Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Changing the player camera height.

Hello,

I'm trying to change the view of the player character. I'm using a shorter sprite, so I want to have a lower camera view and I also want the weapon fire to be lowered down too. But I can't seem to change it, I check the actor properties but they change nothing.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/actor_properties

I'm not at all sure what I am doing wrong. I'll paste some text from the decorate file. I'll leave out the sprites.

"ACTOR ColourGuyT: DoomPlayer
{
RADIUS 8
HEIGHT 8
Player.ViewHeight 20
Player.AttackZOffset 16
States"

I tried cameraheight too but nothing. Is it possible, or is the wiki being missleading?

I didn't think to actually no, thanks. I'll give it a go.

*Edit*

Well, I tried it but nothing changes. Here is his WAD. But yeah, I'm not sure what I am doing. As far as I gather I have put the classname in the right place as he works in the map like always, just with no height changes. I edited the MAPINFO but things remain the same.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vn9yi4zq2tvrvw0/TestGuy.rar

Also to skip downloading if it matters, here are his lines. (I changed ColourGuy to TestGuy because that was an old name when I didn't know making the sprite green would allow colour change.)

Decorate
"ACTOR TestGuy: DoomPlayer
{
RADIUS 8
HEIGHT 8
CameraHeight 20
Player.ViewHeight 20
Player.AttackZOffset 16
States
{
Spawn:
CGUY A -1
Loop
See:
CGUY ABCD 4
Loop
Missile:
CGUY E 12
Goto Spawn
Melee:
CGUY F 6 BRIGHT
Goto Missile
Pain:
CGUY G 4
CGUY G 4 A_Pain
Goto Spawn
Death:
CGUY H 10
CGUY I 10 A_PlayerScream
CGUY J 10 A_NoBlocking
CGUY K 10
CGUY L 10
CGUY M -1
Stop
XDeath:
CGUY N 5
CGUY O 5 A_XScream
CGUY P 5 A_NoBlocking
CGUY Q 5
CGUY R 5
CGUY S 5
CGUY T 5
CGUY U 5
CGUY V -1
Stop
}
}"

S_Skin

"name = "ShortMan"
class = "TestGuy""

MAPINFO

"Gameinfo
{
PlayerClasses = "TestGuy"
}"

You are mixing methods of making a player class with methods of making a skin. Player classes define both the player's appearance and behavior via DECORATE, while skins define only his appearance. So, do you want to create a player class, or do you want to create a skin? If the former, get rid of the S_SKIN lump and put the sprites between sprite markers, and if the latter, give up trying to change ViewHeight or Radius / Height or any other behavior affecting properties. Also, perhaps the GameInfo method of adding a player class doesn't work in Zandronum yet, so if you're using Zandronum, try the KEYCONF method instead (or updating your Zandronum might help).

I usually find new player classes in a separate lump called "Player". Maybe create one? Also, if I'm right, it should be

Testguy : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer

As opposed to

Testguy : DoomPlayer

The way you have it now, Testguy inherits properties from DoomPlayer, but doesn't appear anywhere. In my version, Testguy takes the place of DoomPlayer.

scifista42 said:

You are mixing methods of making a player class with methods of making a skin. Player classes define both the player's appearance and behavior via DECORATE, while skins define only his appearance. So, do you want to create a player class, or do you want to create a skin? If the former, get rid of the S_SKIN lump and put the sprites between sprite markers, and if the latter, give up trying to change ViewHeight or Radius / Height or any other behavior affecting properties. Also, perhaps the GameInfo method of adding a player class doesn't work in Zandronum yet, so if you're using Zandronum, try the KEYCONF method instead (or updating your Zandronum might help).

Ahh yes thanks again, I got rid of the S_SKIN lump and put in the markers and it worked. Sure he replaces the original DoomGuy but that doesn't matter as he is too big for the map anyway. All I have to do now, is just tweak the values to get the camera just right because as of now, its gone way low...so at least I know the value has been changed now.

rabidrage said:

I usually find new player classes in a separate lump called "Player". Maybe create one? Also, if I'm right, it should be

Testguy : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer

As opposed to

Testguy : DoomPlayer

The way you have it now, Testguy inherits properties from DoomPlayer, but doesn't appear anywhere. In my version, Testguy takes the place of DoomPlayer.

Ay I did the Testguy : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer which seems to have worked wonders. Thanks a bunch!

Xegethra said:

Sure he replaces the original DoomGuy

If you wanted both DoomPlayer and TestGuy to be available, you would simply put both class names after the PlayerClasses command in GameInfo, or you would omit the clearplayerclasses command in KEYCONF, or you would add a line with addplayerclass "DoomPlayer" into KEYCONF.

Ahh cool, I will note this thanks. As it is now, the original character isn't to be played as. But at least I can do that now should I ever want to make a WAD that can swap between them.

No, I was just messing around with the values to see how much it changes. I've managed to get it right though. Tried to position it roughly where his gun is and it has worked, everything looks to scale.