Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cas1

E1m8c - a study of Romero's E1M8b

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Just play the original map and ignore the butchered version of someone who 1) doesn't understand that jumping is not a concern for a mapper of a limit-removing map 2) converts an awesome map that Romero himself created to UDMF and adds ZDoomisms to it 3) slaps an HD tecture pack and music as an optional download, as if they improve the map itself 4) names this edited map E1M8c and 5) tries to deliver a mapping lesson based on his "analysis by me and my map testers"

*barf*

I'd like to play it for myself if that's not an unreasonable request. There are probably other's who may want to check it out as well in the future.

Dudes how would you all feel if a few assholes necrobumped one of your old maps to talk shit about it and say how glad they were it can't be downloaded anymore? We were all newbs once, no? You don't have to be an ass. 

If my first released map couldn't be downloaded anymore and someone necrobumped the thread to ask for it, I'd say I was glad it's gone myself.

I'm already interested in the basic premise of this map. Going 'that was pretty good but I thought it could use these touches' isn't really that insane anyway? I'd hate to see what you guys think about Doom 64 For Doom II or the Maps of Chaos maps...or maybe those ones don't count because they're vanilla compatible which makes them automatically good, I guess.

I for one think some of the changes listed sound kind of interesting, and if it just has really shit execution I'd at least like to try it for myself instead of bum cigarettes off some random people dancing on its grave.

yeah how dare you want to play a map that some people didn't like, shame on you EtherBot. how could you???

3 hours ago, Cynical said:

My guess is it's lost forever, something that we're all better off for.

"I don't like this map therefor its should not and Never ever exist anymore" 

yep this is a very healthy way to go about interacting with the community.

5 hours ago, meapineapple said:

Dudes how would you all feel if a few assholes necrobumped one of your old maps to talk shit about it and say how glad they were it can't be downloaded anymore? We were all newbs once, no? You don't have to be an ass. 

This isn't a "my first map" thread. The opposite, it's a "hold me beer while I improve a legend's overrated map"

12 hours ago, VGA said:

This isn't a "my first map" thread. The opposite, it's a "hold me beer while I improve a legend's overrated map"

On 5/9/2016 at 12:20 PM, cas1 said:

My impression of E1M8b is favourable, and I must say that it has a lasting quality, it grows on you. Still I felt it was not reaching it's potential.

23 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

I don't see how that calls e1m8b 'overrated' lol

I meant the thread in general Ether.

Moving on,
E1M8b is indeed overrated to an extent, I can understand people's love for being made by the man. But remove Romero, and you're left with a pretty standard "neo-plutonia challenge wad, but it's actually UDoom!" that replaces E1M8. In fact had someone else made this (and identically) instead of him, people would either ignore, or be calling for blood because it replaces E1M8, and when remake a level from the original games, or hell even minorly update it, and chuck it into ZDoom, they want to cut your balls off, and send you to gulag for "trudging on holy soil"

Sweet mother Mary, get ahold of yourselves, and let people make what they want instead of making pointless controversy (yeah I know this sounds hypocritical lmao, but this isn't bait, far as I'm concerned that shit is over and done, and I don't wanna talk about it) over crap no-one cares about.

All's I'm saying, crucify me all you guys want.

4 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

I meant the thread in general Ether.

Moving on,
E1M8b is indeed overrated to an extent, I can understand people's love for being made by the man. But remove Romero, and you're left with a pretty standard "neo-plutonia challenge wad, but it's actually UDoom!" that replaces E1M8. In fact had someone else made this (and identically) instead of him, people would either ignore, or be calling for blood because it replaces E1M8, and when remake a level from the original games, or hell even minorly update it, and chuck it into ZDoom, they want to cut your balls off, and send you to gulag for "trudging on holy soil"

Sweet mother Mary, get ahold of yourselves, and let people make what they want instead of making pointless controversy (yeah I know this sounds hypocritical lmao, but this isn't bait, far as I'm concerned that shit is over and done, and I don't wanna talk about it) over crap no-one cares about.

All's I'm saying, crucify me all you guys want.

I do respect Romero for his doings in the past but people should honestly tune down the praising. He made two new maps that are vanilla, just like the rest of the mapping community & people went crazy.

Just like you said: If a nobody made similar maps, nobody would either care or folks would go witch-hunting that said person.

It's ridiculous.

I liked the maps but they weren't super outstanding just because Romero made them freshly after 21 years of not mapping.

Taking a look at it, I actually like this a bit. I don't really like the Zdoom/UDMF stuff, but the changes in the level design itself are pretty well executed.