Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

If SnapMap Sucks

Guest MIND

IF SnapMap really sucks and isn't as in depth as the original DOOM editors I will either just make maps for UT4 or wait until they release better tools for DOOM 4 editing.

Who wants to see a really good snap map with loads of extra tools to customize the game however you like it?

MINDustry said:

IF SnapMap really sucks and isn't as in depth as the original DOOM editors

Of course it isn't as good as original Doom editors.

Just look at it.

Point of Making SnapMap is Facilitating Map Making and maintain cross-platform compatibility, i personally don't want to use a Hard to learn map editing tool like Radiant .

Guest MIND
AnonimVio said:

Just look at it.

It looks fine to me from what I've seen.

Snapmap is more focused on creating gametypes than actual map structures. I think you're all looking at this wrong. Obviously creating a traditional map from scratch is impossible with snapmap, but you can still lay shit out in interesting ways and make some really cool gametypes.

You never know, if it becomes really popular and the demand is there, that's where the replay value is, and if they do give a shit, they'll expand off it.

It's possible to change rooms fog color, lighting color, And even add smoke in some areas of your map, this is certainly gonna help making cool looking maps .

MINDustry said:

IF SnapMap really sucks and isn't as in depth as the original DOOM editors I will either just make maps for UT4 or wait until they release better tools for DOOM 4 editing.

Why don't you just do both? If snap map is only as deep as we've seen, there will still be fun co-op experiences and survival fun. I'm not worried. As for as in depth as Doombuilder? Good luck, they can only have so many different types of objects for rooms and that they're made of. also there is always Doom1/2, it's not like its going anywhere.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Point of Making SnapMap is Facilitating Map Making and maintain cross-platform compatibility, i personally don't want to use a Hard to learn map editing tool like Radiant .

It's not hard to use! Even SnapMap comes with tutorials..cos there's deep stuff you still need to understand. So imagine idStudio with deep tutorial - piece of cake, trust me!

id.dav said:

It's not hard to use! Even SnapMap comes with tutorials..cos there's deep stuff you still need to understand. So imagine idStudio with deep tutorial - piece of cake, trust me!

Show me three impressive, creative things created by the community, with id Studio.
By that I mean, like a really good map, or a new monster with full AI, or stuff like that.
They have to be finished, though, so no "work in progress".

tuo said:

Show me three impressive, creative things created by the community, with id Studio.
By that I mean, like a really good map, or a new monster with full AI, or stuff like that.
They have to be finished, though, so no "work in progress".

I can take responsibility only for my work created in idStudio and all of those made for Rage to be played in Campaign.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebalance-mod-ultimate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp6whMCbWpA

Rage doesn't exactly have a huge community behind it, anyway. I imagine an idStudio for Doom 2016 would garner far more attention.

TheWizard said:

I wonder if the rage editor would work with doom

idStudio has nothing to do with the game itself! It's different entity. Rage is not required to work with idStudio, same is with Doom.

The only thing I'm worried about is limits. You can only put x amount of monsters or y amount of pieces. I dont know or have heard anything mentioned about it but I remember getting so pissed at the Tony hawk pro skater create-a-park editors when you could only use so many prefabricated pieces, like as if you had a budget and had to make your dream park within a reasonable amount of constraints instead of, you know, doing whatever you want.

AnonimVio said:

Just look at it.

The original Doom editors weren't official.

They were hacked on.

40oz said:

The only thing I'm worried about is limits. You can only put x amount of monsters or y amount of pieces.

Because of the cross compatibility crap, this is highly likely. Maybe there will be some maps that the consoles simply won't be able to play in their own section, honestly I doubt it. I'm not holding out on snapmap, it may be a fun diversion, but it won't compare to what we're used to. It sounds like a Doom Lego set.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

If you have experience with any proper level editing dev tool. It wont be too hard to get into a new one. I doubt anything good will be made with snapmap. The reason why dev tools are so sophisticated is, so you can create mind blowing stuff without limitations. Wich in the end, will keep games alive. However game companies can't profit from that, so I'm not suprised. We gonna have to buy the DLC's for Doom 4 :) or maybe buy Doom 5.

Damn...I miss the days of hope in regard to snapmap. Now all hope is gone...it just sucks.

TraceOfSpades said:

Damn...I miss the days of hope in regard to snapmap. Now all hope is gone...it just sucks.

I'm still in disbelief that they released SnapMap without a Hell theme.

Well it sucked. What do we do about it? Seems there isn't enough interest too do anything about it.

I'm hoping for a large expansion on space. For now my most desired change is to simply give me more Network capacity to work with. I've hit 99% on two maps and they are only about half the size I wanted them to be.

Since they can only be so big I'm forced to ramp the difficulty up earlier than I wanted and I can't have too many optional side routes unless I leave most of the room empty and not life-like.

I want my maps to feel like actual facilities people might have been in.

AnonimVio said:

Just look at it.

Other than being able to build your own physical rooms this snapmaps does way more than Doom builder ever did. Talent lies in what you can do with the limited resources you have, not having unlimited resources.

Officer D said:

If you have experience with any proper level editing dev tool. It wont be too hard to get into a new one. I doubt anything good will be made with snapmap. The reason why dev tools are so sophisticated is, so you can create mind blowing stuff without limitations. Wich in the end, will keep games alive. However game companies can't profit from that, so I'm not suprised. We gonna have to buy the DLC's for Doom 4 :) or maybe buy Doom 5.

Except for the part where id/Bethesda said they will keep adding content to snapmaps free of charge. And to say nothing good is coming out of it is a lie. Ive played and made some solid campaign levels. All snapmaps does is weed out the unimaginative from the people who know what they are doing.

chubz said:

I'm still in disbelief that they released SnapMap without a Hell theme.

t\They are adding more content free of charge. I believe they wanted to see how much steam it picked up before dumping alot of resources into it.

40oz said:

The only thing I'm worried about is limits. You can only put x amount of monsters or y amount of pieces. I dont know or have heard anything mentioned about it but I remember getting so pissed at the Tony hawk pro skater create-a-park editors when you could only use so many prefabricated pieces, like as if you had a budget and had to make your dream park within a reasonable amount of constraints instead of, you know, doing whatever you want.

You can only have 12 SPAWNED monsters at a time. If you know what you are doing with waves and ai conductors you can make it seem like an army is coming after you. For instance I run an AI survival conductor of 4-6 demons under a group wave or boss wave. I have the conductor set to 1 second respawn so once you kill one another spawns within a second. Work arounds people, youre giving up to easily.

HALFRATS PS4 said:

Other than being able to build your own physical rooms this snapmaps does way more than Doom builder ever did. Talent lies in what you can do with the limited resources you have, not having unlimited resources.

I don't know about that, man. With GZDoom Builder and ACS scripting, you can arguably accomplish way more than you ever could with SnapMap.

True, I was speaking core doom. Snapmaps is pretty impressive for plug and play. Baby steps man, snapmaps 6 years from now will be better. I'm impressed with the way Bethesda is figuring out ways to streamline content creation and moding. It can only get better.