Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

New nVidia graphics cards Hype

Wait so the gtx 1070 will out perform a titan for only $400? This is crazy especially since my gtx 970 cost $500

Is it made of wood or real this time?

Anyway, too bad the cooling systems of all manufacturers will probably suck ass as always.

boris said:

Is it made of wood or real this time?

Anyway, too bad the cooling systems of all manufacturers will probably suck ass as always.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure; Nvidia have said that they're supposed to come standard with "vapor chamber cooling," which...admittedly I don't know enough about to really say for sure, but the fact that they're at least mentioning it probably means they've paid more attention to the heat problem than they did back in the 7000-series.

Reminds me of the good old days when top-of-the-line cards were expensive, but not nearly as expensive as what a Titan costs. I don't know how or when prices went through the roof, but it's nice to see them come back down.

DoomUK said:

Reminds me of the good old days when top-of-the-line cards were expensive, but not nearly as expensive as what a Titan costs. I don't know how or when prices went through the roof, but it's nice to see them come back down.

I wouldn't be surprised a major part was supplier inflation for maximum profit. However Nvidia saw a gradual drop in their sales and accepted accepting lower margins.

DoomUK said:

Reminds me of the good old days when top-of-the-line cards were expensive, but not nearly as expensive as what a Titan costs.

I think it's more that the high-end cards have exorbitant power and cost. The vast majority of players don't need high high-end cards, but low high-end or high mid-range cards (if that makes any sense).

For example a Voodoo 1 did cost something like 500 DM when it came out. Inflation-adjusted that be around 340 Euro today. Pretty close to what a GTX 970 or R9 390 costs.

I'm getting one of those as soon as possible. Preferably 1080 unless its price in Poland ends up being completely ridiculous.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

My GTX 980 cost $600 when it was new like a year-point-five ago, now a $400 card will outperform it? God damn

Anyone not paying attention to the Doom'16 forum might not have seen that they demoed the game on the GTX1080. It sits pretty comfortably at 120fps+ and hits 200FPS a couple of times.

Guess I know what my next PC build will have. Because I just installed my new 970 less than a fucking week ago.

Hellbent said:

I'm not even a gamer and I'm seriously thinking about buying the 1070.

Why even bother if you're not going to use the power of the 1070 for something?

dethtoll said:

Guess I know what my next PC build will have. Because I just installed my new 970 less than a fucking week ago.

You could always try RMAing it. In the past I've bought components that I ended up not needing for one reason or another, and I was able to get a refund. I would never abuse the system, but shit happens, and I think vendors know this.

On the other hand, the 970 is still a fine card. If it does everything you need it to do then who cares?

It's also literally half the price. I'm good for now. I bought it for Doom and it's too late to swap it out in time.

The timing of that couldn't have been worse for DOOM fans. People have either already bought 970+ cards and regret it because there's a new generation coming and others like me have to wait x number of weeks/months before playing the damn game at all.

The timing of this means I'll have to wait a while longer before I can play Doom 2016 and then I'll have to make a supreme effort to avoid spoilers.

Oh well, I've waited a little over a year for this game already. A month or so extra won't kill me.

I'm still confident of my EVGA GTX 960 FTW. Card's heavily overclocked out of the box, so it should hopefully run Doom 2016 pretty well...

Hellbent said:

I'm not even a gamer and I'm seriously thinking about buying the 1070.

If you're not a gamer, then the 1070 is not the card for you. Sure, you could get it and future-proof your PC, but still... :\

EDIT: Goddamnit I HATE editing my posts >_<

Figures this would happen RIGHT when I'm in a position to upgrade. Guess I'll be buying a videocard that's going to be obsolete in a few of weeks.

inb4 fire jokes

I recently bought a R9 390 and I'm not worried. It'll be years before anything in development takes advantage of the card's power anyway

Glaice said:

Why even bother if you're not going to use the power of the 1070 for something?

Because it will enable me to and I'm a sucker for value and efficiency.

dsm said:

The timing of this means I'll have to wait a while longer before I can play Doom 2016 and then I'll have to make a supreme effort to avoid spoilers.

I hear ya. I'll be staying away from all the news sites and the DOOM4 section of DW starting Friday.

Anyone else getting the infamous KERNAL SECURITY CHECK blue screen of death? tied to NVidia drivers being incompatible with Windows 10. The amount of times it has eradicated the doom map I'd been working on is starting to irritate me...

So is there anyone who has already bought one of those? For me it turned out I'm pretty much screwed with the prices because Poland is a fucking piece of shit. With the $1 = 4zl ratio, the $700 FE should have been 2800zl while the $600 MSRP - 2400zl. That's not even close. Turns out they'll be 3600zl / 3100zl respectively - that's $900 / $775. How awesome is that?