Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

SnapMap: Hell theme?

Has it been stated in any of the recent leaks/footage whether or not there will be different themes/skins to use in SnapMap?

I was just wondering if we'll be able to use Hellish themes similar to the Infernal map in the beta, or if we'll be restricted to the same tech base-like areas we've already seen in SnapMap.

I would imagine that the hell theme would be included in SnapMap, I don't see any reason as to why not. I don't recall any official statement saying that it wont be included. But I haven't been paying too much attention to news about SnapMap lately, my main interest is about the campaign. But I think it would be great to see how creative people can get and see what kind of twisted hellmaps they can come up with.

I also hope for Hell-themed SnapMap settings. I think using Tech/Base-themed maps and set pieces will get stale relatively quickly.

chubz said:

Has it been stated in any of the recent leaks/footage whether or not there will be different themes/skins to use in SnapMap?

I was just wondering if we'll be able to use Hellish themes similar to the Infernal map in the beta, or if we'll be restricted to the same tech base-like areas we've already seen in SnapMap.

The problem I see here is not the lack of those, but how can one connect 2 completely different themed areas...like uac tech base is 1 room and next is suddenly a part of hell. I mean the fusion of hell and UAC was always part of doom maps.....unless of course there is UAC/Hell blending prefabs.

id.dav said:

The problem I see here is not the lack of those, but how can one connect 2 completely different themed areas...like uac tech base is 1 room and next is suddenly a part of hell. I mean the fusion of hell and UAC was always part of doom maps.....unless of course there is UAC/Hell blending prefabs.

I would expect those types of prefabs would be ones where hell is slowly/has by some amount started morphing the area (maybe the meaty looking growth areas seen in the sp stream).

id.dav said:

The way I pictured it was having the entire map be a certain theme, that way you wouldn't need separate room pieces for each and every one. In other words, the room pieces would always be the same shape, but they'd change in appearance based on the theme. Mario Maker does something very similar when switching games/themes.

chubz said:

The way I pictured it was having the entire map be a certain theme, that way you wouldn't need separate room pieces for each and every one. In other words, the room pieces would always be the same shape, but they'd change in appearance based on the theme. Mario Maker does something very similar when switching games/themes.

So basically Doom Maker? Sweet! =D

chubz said:

That reminds me greatly of Timesplitters, multiple types of prefabs that change visually depending on the theme. But if that is the case, then I guess you wouldn't be able to have a base that transitions into a ruins like area.

id.dav said:

I could be wrong but I don't think it's like Doom 3 where Hell is fused with the UAC bases. I think you actually teleport to hell completely. So that could solve it. It's cheap but I guess it works.

I'd also like to see some outdoor base sections, like maybe with rust red ground. Similar to how you could go outside on Classic Doom. Be kind of hard to truly replicate the feel without them. Even Doom 3 let you go outside briefly.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'd also like to see some outdoor base sections, like maybe with rust red ground. Similar to how you could go outside on Classic Doom. Be kind of hard to truly replicate the feel without them. Even Doom 3 let you go outside briefly.

This was already seen in the Berserk Mode footage. If you look, you can see that it's kinda reddish-orange sand, and you can see the mountains off in the distance as a sorta homage to the original Episode 1 sky. It's pretty cool actually, awe-inspiring even, and it really reminds me of Classic Doom.

That being said I'll show you the damn footage lol. Words just don't do it justice!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Assuming that can be added into SnapMap, it could provide some good variety as opposed to just base segments. It would even make it easier to remake Classic Doom levels.

They already confirmed no outdoor segments for snapmap. That might have changed since the Gameinformer interviews, but the last time it was brought up in the media, it was a definite no.

I thought they also actually confirmed different tilesets/environments for snapmap too, but I can't find where it was said.

i wouldn't be surprised to see some outdoor 'premades' eventually make their way in. i haven't seen any windows or anything like that in the snap map levels yet so im sure it would be easy to create the skybox to match the premade and should mesh cleanly with the indoor snapmap segments.

might be a future update.

I have high hopes to be able to make hell maps considering Doom 3 kinda lacked in that department. Considering in the new SP demo of the titan realm, The auto-map is shown for hell and it looks like the same structure of the snap map. Here's to hoping. Also hope I can put cyber demons in my maps, Seems very anti climatic if only basic demonic troops can be placed.

I'd imagine they'd have outdoor segments for SnapMap either at launch or later on.

I feel they probably have them, they just want to surprise people. =)

Then again I am being rather optimistic. They might release it as FREE DLC, or you might have to unlock it as a prefab similar to Mario Maker. Who knows? Nobody really knows since they aren't handing out free review copies ya know...

It'd be nice if they allowed you to use classic textures also....

Kinda like how in Mario Maker you can switch between the original Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros. styles.

It'd be neat IMHO.

Anyway, I just hope that we get to place small little details like a heart on an altar or blood dripping from the walls, stuff like that.

My predictions:

- Hell theme as DLC
- No outdoor segments ever (their choice to go with prefabs makes this a guarantee)*
- No mixing of themes in a single map

I.e you get to choose either a "UAC" or a "Hell" theme for your snapmap and get a choice of modules and props accordingly. Remember this is for consoles; the interface has to remain simple, same for the set of available choices.

*Also, outdoor area's are expensive to make and unique. I.e. its very hard to create a general outside area that is not immediately recognizable. Bland hallways are a little more forgiving in that aspect.

It's a real shame there are no outdoor areas, PC could easily handle it, but the console crowd needs constant pandering or else they take their "business" elsewhere, so, in order to keep the maps interchangeable between platforms, outdoor areas had to be left out.

victorboris1 said:

It's a real shame there are no outdoor areas, PC could easily handle it, but the console crowd needs constant pandering or else they take their "business" elsewhere, so, in order to keep the maps interchangeable between platforms, outdoor areas had to be left out.

The Xbox One could probably handle it...

Probably the underpowered Playstation 4 lol.

Anyway, I'm getting an Xbox One pretty soon. Why? Halo: MCC.... Halo is good. And quite frankly, I heard Xbox One is number one for First-Person Shooters and that Playstation is number one for Third-Person shooters.

I prefer First-Person.

You do realize the Xbox is bogged down by bloatware from back when it was pushing to be a multimedia device and that its version of Doom tends to dynamically scale to a lower resolution than the PS4's far more often, right?

Jaxxoon R said:

You do realize the Xbox is bogged down by bloatware from back when it was pushing to be a multimedia device and that its version of Doom tends to dynamically scale to a lower resolution than the PS4's far more often, right?

True. But the newer models don't have that issue from what I've heard. It's only the VERY EARLY models that have that issue.

Ever since Phil Spencer took over, they redirected the Xbox towards being a gaming console with even better specs than the PS4.

Besides.... I don't really care. Xbox has Halo and Doom. That's all that matters to me lol. Who needs Uncharted when I can be playing as space marines killing aliens and demons? =D

Hey you should get Halo 5 too, it's really good after they patched it and added a whole bunch of stuff

Hell, you may also be able to play doom with me MrDead and MrInternational

BluePineapple72 said:

Yessir. I'll be playing on steam as well :)

I personally only have had an issue with the interface on the Xbox One. I had a ps4 and actually traded it for a Wii U for my daughter and myself and picked up an Xbox later to join my friends again. Other than that, the graphical differences are so ridiculously minute that it shouldn't really sway people into buying a ps4 over the Xbox One imho. Don't let people try to talk you out of it if it starts happening. It's a great system. I use it more than I used my ps4. I do miss it sometimes but mostly for the cool indie games. Hopefully we see you on Doom in Xbox :D We have a lot of fun when we play Doom together in party chats man

BluePineapple72 said:

Hey you should get Halo 5 too, it's really good after they patched it and added a whole bunch of stuff

I'm getting an Xbox One with Halo 5, Halo: Master Chief Collection, and Doom! :D

So yeah I'll hit you guys up for some co-op. Just add me on Xbox Live. My gamertag is Hal0guy777. I'm not online at the moment, but when I get an Xbox One again (after I sell my Wii U for one) I'll be back on! Trust me! ;)

You, me, MrDead, and MrInternational can all play Doom and Halo together! :D

It'll be like the good ol' days! :D

I'm really happy! 343 Industries FIXED Halo 5! And I've matured enough that I can forgive the lackluster single-player... I mean maybe it's just a teaser for Halo 6's story right? :3