1. 1. Which textures to use?

• Chasm: The rift
    • Quake 1 + Malice
    • NMNCorp Complete
    • Powerslave
    • UAC Ultra
    • Darkening E2
    • AVP 2

Alright, it's this close and not changing so I'm closing the poll. We're going to be using Darkening E2 resources combined with Quake 1 + Malice textures.

I will also be including some skies created by Zakurum for this, and an optional WAD for hi-res versions of the same (link coming soon)

I'm also allowing the choice of what gimmick you want to use, so reservations for the mapslot x 10 gimmick will start now.
>>> Only reserve what you can make! I'm limiting reservations to 2 per person, don't hog what you can't handle. Nope, one per person now, and reservations are CLOSED

JUST A REMINDER FOR NEW MAPPERS: All Mayhem maps must be in Boom format!

Restriction options:
====================

+ Mapslot X 10 = monster count

+ 160 things total

CURRENT MAP RESERVATIONS thanks AD_79

Other rules:
============

+ No Dead simples on map07, or icons of sin on map30.

Map31 - Mapslot x 100 = monstercount. 3100 monsters, for our resident slaughter lovers heh

Map32 - 16 of each kind of monster placed. You can use any kinds of monster but there must be exactly 16 of whatever you use. ( You don't have to use every type of monster and tbh it would prob be less interesting if you did so. )

hmm, Mapslot x 10 = monster count, while a cool idea, might be hell to actually accomplish. Plus, it very well might mean that difficulty progression ends up being nonexistent. I'll go for that one anyway because I want to see if it'll work.

As for textures, I'll vote for UAC Ultra because I like that texture set.

Mapslot x 10. If that wins I definitely wanna claim MAP01.

kuchitsu said:

OpenGL texture packs are out of question.

Ditto. Voting for UAC Ultra because I'm picturing a grimy techbase tower in my head.

i vote for 160 things.

Getting battled between 3 different pretty good and unknown texture packs, but then i made my choice with NMN.

Of course should go with The Darkening 2 since noone used it for anything, like, ever (ok, maybe Impboy did but that's all I can think of).

Uac Ultra doesn't really have enough material for 32 maps imo. People will get tired of these few textures.

Breezeep said:

Why not use both themes?

MAP30: 160 things, 300 monsters.

EDIT: Ah okay, I see!
Just so my post isn't now completely useless, if I were taking part (which I still might try to), my vote would be for the monster count of mapslotx10. That sounds like it would be a more interesting WAD to play through imo.

I think he means give the option to choose, which I wouldn't be against actually! recanted

It would help in the event of people dropping their slots.

Mapslot x 10. I'd probably nab one of the later slots to help ensure that progression doesn't follow a necessarily upward trend in length and difficulty. 200+ monster maps can be itsy-simple, too!

Alright after some brainplay on irc i've settled on something a little different for the secret slots. 160 things or 310\320 monsters is kind of lame to have hidden\optional maps for, right? So I'm going with the following:

Map31 - Mapslot x 100 = monstercount. 3100 monsters, for our resident slaughter lovers heh

Map32 - 16 of each kind of monster placed. You can use any kinds of monster but there must be exactly 16 of whatever you use. ( You don't have to use every type of monster and tbh it would prob be less interesting if you did so. )

For bonus points, limit yourself to 16 health giving items total on UV but I won't demand you do this is mostly just an added challenge for people who like those. Hard maps are fun, and difficulty settings exist for a reason!

Heh, I kind of started mapping as soon as Donut issued the 16 grid restriction. Guess I won't be using that particular chestnut for this year's MAYhem. :P

Marcaek said:

Restriction options:
====================

+ Mapslot X 10 = monster count

+ 160 things total

Are these maximums or absolutes? i.e. is it "no more than this amount" or "must be exactly this amount"?

kuchitsu said:

OpenGL Texture packs work fine on ZDoom .

My vote goes for Mapslot x 10, will help with the sense of progression, unless map01 has 10x masterminds or whatever.

I'd love to see an Egyptian-themed community wad.

Plus maybe then morons would stop saying that any mod with Egyptian stuff in it is a ripoff of Epic.

The limitations are a tough call, since I still don't know how limiting they'd be in the longrun. The monsters limit would quickly make monster population par for the course: not unreasonable to have only a handful of monsters on map01, and several hundred on map 30.

So I guess I vote 160 things. It'll force a bit more creativity I think.

I like the idea of the "other rules" being mandatory. Sick to death of dead simples and icons.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

OpenGL Texture packs work fine on ZDoom .

Yeah, but this project is made for boom-compatible ports, so is better use a type of texture pack that works fine with anything lower than zdoom...

EDIT: the "other rules" option is mandatory or not? Just wondering...

I vote for 160 things, so that any particular map's slot won't be predestined by its monster count. I also voted for Quake + Malice textures, as I don't like texture packs like UAC Ultra where nearly all textures are too dark.

I voted for Quake textures, just because I'm more familar with them.

160 things sounds okay.

kuchitsu said:

Truecolor textures with non-Doomish colors could either be manually recolored to fit the Doom palette, or Mayhem could use a custom palette in which the textures would look good after auto-conversion, or there could be an "intermediate" palette combining the two ideas above.

I'm not sure about the textures yet. Darkening 2 looks really cool, but I'm also intrigued to make something with the Quake pack.

Seeing that Quake + Malice are indeed 90% brown (and the rest mostly grey), but each texture contains only one or two uniform shades of brown, maybe somebody would make soft green and possibly soft red recolors of those textures, or maybe even vivid blue/orange/green/red recolors, and add them to the resource.