Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

SnapMap: Hell theme?

DoomzRules said:

I'm getting an Xbox One with Halo 5, Halo: Master Chief Collection, and Doom! :D

So yeah I'll hit you guys up for some co-op. Just add me on Xbox Live. My gamertag is Hal0guy777. I'm not online at the moment, but when I get an Xbox One again (after I sell my Wii U for one) I'll be back on! Trust me! ;)

You, me, MrDead, and MrInternational can all play Doom and Halo together! :D

It'll be like the good ol' days! :D

I'm really happy! 343 Industries FIXED Halo 5! And I've matured enough that I can forgive the lackluster single-player... I mean maybe it's just a teaser for Halo 6's story right? :3

They really did overhype the SP for Halo 5 (watched a walkthrough of it and was disappoint at how underwhelming it was compared to the hype they tried giving it).

What did they fix with it aside from adding forge mode to it?

Also on the subjects of the hell theme, even if it wasn't there from the beginning they would likely add it with probably one of their free updates/improvements to SnapMap.

LittleBurger said:

They really did overhype the SP for Halo 5 (watched a walkthrough of it and was disappoint at how underwhelming it was compared to the hype they tried giving it).

What did they fix with it aside from adding forge mode to it?

Also on the subjects of the hell theme, even if it wasn't there from the beginning they would likely add it with probably one of their free updates/improvements to SnapMap.

Well they fixed a lot of stuff! They added in Grifball, Infection, added a proper matchmaking setup (Focused, Balanced, or Fast), they added in primary, secondary, and tertiary colours for the armor customization. They added in vertical and horizontal sensitivity. They added in the Halo 1 Pistol and the Halo 2 Battle Rifle, they also added in the Brute Plasma Rifle, Jorge's Chaingun, a bunch of cool armor, the Gravity Hammer, a lot of really awesome stuff!

I can't even begin to describe how awesome it is!

I think SnapMap might have Hell and outdoor prefabs you just have to unlock them ala Mario Maker.

Yeah I think hell themed snapmap levels would be cool too

Spoiler

I also wish we had classic weapons in snapmap like how halo 5 has classic weapons in it :P

BluePineapple72 said:

Yeah I think hell themed snapmap levels would be cool too

Spoiler

I also wish we had classic weapons in snapmap like how halo 5 has classic weapons in it :P

Fully 3d models of the older ones, or sprite based weapons? Either one I would likely find interesting.

victorboris1 said:

It's a real shame there are no outdoor areas, PC could easily handle it, but the console crowd needs constant pandering or else they take their "business" elsewhere, so, in order to keep the maps interchangeable between platforms, outdoor areas had to be left out.

I'm pretty it's because it would look really weird to place an outdoor area and a tall area right next to each other. You look over the outdoor area's boundaries and see nothing, but when you go back inside you find that the base is literally far taller on the inside than it is outside.

Arctangent said:

I'm pretty it's because it would look really weird to place an outdoor area and a tall area right next to each other. You look over the outdoor area's boundaries and see nothing, but when you go back inside you find that the base is literally far taller on the inside than it is outside.

Hmm, that's actually a very good point.

victorboris1 said:

Hmm, that's actually a very good point.

Though I don't see why they couldn't have some prefab outside wall settings you couldn't tweak though.

I feel like the folks complaining about a lack of outdoor areas are not taking the time to consider how difficult it would be for that to work, geometrically and architecturally speaking.

GoatLord said:

I feel like the folks complaining about a lack of outdoor areas are not taking the time to consider how difficult it would be for that to work, geometrically and architecturally speaking.

It would work well enough with simple courtyards with some rock decoration at the sides.

GoatLord said:

A skybox? They're prefab locations, it's not like SnapMap allows you to build each wall by hand.

MetroidJunkie said:

A skybox? They're prefab locations, it's not like SnapMap allows you to build each wall by hand.

Fact is it'd be dead simple and there is no technological reason for it that I, as a game programmer, can think of. It's only easier for them to not add it in as an option, and keep certain things reserved to what I am certain will end up being a series of official DLC maps/expansion campaigns for this game. If users could make levels as fully featured as Bethesda, then it would wreck those plans. And with a campaign stated to last only 12 hours, I guarantee you there will be at least one DLC expansion.

An outdoor area like this should be easy to implement into a modular system:

It's basicly just a room with a skybox on top and outdoor lighting.

MetroidJunkie said:

They could even go the Timesplitters route and have the sky visible only on the top most floor (or the equivalent of that in SnapMap).

Tetzlaff said:

An outdoor area like this should be easy to implement into a modular system:
http://lvlworld.com/levels/mrcq3t6/mrcq3t6lg.jpg
It's basicly just a room with a skybox on top and outdoor lighting.

That's essentially how outdoor areas are handled in Classic Doom. Just a skybox on top and (generally speaking) maxed out lighting. Of course, outdoor areas also tend to look bigger because they're not constrained but, in the end, it's just different textures.

Hang on, so we're in 2016 and they still haven't fixed the issue of building realistic outdoor spaces in Doom? This really is a tribute to the original game :P

I'd be totally fine with paying for additional snap map content, with a couple of conditions:

1 - the amount and quality of the content justifies the price
And
2 - the new content doesn't separate the community somehow

Number 2 would be tough for them to achieve, not sure what DLC model would work.

Didn't they say they would be providing extra content in the form of updates for free in the stream? Seems like it would be a d-move to back out on that and charge people for it.

Anyone tried SnapMap can you tell us if there's different prefabs themes (Hell, Mars ... etc) ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Anyone tried SnapMap can you tell us if there's different prefabs themes (Hell, Mars ... etc) ?

Sort of want to know too, also if it is stuck more of being like the TimeSplitters mapmaker with a 'one theme at a time' thing (I sort of wonder if any subtheme like prefabs will be added at some point if it is stuck with only one theme).

I toyed around with Snapmap a bit and it seems like it's all techbases. It also carries over that awful 2 weapon limit from multiplayer.

MrSkeltal said:

I toyed around with Snapmap a bit and it seems like it's all techbases. It also carries over that awful 2 weapon limit from multiplayer.

Can confirm everything this gentleman said. :( (i expected the theme but 2w limit..)

redrage said:

Can confirm everything this gentleman said. :( (i expected the theme but 2w limit..)

Sort of expected that to happen, what with how you can play multiplayer on them. Though sort of weird there isn't an option that can get toggled when you are playing more sp style snapmap maps.