low ammo to compensate for their extreme power. Seems like that's what they're doing with this design so I'm good.

Doom 3 BFG Edition's problem wasn't that you were perpetually stocked on ammo. Vanilla Doom 3 let you do that too if you knew where to look and found all the secrets. When I play Doom 3 these days, I constantly have full ammo for all my guns except maybe the BFG 9000. The problem with Doom 3 BFG was that it gave you so much ammo normally that there was no longer any incentive to explore for extra ammo, thus rendering one of the major design aspects of Vanilla Doom 3 irrelevant.

gameragodzilla said:

He ran out of Gauss ammo at the end. Needed the grenade launcher shotgun to kill the final imp

I saw! Still too many other powerfull ammo remain - rockets, BFG, cahinsaw wich replenishes everything. Still too many, those are powerfull weapons...ammunition should not be spamed for it! I'm glad that plasma and gauss share same ammo though.

id.dav said:

I saw! Still too many other powerfull ammo remain - rockets, BFG, cahinsaw wich replenishes everything. Still too many, those are powerfull weapons...ammunition should not be spamed for it! I'm glad that plasma and gauss share same ammo though.

BFG is specialized from what I saw like the chainsaw. The singleplayer stream showed that he could carry a total of three shots at once and the chainsaw didn't seem to replenish that ammo.

So the only "big" guns with plentiful ammo are rockets and the Gauss Cannon, and even those have drawbacks to balance (Gauss Cannon uses multiple plasma rounds per shot and rockets are low ammo and cause splash damage to you). Yes, ammo shouldn't be spammed, they should be switched accordingly based on the situation and it seems like Doom is doing that regarding the weapons.

I wish I wasn't computer illiterate. What does this mean? 1080p like the youtube video quality? 4k what? Vulkans are assholes.

BluePineapple72 said:

:( man I wish good PCs were cheap and easy :(

Easy, yes. Cheap... depends on your definition of cheap.

Am I the only one that thought the gameplay flowed like Perdition's Gate? Map23 specifically, just one room with two elevations that you go back and forth on, always vulnerable, and the room always replenishing with hordes of shit. Maybe Mustaine had a hand in there, or someone at id is a fan of his, or I'm drawing connections that aren't there...

id.dav said:

Even with this insane shooting with almost none glory kills performed there's insane amount of ammo for every weapon all the time...never run out of ammo. And here rise the same old question wich I had with Rage and abomination called doom 3 BFG....whats the point of using different weapons???....just fucking fire BFG or spam rockets or gauss. This video showed a complete illusion that we actually need different weapons to survive...NO WE DON'T! But of course how dear I point at such a big possible flaw of this game!

the point of using different weapons is that some are better against specific enemies than others

if you want to bash your head against the theoretical wall using only 1 weapon start to finish just because 'you never run out of ammo' then go ahead dude, you'll be missing out on the strategic niche varying weapons have vs different enemies

who cares if we dont run out of ammo for standard weapons often? jesus fuck

Finally, something to make the game look somewhat interesting.

Still not thrilled with the player twirling around in a room for minutes while swapping weapons every half second like a monkey with ADHD who stumbled into a deathmatch. Here's hoping this is the demo guy being bad at the game rather than the game being bad, but all the footage seen so far being exclusively noisy arena design doesn't inspire much confidence. Fingers crossed... I guess.

BluePineapple72 said:

:( man I wish good PCs were cheap and easy :(

The trick is to get a NewEgg credit card provided you have a job and are responsible financially, then you'll never have to worry about money for upgrading/building again.

My 960 handled the multiplayer beta well enough even while recording with OBS. Though it was at 720p and who knows how much more taxing the campaign will be.

Zemini said:

I wish I wasn't computer illiterate. What does this mean? 1080p like the youtube video quality? 4k what? Vulkans are assholes.

lol. 1080 is 1080, but youtube still has shit compression so it will look much nicer than that. vulcan is an api like direct 3d, open gl, google it. 4k is greater than 1080p, you know 720p<1080p<4k

Zemini said:

Basically 1080p stands for the screen resolution of 1920x1080 pixels; Vulkan is a new Application Programing Interface developed to interact with video cards and allow for game engines to squeeze the most juice out of GPUs, it's supposed to be a HUGE leap in visual quality and performance when compared to DX11; 4K usually stands for the 4K UHD resolution, of 3840x2160 pixels.

The gameplay in this video looks better than anything they have shown off as official parts of their marketing.

Friday's going to be an interesting day.

chubz said:

We'll see when the game comes out this Friday, I guess. There's been an awful lot of gameplay footage released on sites like IGN and Gamespot, though, and skimming through those videos, the speed isn't even half as fast as what we're seeing here.

Consoles bubba. They should've released that footage at least once for PCMasterRace

The other major thing I can see is that in this footage he was either always sprinting, or actually had the always run option turned on. Most of the other footage, they are walking about half the time so it looks way slower.